PDA

View Full Version : Towers with these 8" Usher woofs + ?

mattmcss
06-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Alrite, I keep pestering everyone for info on different home audio setups, but I think I'm finally ready to get going now that I've got my own place. I'm mainly looking for something that sounds good at close ranges, not trying to blow any windows out or anything of that nature. With that being said, I find these woofers awfuly ****

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=296-616

or is it completely overpriced ?

For the high end I was thinking of a planar tweeter, how does crossing around 2500 sound ?

Beat_Dominator
06-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Most planar's need x-over at like 4k, so make sure the one you want can go as low as 2.5k.

mattmcss
06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Most planar's need x-over at like 4k, so make sure the one you want can go as low as 2.5k.

well, looks like that usher can go up to 6k, not sure if i'd wanna go that high with it. So if I had to i could go higher.

joetama
06-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Make sure that the tweets are low enough or that mid is high enough, looks pretty high... Also, keep in mind that it's going to drop a lot of intelligibility modulating low really low and really high frequencies at the same time. Also, make sure that the sensitivity is relatively similar so you don't have to do a bunch of padding on the cross-over.