PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting box building tools

springy101
06-10-2006, 04:37 AM
do you think all this looks good enough for a beginner to start building boxes, mdf rings, etc with?

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1504/woodstuff3rf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

James Bang
06-10-2006, 04:57 AM
no.. doesn't look good...

looks great.. but you can get a 10" table saw for much cheaper than that.

Pyro_By_Nature
06-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Most of the stuff at harbor freight ***** donkey ballz......

Eldorado
06-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Dont get that style soldering gun
Get an iron
I have both and the gun is annoying even though its more wattage

springy101
06-10-2006, 06:05 AM
no.. doesn't look good...

looks great.. but you can get a 10" table saw for much cheaper than that.
are there any websites that are better for tools?

springy101
06-10-2006, 06:11 AM
and also, is a jointer worth getting to make the sides perfect ?

forceofwill
06-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Harbor frieght is cheap, but their tools are cheap :P I've snapped like 17 thousand of their prybars in half. I have a Weller soldering gun and it's a real PITA to use, it's really heavy. I just use my butane powered iron from radio shack most of the time. Cordless ftw!

djman37
06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I also use Frame Clamps, MDF blade (200 tooth), Jasper Jig, flush bit, round over bit, jigsaw, and a drill w/lots of bits.
I NEED a better table saw. The router I got from Harbor Freight DOES NOT fit the Jasper. and I need a belt sander and/or planer.

springy101
06-10-2006, 10:35 PM
how does this stuff look, its local to me

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/169421573.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/167534945.html

iceteebone
06-10-2006, 11:07 PM
kudos for using a brad nailer

springy101
06-10-2006, 11:17 PM
kudos for using a brad nailer
is that sarcasm?

iceteebone
06-10-2006, 11:18 PM
is that sarcasm?

no. i use a brad nailer. i don't know why more people don't use them. save a lot of time and no counter-sinking

springy101
06-10-2006, 11:20 PM
ya, a couple of pulls on the trigger and your done, **** countersinking takes way to long

Eldorado
06-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Its fun to shoot kids with the nails as well
ooops.....i mean
wood :D

springy101
06-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Its fun to shoot kids with the nails as well
ooops.....i mean
wood :D
in woodshop i was tempted to pull back the safetyguard with my fingers then shoot at things, never had the balls to though:blush:

AcidicDreams
06-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I just bought a bunch of tools from www.toolsdirect.com

free shipping over $200 and everything came within a week...

get skil stuff if you only plan on doing your own work... they'll do the trick if your're not working on projects daily...

AcidicDreams
06-10-2006, 11:38 PM
get a router, circular saw, table saw (I barely use mine but I got a used makita for $100) lots of clamps (get these http://www.toolsdirect.com/presentationpage1.cfm?pagename=productdisplay&productid=224212&manufacturer=Irwin and buy the pipe locally) uhh and whatever else you want... I also have a jig saw and a ton of cheapo bits + nice ones for each cheapo I've broke...

Eldorado
06-10-2006, 11:41 PM
in woodshop i was tempted to pull back the safetyguard with my fingers then shoot at things, never had the balls to though:blush:
I shot my finger without any nails
the hammer is pretty powerful

Kagymp5
06-11-2006, 02:25 AM
you shouldn't need a jointer as long as ur fence on the table saw is true then it will cut good smooth edges all the time

DarkFox
06-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Dude, for years I have been doing systems with a Walmart black&decker Jigsaw and 14V Cordless drill. For sanding neets, I just buy the sandpaper, jig myself a 1" X 1" X 5" peice of wood to wrap the papaer around and sand. With all those tools.. you should be good

springy101
06-12-2006, 02:26 AM
well i can get a table saw for 25 locally, but it needs a fence and the guy says it needs new handles but he just uses a c-clamp, i didnt really get what he was talking about with the handles but do you know where i could find a fence besides ebay?

