PDA

View Full Version : OMG What do i do now? Jasper/Circle Cutout Quest.

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 12:22 AM
i heard to make a flush cutout for my 18xxx u gotta cut the circle to a diameter of 18.75". well, i just found out right now my jasper 200 goes up to 18 3/16.

should i just go ahead and cut it to 18 3/16? or what??ahhhhh i dont know what to do..

i want to use my router and not a jigsaw!!

-dante

paulie
06-07-2006, 12:39 AM
i've heard of people making their own........but i didnt quite understand how to do it because i have never seen a jasper jig and don't know what it looks like or how it works. but since you have one you can pry model one after it with some wood.

ngsm13
06-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Draw a **** circle...

Can't keep your hand steady? Trace a line?

;)

nG

DarkFox
06-07-2006, 01:21 AM
you can put a screw in the center, take a sting to the handle of your router, then tighten it (the string) until its the right lenght.

MikeyB
06-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah you definately gotta cut the hole big enough to be able to get your fingers in there to pull that beast back out after you drop it in lol. Just use a jigsaw and take your time, or make a longer jig outta some thin wood. I've done that before when I had to cut a bunch of rings, I just took a thin piece of wood that I cut out and drilled a hole for the router bit to punch through, then I screwed it to the base of my router. It was kinda ghetto but it worked fine. If I were you though I would honestly just jigsaw it. :)

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 01:26 AM
you can put a screw in the center, take a sting to the handle of your router, then tighten it (the string) until its the right lenght.

smart idea. i like ur thinking.

but i forgot to mention that i found that homemade tutorial on how to make ur own.

http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=99

MikeyB
06-07-2006, 01:30 AM
smart idea. i like ur thinking.

but i forgot to mention that i found that homemade tutorial on how to make ur own.

http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=99 (http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=99)

Crazy, thats the same thing I did. Mine didnt look nearly as fancy but o well.

iceteebone
06-07-2006, 01:39 AM
idk bout you kids but i can't freehand perfect circles with a jigsaw.

ngsm13
06-07-2006, 01:42 AM
idk bout you kids but i can't freehand perfect circles with a jigsaw.

I can follow a line, aka... trace a circle that is drawn. ;)

nG

MikeyB
06-07-2006, 01:43 AM

nG

Hand eye coordination FTW!!!

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 01:49 AM

nG

dayum noah... ur talented and quite unique.

iceteebone
06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
hmmmm

what the dickens is a jasper jig?

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 02:00 AM
hmmmm

what the dickens is a jasper jig?

sarcasm?

iceteebone
06-07-2006, 02:02 AM

sarcasm?

no

who and or what is a jasper?

DarkFox
06-07-2006, 02:05 AM
a deice for a router that is made to cut perfect cicles. one end attaches to your router, you run a screw into the center of the circle you want in the other end of the jig

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 02:05 AM
u know the invisible little ghost....?

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 02:06 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009K77A.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

iceteebone
06-07-2006, 02:10 AM
u know the invisible little ghost....?

i thought it was an irish man in a skirt who did a dance

iceteebone
06-07-2006, 02:11 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009K77A.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

tis ****. i want one

dbornotdb
06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I hope you can follow this, as it will save you a butt load of time from making another jig.

Use your Jasper for all the length you can get out of it.
The use a rabbit bit for the last 9/16" with a bearing guide. After that rabbit bit, use a straight cut bit to even it all out.

Thats a way to make even clean holes widerthan they originally were without a pilot hole available or your jig falls short.

danteBirosel
06-07-2006, 10:42 AM
wat size rabbiting bit should i get?

dbornotdb
06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Well you need 9/16" more. So that size rabbit bit would be ideal. But would you ever use something that size again to justify the price? Probally not.
So here is what I suggest.........

Get a smaller one and do multiple passes. It will mean alot if bit changing though. As you would have to rabbit it then flush cut it, rabbit it, flush cut....you get the picture.

