PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or do Type R components ****?!?!!?

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 04:30 AM
I've got some 6.5 Alpine Type R's in my 4runner running off of a JL 300/4 right now and they are not impressing me at all. At 3/4 volume they're allready getting drowned out by my sub and that's only with a thousand watts goin to it, soon it will have a new box and 2500 watts so I know the Type R's definitly won't even be close to keeping up then. When I do turn everything all the way up, they get pretty loud, but they sound like straight a$$. The tweeters are just blaring and killing my eardrums and it seems like there's no precision to the sounds coming out of the speakers. Everything just runs together, it doesn't sound good at all. I do realize they're not sealed into the door perfectly in a seperate pod and i don't have any sound deadning material, but I just wanted a speaker I could pop in the door that would be able to play the actual vocals and music over the bass and do it with some quality still. Is my setup just wrong or do these speakers **** as much as I think they do?

Pyro_By_Nature
06-04-2006, 04:37 AM
I've been saying this since day one.......... (that they ****)

If you listen to rap, you might be able to get away with thinking they sound good.

But if you ever listen to rock/metal, you're going to find they sound like total ***.

slick rick
06-04-2006, 04:41 AM
they are worse than bad...friend of mine switched from them to rainbows and the difference was more than night and day.

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Yeah I didn't really research em at all. I had some Type S's in my old Ranger with just a 10 inch JLw3 so those sounded good. And when I started building a bigger system in my 4runner I figured stepping up to the Type R's would do me good. Boy was I wrong haha. I mean I guess for rear fill they'll work out, but I seriously can't hear **** when i'm goin full blast.
So I guess I should replace the front speakers then huh? Gotta start lookin into what's good on the market, I dunno **** about speakers and brands and what's good and all that.
Should I get some that take a lot more wattage since they'll be competeing with a sub powoered by 2500 watts? If I do that I guess I gotta get a new amp. ****!!! The bills just keep adding up during this build lol.

NJAV1
06-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Yeah I didn't really research em at all. I had some Type S's in my old Ranger with just a 10 inch JLw3 so those sounded good. And when I started building a bigger system in my 4runner I figured stepping up to the Type R's would do me good. Boy was I wrong haha. I mean I guess for rear fill they'll work out, but I seriously can't hear **** when i'm goin full blast.
So I guess I should replace the front speakers then huh? Gotta start lookin into what's good on the market, I dunno **** about speakers and brands and what's good and all that.
Should I get some that take a lot more wattage since they'll be competeing with a sub powoered by 2500 watts? If I do that I guess I gotta get a new amp. ****!!! The bills just keep adding up during this build lol.

Look at the Rainbow line, at the very least the SLC's. I haven't met, spoken, or heard of anyone being disappoined with what thier Bow's have offered in the way of sound quality. The Cal25 tweet has recieved praise for their sound and the mids thump nicely. Deaden the doors and enjoy.

Pm 6spdcoupe, he's the one to talk to in terms of anything Rainbow.

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Yes I have been reading for the past hour or so and it seems to be Rainbows accross the board lol. Is there a site taht I can see some pics and all the specs on em? I haven't come across a link to anything like that yet. I don't wanna bother 6spdcoupe utnil i know what i want to buy.

Kickerkitty
06-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Boston Pro60's get louder than ****, they can handle my 1200 watts in the trunk. Never lose clarity either.

NJAV1
06-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Here is the link to the Rainbow site, look around their product line and then ask Don (6spdcoupe) whatever questions you may have. Yummy Germs..

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=2

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Holy ****, how am I ever gonna pick from all those? 3 ways, 2 ways, Germaniums, SLC's, Kick or no kick package. This is gonna take forever:crying:

NJAV1
06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Holy ****, how am I ever gonna pick from all those? 3 ways, 2 ways, Germaniums, SLC's, Kick or no kick package. This is gonna take forever:crying:

Freedom of choice is lovely isn't it. :D

2LouDFoRThiS
06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
the type s actually sound a lot better then the type r..

Towncar
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Bostons are nice, ide also check out the pg xenons, they can get very loud, and sound good aswell.

KaPPaBaLL
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
type-r's ****. i made that mistake as well.

Blade476
06-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi there I am also thinking of upgrading my component speakers since a 500W subwoofer is over bassing my sound and in the front I have a pioneer 160W maxpow output speakers driven by the pioneer sterio amp. Rainbow speakers dont ship in our country. Does anyone have another suggestion for front component speakers? I will also install an amp for the front speakers.