Kagymp5
06-12-2006, 02:46 AM
well i can get a table saw for 25 locally, but it needs a fence and the guy says it needs new handles but he just uses a c-clamp, i didnt really get what he was talking about with the handles but do you know where i could find a fence besides ebay?
you can make a useable fence in a few ways you could use a piece of straight alumn, or steel and 2 clamps or check with the manufacter*sp* and buy a new one
either way will work as long as u set the fence straight

springy101
06-12-2006, 02:55 AM
so i could just get 1 c clamp for each end of the table and clamp down a piece of metal and that would work fine?

Rawb
06-12-2006, 04:37 AM
spend the money on a good table saw.... get a cheap router.... n your gooddont buy some old *** fan belt driven table saw that maxes out at 20 rpms.... you can get decent cheap new ones at home depot or sears... harbor freight is good for long waits and future broken tools....

MadAudio
06-12-2006, 04:44 AM
this is funny for the last 2 weeks i have also been getting tools together nothing fancy though as i dont have alot of room or a garage.
one thing i found that can be used as a combo tool ruler,t square cutting guide
is the johnson adjust a square cost about $20 @ home depot
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00002N5OK.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
your lucky to have room for a table saw i ended up getting a circular saw and kinda cheap at that craftsman 7 1/4" for around 30 bucks figured i just use it with a good blade .picked up a bunch of bar clamps cheap $7 each at local hardware store only thing im looking for right now is a router i dont know how much your looking to spend but the skil shop site has some decent deals not great tho as the routers only cost like $10 more brand new
http://www.skilshop.com/images/product/medium/1820-rt.jpg

ohh and i also saw a electric brad/staple gun today cheap $30 specs said it can drive up 5/8" brads would be something handy for carpeting/finishing but if you wanted to do whole box your gonna need a real set up compressor etc

springy101
06-12-2006, 05:57 AM
this is funny for the last 2 weeks i have also been getting tools together nothing fancy though as i dont have alot of room or a garage.
one thing i found that can be used as a combo tool ruler,t square cutting guide
is the johnson adjust a square cost about $20 @ home depot
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00002N5OK.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
your lucky to have room for a table saw i ended up getting a circular saw and kinda cheap at that craftsman 7 1/4" for around 30 bucks figured i just use it with a good blade .picked up a bunch of bar clamps cheap $7 each at local hardware store only thing im looking for right now is a router i dont know how much your looking to spend but the skil shop site has some decent deals not great tho as the routers only cost like $10 more brand new
http://www.skilshop.com/images/product/medium/1820-rt.jpg

ohh and i also saw a electric brad/staple gun today cheap $30 specs said it can drive up 5/8" brads would be something handy for carpeting/finishing but if you wanted to do whole box your gonna need a real set up compressor etc
that router you have shown was likie 80 bucks on some tool site so i dont think itll be good for me. and yes my dad has a compressor so i could use a good nail gun. ive seen some routers for sale around my house for like $30-$40 so i think i might get one of em. oh and t squares are very usefull, i might have to pick that thing up.

Kagymp5
06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
so i could just get 1 c clamp for each end of the table and clamp down a piece of metal and that would work fine?
yeah, and just remember to measure both the front and back (distance from blade to fence) to make sure its squared up and cut away

etznova
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
i would get yourself some 90 degree clamps also they make assembling the box a breeze you can get them at like menards for less the 7.00 or 8.00 bucks in aluminum

springy101
06-12-2006, 03:47 PM
i've heard about those 90 degree clamps, but what do they do? can they fit on corners so you can clamp 2 sides of the box at a time?

springy101
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
would a radial arm saw be able to replace a table saw and function just as well?

