PDA

View Full Version : which crossovers are better?

Sentinel
06-09-2006, 05:01 PM
i have a set of Diamond HEX s600s and a set of CDT HD-62s..im using the the cdt woofers and tweeters...

my question is which cross overs are better?

the cdt ones are the SatNet- 480s

the hex im not really sure...

spudracer326
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
the speakers will sound better on the cdt's the reason being they are the crossovers meant to be used with the speakers....they have the better crossover points for the speakers

Jaredl
06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
You should always use crossovers designed for the speakers you're using. People don't realize what goes into a passive crossover, and think that it will have the same crossover point for any speakers. Passive crossovers need to be designed around a speaker's actual impedance curve, and good passives will often have all kinds of parts such as zobel networks and notch filters, all of which have to be designed for a specific driver.

Sentinel
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM
ok, thanks guys..because i've heard of a lot of people mixing and matching crossovers and woofers and tweets. thanks guys

squeak9798
06-09-2006, 06:01 PM
ok, thanks guys..because i've heard of a lot of people mixing and matching crossovers and woofers and tweets. thanks guys

It is possible to do, and many times with good results.

However, majority of the people doing such a thing have taken the time to properly match the speakers being used to the design of the passive crossover being used. They (hopefully) aren't just blindly mixin' and matchin' different speakers with different crossovers.

If you are running passive, you almost always want to use the passive that came with the speakers. Very few times is it better to use a different passive.

Sentinel
06-09-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks for the quick replies guys :D