Astyl
06-04-2006, 04:39 PM
To be honest with you the Type R Coaxials get louder then the Components do

snb778
06-04-2006, 04:39 PM
see, the only reason I got them is because the best sounding car ive heard...was with type R comps...they sounded great. This kid had an RSX with 2* 6.5" components, and id say a 145db daily system...listened to mostly Metal, and these speakers just shined. you could hear every word, no distortion, and decent midbass. This is why I bought them, but i cant get mine to sound even close to as nice....???

Pyro_By_Nature
06-04-2006, 04:41 PM
The type S coaxials (last I checked) sound MUCH better than the R's.People call me crazy for recommending the S's over the R's.But they do sound quite a bit better.The Hype R's are just selling on the higher end instilled image if you will.I just came inside from the heat, so sorry if that doesn't make much sense.Basically selling on the "type r" name alone.

If you want loud, I agree, boston pros can really dish out some output.

2LouDFoRThiS
06-04-2006, 04:50 PM
type x's are great too .. i dont know what happened to the middle man in the type r.

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 05:51 PM
How come the Rainbow SLC's come in a 3 way and 2 way set up, but the Germaniums only come in a 2 way set up?
And is there that much difference between the Kick SLC's and the regular SLC's? Just a lot more midbass I'm assuming? And I'd guess more midbass in the 465 Germaniums then the 265's right?

slick rick
06-04-2006, 06:01 PM
have you seen the 465 Germs...its TWO midbass drivers per side. :) that is a ton of midbass. any of the rainbow sets are fine. I own the Germs and do not regret buying them.

Astyl
06-04-2006, 06:05 PM
The Type S's do not produce much midbass, theyre mostly tweeter.. The Type R is the opposite

Mr. Opportunist
06-04-2006, 06:07 PM
The Type S's do not produce much midbass, theyre mostly tweeter.. The Type R is the opposite
R's have no midbass so i have no idea what your talking about...

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
have you seen the 465 Germs...its TWO midbass drivers per side. :) that is a ton of midbass. any of the rainbow sets are fine. I own the Germs and do not regret buying them.

Double Woofer System
(4 woofers = 2 per side)

Didn't see that the first time around on the Rainbow site lol. I bet those cost a pretty penny. MOst likely out of my price range. I dunno where I would put to mids anyways? I guess one in my door and one in the kick in a pod with the tweeter in my stock location. Cuz I'd have to do the same with the 3 way setup on the 3 way SLC's. Door, Kick, stock tweeter pod. I see this getting expensive:uhoh:

Astyl
06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
R's have no midbass so i have no idea what your talking about...

The R's have retarded ammounts of misbass in there price range

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 06:34 PM
They have midbass, but only if you cross em low and don't play em loud.

Astyl
06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
im talkin about the Type R Coaxials, not the components

The coaxials have significantely more output then the components

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 08:32 PM
If I was to use a pair of Q-logic kick pods (http://www.cardomain.com/item/QLCQLK4003B87?vq_id=none) Would it be better to use the stock tweeter location in the corner of my door right by the pillar or use the tweeter location in the kick pod?

dogears
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Type r's have really good midbass. I have had boston pros, cdt, and aura mobile reference comps (same car same install locations) and the bostons were the only ones close to the r's in midbass. From what you are saying I would be looking at the install before buying new speakers.

dleccord
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
couldnt agree more on the type s coax, their tweeters are clean:)

albarran9
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I'v had 2 pairs for type-r's and thire spiders are really weak. they tend to blow realy easly and they are not very loud or else if they dont play too clean. as for the midd bass, thats the only thing i like about the type-r's. its really punchy well only on some songs. and the tweets are overpowered by a sub if you have one thats doing 300 or more watts.

SkwurlyFab
06-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Type r's have really good midbass. I have had boston pros, cdt, and aura mobile reference comps (same car same install locations) and the bostons were the only ones close to the r's in midbass. From what you are saying I would be looking at the install before buying new speakers.

I agree that some of it has to do with the install. I don't have any sound deadening at all. But I can still tell that no matter how perfect the install might be with my Type R's, they will never be able to overcome the loudness of my sub. There's just absolutly no way at all. I will definitly be putting a lot more time into the install of whatever Rainbows I decide to go with. I'm still waiting on a reply from 6spdcoupe on all the prices and everything. I really don't have any idea on if I should go with a 3 way set up or a 2 way set up. The double mids of the Germanium 465 sounds like it would be amazing and definitly a fun build with a beautiful outcome, but I doubt I have enough money for that, I'm sure it will be bank.:crying:

Hybrid90accord
06-05-2006, 02:50 AM
see, the only reason I got them is because the best sounding car ive heard...was with type R comps...they sounded great. This kid had an RSX with 2* 6.5" components, and id say a 145db daily system...listened to mostly Metal, and these speakers just shined. you could hear every word, no distortion, and decent midbass. This is why I bought them, but i cant get mine to sound even close to as nice....???

one of the most honest replys I've read in this thread. it just not as easy as buying some component and droping them in and expecting great sound. it takes planning, location, power, and tuning. I know people that have bought $1000 mb quart components and have it sound like **** does it poor singal processing, wrong x cover points, etc. I've heard the so praised rainbow componets that sounded like **** but it was probably user error as in 99% of customer complaints with most componets. I only have 40 watts going to my woofers and 40 watts going to my tweeter in active and in their door molded sealed enclosure and gains set right have no problem blending with my w6v2's, though their not type rs I've installed about 8 sets and only around 2 or 3 sounded like **** that was because either the owner had 2 much bass and drowned them out or had a shitting signal source so no matter the speakers it would sound like crap

SkwurlyFab
06-05-2006, 02:59 AM
I see what you're saying about the install making them sound good, and I agree. But don't you think that no matter how great the install is that a set of type R's just won't be able to keep up with a sub pounding off of 2500 watts?

woody89
06-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I have the type S coaxils, they do sound much better than the R's. I heard both and there is no comparison imo.

brianj
06-05-2006, 03:44 AM
Wonderful, I just bid on a set of 6.5" Type R Comps and a set of 6.5" Type R Coax. :crying: Oh well, they gotta sound better than my stock Bose speakers right? :hilariou:

SkwurlyFab
06-05-2006, 05:17 AM
Oh man, that ***** I'm sorry. If I woulda known you were gonna be bidding on those, I woulda posted this a couple days earlier:p: it's all good though, they're not bad sounding IMO. They're just not loud enough to play over my sub.

Blade476
06-05-2006, 03:22 PM
SkwurlyFab Have you found the ideal components since I have the same problemos!! and worst of all in Malta you have to buy that which you cannot listen to!!

eisenhower
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Just a thought regarding the type r and s, maybe your all not giving the R's enough power?? Any speaker thats well powered will sound better than one thats not regardless of speaker quality.
Another thought, maybe you need to tweak the EQ a bit, usually if its not cutting through its due to lack of mids.
That said, I bought some type r coaxials (last years model) and they sound fine, and thats off HU power.

SkwurlyFab
06-06-2006, 02:50 AM
They're rated at 70 watts RMS, 350 peak. I'm powering 4 Type R 6.5's off of a JL 300/4, and wired em like usual, positive to positive, negative to negative so they're getting as much power as possible. The amps rated at 75x4, I guess they could take more but I don't wanna risk it. That's why I'm thinking I need some speakers than can take a lot more power. It sure would be nice if I could make these work though. I'm not too profesional with all the settings on my HU, but I have it high passed at 150, otherwise they'll distort at full volume REALLY bad. I should just start ****ing around with em before I decide to buy new speakers probably.

protonman
06-06-2006, 05:24 AM
yes, I have alpine 6.5 type R components and it sounds okay but nowhere near good quality as my boston pro 5.2 that I had from 1990(one tweeter is blown).
But the type R cost is almost half price as boston pro, focal, rainbow, infinity kappa. When I first got my type R and powered up with my infinity 740 amp feeding only front channels at 112x2, no rearfills. I was disappointed at the low volume levels, so I bridged the amp into 2 channel feeding 278x2 into my typr R and it was loud and clear. Sat there and rang bunch of music, highs sounded good but not like boston quality, midbass was good but nowhere near tight as bostons, but then again bostons were 5.25 and type R is 6.5. Type R bass sounded more boomy and door panels rattle little bit, no deadner yet.

I have the type tweeter setting at +3db and it nowhere sounded loud or clear as my bostons. But for the cheap price, I don't think you could do better than the type R for right now.

If I were you, suggest first to just power up the front type R and disconnet the rear speakers and feed the type R with that jl amp more power, just bridge it 2 channel mode and see what you get. Yes, the woofer does distort at high volumes on some low bass notes. ALso the efficiency rating is kind of low on this type R compared to other components. ALso remember that bostons are 3 ohm so probably getting more power. I had my bostons running with ads pq10 at 80x2 and it sounded better than my 278x2 alpine type R, somehow sounded more clear and louder. But I didn't really do very ideal same condition test, just recalling from prior listening test.