MadAudio
06-12-2006, 07:52 PM
that router you have shown was likie 80 bucks on some tool site so i dont think itll be good for me. and yes my dad has a compressor so i could use a good nail gun. ive seen some routers for sale around my house for like $30-$40 so i think i might get one of em. oh and t squares are very usefull, i might have to pick that thing up.
its 59.99 on the skilshop website iirc free shipping also.
you might want to check out pawn shops in your area they tend to have good tools cheap i was just at one near me and they had a couple of porter cable routers for $50 to bad the ones they had are fixed base or i would have gone home with a $150+ router for $50 :crap: .
the plunge base for it costs $60 ouch.
i ment to ask you is this something your gonna be doing for yourself or for extra cash etc? if your gonna be making boxes often your better off getting decent tools to start with saves money in the long run.
just trying to help.

springy101
06-12-2006, 08:17 PM
its 59.99 on the skilshop website iirc free shipping also.
you might want to check out pawn shops in your area they tend to have good tools cheap i was just at one near me and they had a couple of porter cable routers for $50 to bad the ones they had are fixed base or i would have gone home with a $150+ router for $50 :crap: .
the plunge base for it costs $60 ouch.
i ment to ask you is this something your gonna be doing for yourself or for extra cash etc? if your gonna be making boxes often your better off getting decent tools to start with saves money in the long run.
just trying to help.
just for myself, and maybe if a friend needs a box i can make him one, but im not starting my own box building business any time soon.

springy101
06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
would a radial arm saw be able to replace a table saw and function just as well?
bump, can i get an answer to this please?

springy101
06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00921802000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Table+Saws&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
if i cant find a good used one i might just buy this one. ill just use a circular saw to initially cut the 4x8 into smaller pieces, then use that saw to finish up the cuts.

azbass
06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
tools psh. are you need is a trusty hammer and hand saw.

saywhat?
06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
dont buy ANY craftsman table saw. your better off biting the wood.

Rawb
06-12-2006, 10:30 PM
no it wouldnt... you wont be able to cut that deep with one.... they are good for finishing trim.. etc.... get a table saw and you will love life.... also save wood... money etc... i live in sac also i see them on craigs list all the time... my uncle got an industrial one with a 6ft table for $150 about a year ago off there... its awesome... i spent $200 and got a decent one from home depot and wouldnt trade my table saw for any tool in my garage full of tools except for my compressor... you will find yourself doing ltos more then speaker boxes and car audio stuff if your a handy man type...

prochobo
06-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Table saw is a must. It beats the hell out of having Home Depot cut your **** and **** it up.

springy101
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
no it wouldnt... you wont be able to cut that deep with one.... they are good for finishing trim.. etc.... get a table saw and you will love life.... also save wood... money etc... i live in sac also i see them on craigs list all the time... my uncle got an industrial one with a 6ft table for $150 about a year ago off there... its awesome... i spent $200 and got a decent one from home depot and wouldnt trade my table saw for any tool in my garage full of tools except for my compressor... you will find yourself doing ltos more then speaker boxes and car audio stuff if your a handy man type...
ya i have been searching on craigslist but i havent been able to find a complete one, only ones missing fences and stuff like that.

Rawb
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
yeah just either hang in there and pounce on one when it pops up or bite the bullet and pick a new one up... i would personally spend the money on a decent table saw of all tools if i were to have to go cheap it would be on the router and clamps...i got my table saw a while back and after tax it was 199.xx over at the home depot off power inn and folsom. just a cheap royobi but it sure does the job and does a nice job doing the job...

springy101
06-12-2006, 11:18 PM
yeah just either hang in there and pounce on one when it pops up or bite the bullet and pick a new one up... i would personally spend the money on a decent table saw of all tools if i were to have to go cheap it would be on the router and clamps...i got my table saw a while back and after tax it was 199.xx over at the home depot off power inn and folsom. just a cheap royobi but it sure does the job and does a nice job doing the job...
they have a 10" ryobi for like 99.99 at the home depot by me, i might pick that one up.