As you come to the end, it is possible you may have less material to get rid of than the bit is wide. So here is where I would get a wider bearing to put on the rabbit bit to hold it back so it only cut what you need.

nVRuckus
06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
i heard to make a flush cutout for my 18xxx u gotta cut the circle to a diameter of 18.75". well, i just found out right now my jasper 200 goes up to 18 3/16.

should i just go ahead and cut it to 18 3/16? or what??ahhhhh i dont know what to do..

i want to use my router and not a jigsaw!!

-dante
Dante you can cut out as big as you can go and then do a rabitting bit on each side till you get the circle you want then flush it even.

/edit oops didnt read anyone elses response LOL.

MikeyB
06-07-2006, 12:33 PM
^^^ Thats good thinking guys!!!

Fast1one
06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Draw a **** circle...

Can't keep your hand steady? Trace a line?

;)

nGHahahaha.....thats what I do.....doesnt come out perfect but **** good enough....

helotaxi
06-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Why bother with the rabet bit at all. The dimensions on the Jasper jig are based on a 1/4" router bit. If you use a bigger bit you get a bigger hole. If my math is right, a 17/32" bit would work for the exact size that you want. Use a 9/16" to give yourself a little room to get the sub in and out of the hole.

1loudsuv
06-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Why bother with the rabet bit at all. The dimensions on the Jasper jig are based on a 1/4" router bit. If you use a bigger bit you get a bigger hole. If my math is right, a 17/32" bit would work for the exact size that you want. Use a 9/16" to give yourself a little room to get the sub in and out of the hole.
the only thing i see wrong with this maybe is that his gonna have to make the aligment hole on the jasper jig bigger. to be able to pluge the router. i know they sell other jasper jigs for bigger sizes why screw yours up. heh but those jasper jigs are pretty cheap anyways. not price but build quality stupid place where they bolt to the router is weak i have one first time i installed it, it cracked. so i havent took it off cause i dont want to break a $50 piece of plastic. they should of made the jasper jig out of metal i would rather pay 100-150 and not worry about breaking it.

AcidicDreams
06-08-2006, 06:00 AM
the screws jasper include **** too... I snapped the head off one the first time I installed it... so the jasper is still attached as is because I got it lined up and tight w/ 2 screws for now

helotaxi
06-08-2006, 06:02 AM
On the larger jig, the alignment hole is plenty big, shouldn't be an issue. I'm still trying to figure out how you broke the thing mounting it to the router...debris between the router lange and the jig? What the hell are you guys torquing screws with that you are snapping the heads off? You just need to snug them up, not crank them tight. You'll get a much better alignment with them just snug, less likely to deform the jig and les likely to break it...Don't ever plan on working at a machine shop...

1loudsuv
06-08-2006, 06:15 AM
On the larger jig, the alignment hole is plenty big, shouldn't be an issue. I'm still trying to figure out how you broke the thing mounting it to the router...debris between the router lange and the jig? What the hell are you guys torquing screws with that you are snapping the heads off? You just need to snug them up, not crank them tight. You'll get a much better alignment with them just snug, less likely to deform the jig and les likely to break it...Don't ever plan on working at a machine shop...

i cracked the jig its made out of like 1/8 plastic where the screws mount wich is bs.

helotaxi
06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I know whatthey are made of, I have the two smaller ones. I haven't had any problems. But I also know not to overtighten screws.

AcidicDreams
06-08-2006, 02:20 PM

new screws, new router, both freash out of the package. The screw went from loose to broke in the same instance. It was just a crappy screw

djman37
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Home Depot paint stir stick FTW!!!!
makes a fine jig.

Grab a piece of aluminum barstock, that'll work too.

buMpWeLL
06-11-2006, 02:30 PM
bunch of butchers :up2somet:
use a larger bit or just get a piece of plywood, 2"*15", drill mounting holes for your router on one end, measure the correct radius and drill your pivot hole on the other end. Put the pivot rod in and there ya go