ALso loudness is very much effected by the tweeter location to my ears so try different mounting location for the tweeter.

final conclusion, I would say type Bass woofer is good as other and can get very low notes but distorts at some really low bass,,, so cutoff frequency is needed.
the tweeter is just not cutting it at all compared to the higher models of different brands but is heads above shoulder when compared to other brands within the same price range.

I like to get some bostons, focals, rainbow but there all $$$.

adam71
06-06-2006, 02:28 PM
To the thread starter:

So let me get this straight, you want to run a sub with 1kw and soon to be running 2.5kw to it and you want components that will keep up with it?? Not to mention you want it to sound "good". I hate to break it to you but there aren't many speakers in the world that can get that loud and sound good doing it. Also, once you get that sub moving a bunch of bass around your vehicle your ears will no longer be able to discern quality sound from distorted garbage. So basically if you're running that sub and amp setup then it won't really matter what components you get because you won't be able to tell the difference from Rainbow Reference comps and Pyramid coaxials. The whole point of being an SQ system is to have bass that is proportionate with the rest of the drivers in your system and be able to hear all the details of the music. If you're on the other side of the spectrum and just like to get loud then why worry about the sound.? Its hard to accept but you will not be easily pleased trying to have the best of both worlds.

SkwurlyFab
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I fully see what you're saying Adam71, it makes sense. I guess in this hobby, industry, life of car audio, whatever you wanna call it you can either go for SQ or SPL. And you can't really find a perfect medium. I sort of find that hard to believe, but like you said, with a sub that powerful, it's gonna be hard to find anything to play over it. I appreciate your input, maybe my expectations were just a little too high. This is my first large build. I've had plenty of little 10's and 12's and speakers running off ****** amps in my day, but never have I put so much time and money into a full complete build like this. And it's funny cuz as hard as I've wored at it so far, it's still no where near the scale of some other peoples systems on here lol.
I am gonna go out and bridge the front 2 speakers right now and see how that does. I'll post up in a little bit on how it goes.

Sleeklsc
06-06-2006, 08:29 PM
i just sold my 6.5 comps r's....imo, the midbass was a tad muddy but was all dependent on what type of music i was listning to..the tweeter was good and kept up with 3 12" mtx 8000 and 2 12" type r's just fine running off a 1500 rms mtx 1501d..

i will go ahead and say its the install....you really have to fine tune a system before you can just blame it on a crappy speaker..i've done that before and kicked my a$$ several times...though somtimes if i just drop em in with a previous speakers settings they will still sound great...

check the x-over on all the components in the system and set all the gains ect from the tutorial...

SkwurlyFab
06-06-2006, 11:07 PM
OK they're defnitly louder. I dunno If i'd say louder or just more piercing, I mean my ****ing ears are ringing right now, and the tweeters are set at 0db not +3db on the crossovers. But the speakers pop a little at high volume and don't sound clear in the vocals so I gotta reset the gains and I'm not sure if I have the formula right.
Before they were set to 17.3 volts because it was a 4 ohm load getting 75 watts. voltage= square root (4x75). But now that they're bridged to 150watts a piece, I'm kinda confused on how to get the voltage rating.
The speakers are wired in parallel (+ to + and - to - right?). So because they're bridged is the amp still seeing a 4 ohm load? Or an 8 ohm load?
With the 4 ohm load I get V=24.5. With an 8 ohm load I get V= 34.6.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks:)

adam71
06-07-2006, 12:06 AM
What did you mean by "bridging the speakers"??? Do you mean you're bridging your amp that was powering your comps.??

pikers
06-07-2006, 12:15 AM
...Unless you pit them against Kappas, then everyone will bash them. Most of course, having only heard them running off a head unit...:rolleyes:

SkwurlyFab
06-07-2006, 12:22 AM
What did you mean by "bridging the speakers"??? Do you mean you're bridging your amp that was powering your comps.??

I used Y cables on the front speakers rca cable to connect the HU to the AMP. Left lead to front and rear left RCA input on the amp, Right lead to front and rear right input on the amp. Then bridged the front left speaker to the front channel of the amp, and the front right speaker to the rear channel of the amp. So what voltage should I get and with what formula so i can set my gains? Should I take a picture and post it, I re-read what I wrote about hoooking it up and it seems confusing.

adam71
06-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I used Y cables on the front speakers rca cable to connect the HU to the AMP. Left lead to front and rear left RCA input on the amp, Right lead to front and rear right input on the amp. Then bridged the front left speaker to the front channel of the amp, and the front right speaker to the rear channel of the amp. So what voltage should I get and with what formula so i can set my gains? Should I take a picture and post it, I re-read what I wrote about hoooking it up and it seems confusing.

