PDA

View Full Version : use of a transformer?

RadarContact
06-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I have some pro-audio outdoor speakers that use built-in transformers to manage impedence. These units are beautifully built and look amazing btw, a really nice product that's perfect for my needs.

Anyone know how the transformers effect the sound quality?

(FYI: They are PASO Sound's C55DMSTW model, http://www.pasosound.com/PDF/PF211_PASO.pdf page 37)

buildmeabox
06-17-2006, 11:08 PM
The transformer allows the installer to connect more than one speaker in parallel to a single output, I've seen up to 20. The trick is the amp must have a 70volt or 25 volt output in order to connect to a speaker with a transformer. You can bypass the transformer, if possible just select 8 ohms or if available 4ohms.

Transformers do not effect the sound reproduction at all. They are designed for comercial use where a stereo signal is not needed. You will normally find this type of speakers in your local hospital, wallmarts and the type you have in a patio at a nice bar & grill, connected to a mono amp.

If you have any ??? pm me as don't frequent this area.

Good Luck

joetama
06-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Another purpose with 70volt line setups is when you are going to have the speakers a long distance away from the amp. You have much less loss using the voltage system than running a regular impedance setup.

As for the transformer, if it is a good quality transformer then the loss in it should be minimal or meaning that you will not notice an audible difference.

You can just bi-pass the transformer if you don't have an amp that is 70volt and the speakers are going to be some what close to the amp.