Rawb
06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
yeah i was gonna get that one but look at the size... the next step up is the one i got like 169-179 or somethin....you get the fence and its quite bigger... i have a buddy who's dad passed away and might be selling his table saw at a decent price it was a nice one from sears craftsman but still nice... i just called him and he is gonna talk to his uncle to see if he wants it before he sells it but he's gonna get back to me... if he decides to sell it ill pm ya the info and you can give him a call if your still lookin for one...good luck on whatever path you take... you will be happy with a table saw no matter what ya do...

springy101
06-13-2006, 12:15 AM
yeah i was gonna get that one but look at the size... the next step up is the one i got like 169-179 or somethin....you get the fence and its quite bigger... i have a buddy who's dad passed away and might be selling his table saw at a decent price it was a nice one from sears craftsman but still nice... i just called him and he is gonna talk to his uncle to see if he wants it before he sells it but he's gonna get back to me... if he decides to sell it ill pm ya the info and you can give him a call if your still lookin for one...good luck on whatever path you take... you will be happy with a table saw no matter what ya do...
ok cool, and hes local also right? in the sacramento area?

joeldirt
06-13-2006, 12:54 AM
and also, is a jointer worth getting to make the sides perfect ?

As a piece of advise, don't spend the money on a jointer to get better cut lines... If you must achieve a perfect cut line over cut your piece and then clamp a straight edge to the exact dimension you need then flush trim it with your router.. This is allot easier if you own a router that you can mount in a router table... This makes allot of MDF dust so a dust collection system of some sort ( Shop vac ) would be recommended.

your table saw should provide you with the results you need... And should be able to cut your pieces to exact dimensions with out having to take the extra step, but If it doesn't you shouldn't have spent the money on the piece of equipment... However you can produce a better cut if you are a one man operation by building a table around the table saw that is flush with the table saw table top, to in-feed for cross cuts on longer pieces and out feed for longer pieces on a ripping cut

Good router bits to own are a flush trim bit, straight flute bits 1/4" , 1/2" , 3/4" , also a round over bit set is a good thing to have... Those are basic... A rabbet bit can also be handy... I always use half inch shank, and a 3 1/4 hp router as I use my router for a wide variety of things such as cabinet making raised panel doors and such... But you can get one for around 60 bucks that will fork fine from sears if you treat it gentle... It's cheap, but does the job better then any other cheap *** harbor freight deal... Trust me. Do not plan on relying on harbor freight tools... They are good for screwdrivers, and misc hand tools, nothing that requires precision, or that involves a motor... It's not worth it...

joeldirt
06-13-2006, 12:59 AM
dont buy ANY craftsman table saw. your better off biting the wood.

I own a craftsman table saw... The 600 dollar model... I use it for dadoes now, and the powermatic is the primary table saw... But before the powermatic, I used the craftsman to build allot of stuff... Solid cast iron table top rip capacity of 25 inches and a 3/4 stand... aproximately 350 lbs. The thing is perfect for what he is doing and well worth the investment... The cheaper craftsman stuff is cheap... But is better qualituy cheap then any other cheap crap out there trust me... They offer a waranty too which is an added benefit over other tools...

But other good models that are also decently priced, are Delta, Grizley, Dewaldt, and Bosch.

I always keep a sharp blade, and change out from my cross cut tripple chip, to my Freud Diablo Rip blade for when I am ripping hardwood... The best blade to use for cutting MDF with the cleanest cuts, is a fine cross cutting blade like a tripple chip. Expect to pay about 60 bucks for a good 10" blade... You can spend as little as 10 bucks on a blade... It won't last long, and the investment on the more expensive blade will pay for its self over time... Trust me. I never let the motor bog down and I never stop the piece in the middle of a cut... Once the piece enters the wood it goes through smoothly... I always keep my fences calibrated, yet they rarely ever find their way out of adjustment.

Rawb
06-13-2006, 04:45 AM
yeah, he's a local he lives over in the madison/auburn area and the saw at his moms house in the gb area...

springy101
06-13-2006, 05:32 AM
yeah, he's a local he lives over in the madison/auburn area and the saw at his moms house in the gb area...
cool, i actually live in loomis about 30 min away from sac but pretty close to granite bay.