Ok, so you bridged a 4 channel amp down to 2 channels??

dogears
06-07-2006, 12:29 AM
If they are popping at high volumes crossed at 150 then you have the bass turned up really high or some type of bass boost on. Mine are crossed at 80 and I have a hard time getting them to pop at high volumes with any type of music.

noob with an RS
06-07-2006, 12:31 AM
it's just YOUr type-r components.

LoudCrownVic
06-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I almost bought a set of them from th returns pile at best buy... Glad i didn't.

SkwurlyFab
06-07-2006, 06:05 PM
My bad I ****ed up my HU a little. They were crossed at 40, I dunno what I was talking about with 150. Crossed it back at 150 and it's fine. But I unbridged everything and set it back to 4 channel mode because my car couldn't handle the load of both those amps pushing mass wattage and was cutting out cuz all i have is a stock alt and a yellow top.
Plus no one was able to help me with the gain setting so I got over it. You'd think someone on here would know it??? Whatever though.

adddisorder
06-07-2006, 08:33 PM
im never around this fourm much but the r's take way more then 70rms give them around 140. just use the passive crossover they come with and let your HU play on full rage. in my opinion they are excellent speakers considering you can get them for under 150$$ they really need alot more power then recomended though to really sound good.

work on sealing them off better and bridge your amp agian to give them 150rms each. and it will still see a 4ohm load not 8 by the way

SkwurlyFab
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM
so set the gain to 24.4 with my DMM then? Seems pretty high seeing as it was only 17.3 last time.

adddisorder
06-08-2006, 01:33 PM
not really sure about your gain. are you running an active crossover?

SkwurlyFab
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know what it means to be running active. I see people writing about it all the time but never really looked into it cuz I get the sense that it's all very compliceated. The only ways I'm crossing em over is setting the HP on the HU to 80 with a 12db slope and then the crossovers that came with the Type R's are being used inline with all the wiring and the little plug taht slips over the 2 prongs are on the 0db setting for the tweeters. Does that help? Should I be doing it some way else?

adam71
06-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't know what it means to be running active. I see people writing about it all the time but never really looked into it cuz I get the sense that it's all very compliceated. The only ways I'm crossing em over is setting the HP on the HU to 80 with a 12db slope and then the crossovers that came with the Type R's are being used inline with all the wiring and the little plug taht slips over the 2 prongs are on the 0db setting for the tweeters. Does that help? Should I be doing it some way else?

Lets start with the basics.

Active crossover - preamp......in other words the high pass and low pass of the frequencies is done BEFORE the amplifier in the signal chain.

Passive crossover - AFTER the amp. Example of a passive is like the crossover that came with your Type R components.

So when you hear someone talking about going active it means they are NOT using the passive crossovers that come with component sets. They're using an active X-over or a processor that has one and sending a preamp siganl to the amp that has already been filtered (high pass or low pass) to the amp that is powering a particular speaker. An example of that would be only sending high frequencies to an amp that will be powering the tweeters.

Hope that helped a little.

SkwurlyFab
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah I'm definitly running a passive set up then. Sounds like an active set up offers a lot more tunability, and takes a lot more time to set up. Mainly for the sound quality guys then? I don't need that much adjustablilty on my crossovers. Just enough to get everything to blend nicely and come out nice and loud while staying loud you know?

One quick question to anybody that might know: Just how big of a difference is there between the Rainbow SLC 265 Kick and the Rainbow SLC 365 Kick speakers? The 365's have another midrange speaker in there includeing the midbass 6.5 and the tweeter right? It seems like if the 6.5 speaker is made just for the 80-180hz kickbass range taht it would make a lot more sense to have that 3rd speaker in there with the SLC 365 kick set up. Can anybody comment on this out of first had experience at all?

rider
07-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Buy a good head unit and have the settings on the readio and amp right and you'll have one of the best components in your car. Im tired of hearing people complain about their product when they dont know how to use them to get them at their best performance.

Eugenics
07-25-2006, 12:33 AM
where is spkrman to defend his r ****?

Astyl
07-25-2006, 12:34 AM
where is spkrman to defend his r ****?

Hes busy watching TV instead of building the box for the guy that sent him money in january and still hasent received his box yet

Eugenics
07-25-2006, 12:35 AM
HUGE surprise

WhoSayWho?
07-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Buy a good head unit and have the settings on the readio and amp right and you'll have one of the best components in your car. Im tired of hearing people complain about their product when they dont know how to use them to get them at their best performance.

Easy big guy, no one here wants to upset you.

Moderators, can you please delete any posts on this forum that Rider might find upsetting?