PDA

View Full Version : Argument with a friend....cold air intakes....

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 01:35 AM
I was talking with a friend of mine today and he won't budge on this topic. He is set on getting an AFE cold air intake for his durango which will run him 260,and i was saying that the pacesetter one they offer for his car would do just as good of a job at 193. Should he spend the extra $ and get the higher name brand one or will it honestly matter?

azbass
06-09-2006, 01:37 AM
its a filter on a stick. think abou that before he go's spending the $

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 01:38 AM
lol thats pretty much what i said. i told him that if they both use a 3" tube how is one better than the other? Only way is if 1 puts the filter in a better location for air, that and the more expensive one comes with a box..............oooooohhhh pretty:p:

Airman21
06-09-2006, 01:39 AM
its not worth the money for a durango... now if it was something he was wanting to soup up then its a dif. story... tell him to get the cheaper one.

azbass
06-09-2006, 01:41 AM
iv seen a mean ram air on a durango. with a functional hood scoop. probably the only worth thing doing. imo.

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 03:50 AM
i did the cheaper route on my dakota b/c i'm not sure if i will ever go with a ram air hood. i'll tell him to go with the cheaper assuming they both use 3" pipe.

photocrazy8
06-09-2006, 03:53 AM
what is he trying to gain with this intake?

project f-150
06-09-2006, 03:55 AM
tell him to get the cheaper one and buy some stickers with the more expensive name to put on it and take the extra money to a bar!!

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 03:58 AM
it only became an argument b/c i tried telling him he's throwing $ down the drain and not a small amount but 100 bucks. i linked him to this thread and he is seeming like he'll go with the cheaper one.

dkmesa
06-09-2006, 04:01 AM
More expensive ones in some case show a couple more HP gains but nothing that makes too much of a difference. Honestly, according to the manufacturers of my catback, cold air intake, and grounding kit I should have gained almost 30 HP and 25 lb/ft of torque at the wheels, but if I had to guess, I'd say I gained about 10 HP.

Let him decide on his own, but he shouldn't waste money on the more expensive one IMO

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 04:02 AM
plus if he save's $ and enjoys it i'll get me some beer lol. with the more expensive one's i've read they can be more limited as they have that stupid box that can limit air flow.

photocrazy8
06-09-2006, 04:03 AM
tell your friend of he does not plan on twin turboing it any time soon to not even get one...he is only gonna get maybe 5 hp...

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 04:06 AM
people do things not just for power ya know;). he's trying to let his car breathe more than it is right now and this'll help.

squeak12
06-09-2006, 04:16 AM
I got the ebay one for 25 or 30 for mine. Its no different than the others. I didnt really expect a big increase either. It was more cosmetic than anything. I might get a better filter though.

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 04:32 AM
problem is they don't sell a lot for his/my model and year. he has a 98 durango i've got a 97' dakota and they don't make a lot of them for those cars.

ownage9
06-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Cold air intakes gain 2-3 horsepower MAX on a close to stock or semi-modded car. I've seen them actually lose horse on a dyno because the metal heated up so badly. The only cold air I would ever buy would be a densecharger. (no longer made) They were made of hard plastic and actually showed sufficient gains in horsepower. No, not 10+ but around 5. I had one of the metal bbk ones on my mustang for about 3 months, it made a terrible whistle (not into all the rice noises) and it hit my engine mount bars when my engine throttled. And on my mustang, i'd assume the BBK cold air I had gained me 1 hp, only because of the new k&n filter.

Alpine CDA-9815
06-09-2006, 07:44 PM
All the CAI's do the same thing and make right around the same amount of power. There is no magical 5-10 HP more CAI. I've tested three different CAI's on my GTO, everyone made right about the same power... maybe 1-2RWHP difference which isn't even enough to feel or worry about. So basicly it comes down to how much you want to spend, what brands you like and what one you think would look the best. If he likes the looks of the one he wants the best I say go for it, though if he is getting it cuz he thinks it will make 5+ HP more than another it's not worth the extra $$$.

Silver
06-09-2006, 09:27 PM
I'd only get a CAI if the truck was modded. No need for a CAI on a stock vehicle.

Mine comes with a CAI from the factory :).
neenerneeener

bumpin_blazer
06-09-2006, 10:05 PM
my truck is semi-modded and will be more so in 6 months that's why i did it. it helps more with air flow than anything i think.