PDA

View Full Version : How bad do I need midbass???

Beerdrnkr
06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Like the title says. I went to tweeter and was listening to some of their component speakers and I really liked the Focals, but I noticed that the Bostons around the same price were louder but lacked on the midbass. I was just wondering since I will be running 3 12's is it better to go with the louder components or the better all around Focals? I'm thinking the 12's might compensate for the midbass of the bostons and I wouldn't want the Focals to get drowned out by the bass.

revrider1
06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
You need it only if you like it...

Worlddre
06-11-2006, 12:19 AM
it could have been the way the bostons were set up because every set of bostons ive set up be it Pros or Z6s the midbass was there

Beerdrnkr
06-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Well the boston's had midbass, but nothing like the focals did. I think I'm gonna have to buy the focals on monday. I was thinking maybe the bostons would get tinny or harsh sounding at high volumes.

Kickerkitty
06-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Well the boston's had midbass, but nothing like the focals did. I think I'm gonna have to buy the focals on monday. I was thinking maybe the bostons would get tinny or harsh sounding at high volumes.
You probably heard them getting less than 100 watts. Many comps will show you what they can do with that, but Bostons won't open up until you give them a couple hundred. I think the Bostons are superior, and yes I have heard Focals, but they're both great speakers.

Beerdrnkr
06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Crap, now I gotta go listen to em both again. I think the focals might be the better choice without subs, but with 3 12's I think I'm gonna need something that can get real loud.

yacoub
06-11-2006, 11:34 PM
May I ask which Focals? I was at a Tweeter today too and listened to several items they had. The Focals are really expensive at Tweeter (can be bought online for about half the price but I dunno if that is through an authorized dealer or not) but they sounded pretty good.

My final conclusion is that I wasn't COMPLETELY satisfied with any of the following: Polk SR6500, JL ZRs, or Focal 165K2Ps. Not enough to spend $800-1000 on them. Each song seemed to sound noticeably different on each of them and I wasn't completely happy with all songs on any one particular speaker. It seemed like each set sounded better for different songs. And of course there's the reality that they will be inside a car where ambient noise will likely drown out any REAL differences between them. That just makes it even harder to spend THAT much money on speakers though.

I listened to the Focal 165KFs which are somewhat a lower model and while they were "ok", again I wouldn't spend the asking price ($500 IIRC) on them. They might have been underpowered though, due to being installed in their demo room as Rear speakers. I thought the lower end Focals (I forget which model but their power handling was very low) that they had in their other demo room with the lower end items sounded about the same and I'd have liked to compare them directly with the 165KFs.) Also demo'd the Polk MoMos but they were missing a very noticeable range of frequencies compared to the cheapy set of Focals that were in the low-end demo room with the MoMos.

I am having a lot of trouble picking component speakers at Tweeter. They're an item I'd much rather buy online due to the price difference but I don't have the time or tools to do things like fab/install them.

I'm sort of at a loss at this point.

Worlddre
06-11-2006, 11:40 PM
its hard to base an opinion on some speakers based on hearing them on a sound board.....ive set up each of the systems you mentioned and they are all very nice although i didnt like the jls that much....they sounded better when i was able to set them up properly in car.....see if you can find a way to hear them in car if not your stuck with the sound board

Beerdrnkr
06-12-2006, 12:00 AM
I went back to tweeter and I actually liked the Boston pro's and the high end focals but they're definately not worth paying what tweeter wants for em. I liked the focal 165ca1 which is the coaxial, but the 165a1 component model doesn't get very loud, especially compared to the boston SL60. Has anyone ever thrown a coaxial in for front stage and I would probably throw in another tweeter for the stock tweeter location, and throw another set of coaxials in the rear. If anyone has please let me know how it sounds. Also, would I need an external crossover or would the one on the amp work? My amp is a Power Acoustik A600-4HP, I know it's not very powerful but I'll upgrade to US Amps later.

Kickerkitty
06-12-2006, 12:32 AM
May I ask which Focals? I was at a Tweeter today too and listened to several items they had. The Focals are really expensive at Tweeter (can be bought online for about half the price but I dunno if that is through an authorized dealer or not) but they sounded pretty good.

My final conclusion is that I wasn't COMPLETELY satisfied with any of the following: Polk SR6500, JL ZRs, or Focal 165K2Ps. Not enough to spend $800-1000 on them. Each song seemed to sound noticeably different on each of them and I wasn't completely happy with all songs on any one particular speaker. It seemed like each set sounded better for different songs. And of course there's the reality that they will be inside a car where ambient noise will likely drown out any REAL differences between them. That just makes it even harder to spend THAT much money on speakers though.

I listened to the Focal 165KFs which are somewhat a lower model and while they were "ok", again I wouldn't spend the asking price ($500 IIRC) on them. They might have been underpowered though, due to being installed in their demo room as Rear speakers. I thought the lower end Focals (I forget which model but their power handling was very low) that they had in their other demo room with the lower end items sounded about the same and I'd have liked to compare them directly with the 165KFs.) Also demo'd the Polk MoMos but they were missing a very noticeable range of frequencies compared to the cheapy set of Focals that were in the low-end demo room with the MoMos.

I am having a lot of trouble picking component speakers at Tweeter. They're an item I'd much rather buy online due to the price difference but I don't have the time or tools to do things like fab/install them.

I'm sort of at a loss at this point.

Ok man, step back and think for a second.

You need speakers that are accurate, and loud.

Now go read reviews about Boston Pro60's, learn.
Go to Ebay, pay $300 for them.
Install and drift into audio bliss.

get going!

Kickerkitty
06-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I would urge you to reconsider the components, they really are far superior to the coaxials. If you don't know what to get, start of with something inexpensive. You have options. Just about any comps are better than coaxials man...

I went back to tweeter and I actually liked the Boston pro's and the high end focals but they're definately not worth paying what tweeter wants for em. I liked the focal 165ca1 which is the coaxial, but the 165a1 component model doesn't get very loud, especially compared to the boston SL60. Has anyone ever thrown a coaxial in for front stage and I would probably throw in another tweeter for the stock tweeter location, and throw another set of coaxials in the rear. If anyone has please let me know how it sounds. Also, would I need an external crossover or would the one on the amp work? My amp is a Power Acoustik A600-4HP, I know it's not very powerful but I'll upgrade to US Amps later.

Beerdrnkr
06-12-2006, 12:37 AM
I would urge you to reconsider the components, they really are far superior to the coaxials. If you don't know what to get, start of with something inexpensive. You have options. Just about any comps are better than coaxials man...
Yeah, your right. I better take the safe route and get components for the front.

heyman421
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Midbass grows on you, even if you don't want it now, you'll want it once you hear it every day in your car.

It brings the bassline on the subs together with the music. After adjusting to proper midbass in my car, i can't be without it.

And i would x2 components if you need something to keep up with a big bassline.

I've heard there's people on both sides of the coax vs. component fence when it comes to imaging, tho.

lilmaniac2
06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
no way the subs are gonna compensate for lack of midbass in your component setup

Beerdrnkr
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Ok, I'm going with the Focal comps and coax's. Thanks for all the help.

Johnny Drama
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
You need mid-bass like a fatty needs a twinky ;)

I'd rather have the Focals over the Bostons, but depending on model the bostons should handle more power and get louder. The Focals will sound better though IMO.

Beerdrnkr
06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm getting the focal 165a1 and the focal 165ca1 over the Boston SL60 and S65S.