PDA

View Full Version : need box help! two 15" kicker L5s in 94 accord

aaron7114
06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Tomorrow I am ordering two 15 inch kicker L5s. I was going to do a sealed box but everyone said ported was the way to go for SPL with L5s. I've never made a ported box before, only sealed. So i dont know much about it. This will be going in a 1994 honda accord. I hear a lot of people say that 4-4.5 cu ft is best for the l5 in a ported box but i dont really think I can get 8 cu ft in my trunk.

I would like it tuned around 32-35 (thats what I hear is good for rap/hiphop??)

So can anyone give me some suggestions?

Also would it be best to have the speakers and the ports facing the rear of the vehicle to bouce off the trunk and then make its way up to the front. Or speaker facing rear and ports facing the front, or both facing the front?

If someone could please plan me out a box for two 15 inch solor barics tuned somewhere between 32-35 with the ports and speakers facing whichever way would be best for SPL I would greatly appreciate it. Of course it would have to fit in my trunk. I might even be able to send you a little money via paypal, not much because the L5s are takin a chunk out of my wallet but still better than nothing. :)

That is unless everyone thinks I could go smaller than 4 cu ft for each sub?

prochobo
06-02-2006, 07:49 AM
You shouldn't have gotten 2 15"s. At almost the absolute most, 5-5.5 net is what you can get out of the Accord's trunk. Sorry man :(. I say you just use 1 15", sell the other.

aaron7114
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
There has got to be some kind of way to get two 15s ported in my trunk. The trunk is 13 cu ft.

aaron7114
06-02-2006, 07:04 PM
would it be totally wrong to do a sealed box for the L5s? What would be the best size? Or what about a vented box? I dont know much about those though.

prochobo
06-02-2006, 07:10 PM
There has got to be some kind of way to get two 15s ported in my trunk. The trunk is 13 cu ft.

The max dimensions I have gotten from the trunk for a box would be

32" length, between the back carpet walls
15" high, if you do any higher, you'll run into the piece of metal hanging off the rear deck. You can do up to 16 7/8" high, but you'll run into the metal latch and sacrifice depth.
30" deep, or just about

That leaves you with 6.8 cu ft.

Now, you need to subtract a few inches from the depth for sub clearance, subtract an inch or 2 from the length. I've got a 5.7 cu ft box in there right now, it's just about the largest you can fit.

And yes, running them sealed will probably ****. I say put one in the right box and sell the other.

aaron7114
06-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I really would like to have two of them. I just ordered 2 of them too, about 15 minutes ago. What about a vented box?

prochobo
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I really would like to have two of them. I just ordered 2 of them too, about 15 minutes ago. What about a vented box?

Oh wow, I told you they will not fit in the proper box and you went ahead and ordered them. Oh well, it's your money. Vented box = ported box. At this point, I give up, do what you want.

DarkFox
06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
do your seats fold down and if so how tall is the opening? you can try to do a infinate baffle and use your whole trunk as a box... or build a wall. A sealed box will work for those in the trunk... You will just get ALOT better response in the right sized ported. If you do a small ported you end up needing a crazy port length for the same freq. tunning and the box get increasingly hard to build while maintating proper port area and box volume. Good luck thought.

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 01:55 AM
do your seats fold down and if so how tall is the opening? you can try to do a infinate baffle and use your whole trunk as a box... or build a wall. A sealed box will work for those in the trunk... You will just get ALOT better response in the right sized ported. If you do a small ported you end up needing a crazy port length for the same freq. tunning and the box get increasingly hard to build while maintating proper port area and box volume. Good luck thought.
Yes my back seat does fold down. Right now I've got 2 15s and it takes up the ENTIRE trunk. No room to put anything else. Its 2 sealed boxes 4 cu ft each.

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 01:59 AM
its a 94 accord... I would just do a bunch a research and build a wall for them with like a 11cu. ft box and do a nice amp install in the trunk....

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 02:10 AM
its a 94 accord... I would just do a bunch a research and build a wall for them with like a 11cu. ft box and do a nice amp install in the trunk....
lol i dont want to get that into it. I gotta have my back seat. so its between sealed and vented unless someone can come up with some kind of crazy design to get two 4 cu ft ported boxes in my trunk. lol

dleccord
06-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Yes my back seat does fold down. Right now I've got 2 15s and it takes up the ENTIRE trunk. No room to put anything else. Its 2 sealed boxes 4 cu ft each.

that's a pretty big trunk then for an accord

80INCHES
06-03-2006, 08:16 AM
if u want i can design u a bandpass box for your car...it will peak high as all hell and will just be semi loud cuz the air space it will play in will be choking the sound ...u will hear something just dont expect to hit the lows well
so if u want it i have it

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 12:02 PM
do you think a sealed box or bandpass box would be better for the L5s in my car? Going mostly for SPL here.

Twistid
06-03-2006, 12:08 PM
d00000d if you want SPL then your gonna have to have a BIG ported box! end of story

i have 2 12 L7's in a ****** *** tiny 4.6 cube box and it sux! i want to get something around the lines of 6 cubes @ 40 hz then it will be game over :)

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
d00000d if you want SPL then your gonna have to have a BIG ported box! end of story

i have 2 12 L7's in a ****** *** tiny 4.6 cube box and it sux! i want to get something around the lines of 6 cubes @ 40 hz then it will be game over :)
I know this, but i can not get a two 4 cu ft ported boxes in my trunk, unless someone can figure out a way.

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
you should just go with 1 in the right sized box, return the othere, and get a good amp.

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
you should just go with 1 in the right sized box, return the othere, and get a good amp.
The thing is 1 i can't return the sub. 2 I have two 1600 watt amps ready.

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 01:06 PM
sorry to say but this is what you get for not doing research before you bought your stuff.. How wide/tall is your opening where your seats fold down?

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
sorry to say but this is what you get for not doing research before you bought your stuff.. How wide/tall is your opening where your seats fold down?
I'm not sure on dimensions but i always have my seat down unless of course more than 1 person rides with me and I have my two 15s facing the front right now. So its more than 15 inches tall and more than 30 inches wide.

Give me just a few minutes and i will go measure my trunk the best I can. It will be hard bc of my box in there right now takes up the whole trunk but you can get a general idea.

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I was saying this because you might be able to fabricate a panel to go right behinde your seats and hold your woofers... that is if it is at least 15 " tall and 30" wide. It would end up being the equivelent of a sealed enclosure the size of your trunk.... or if you can get more then 30 inches you can even port it. All depends... your going to have to get REALLY creative if you want to maintain your cab space. you said most of the time you have your seats down... you can do a box that you just sit in the backseat of your car with some quick disconnects so you can take it out easy if you need the space...

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
OK i went and measured my trunk and the opening. These might be SLIGHTLY off but it should give you a picture of what I have.

Trunk 16 inches tall, 40 inches long, 40 inches wide

Opening (kinda a "U" shape) the bottom of the opening is 20 inches wide, top of the opening is 32 inches wide, and the opening is 15 inches tall.

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
use 1 sub, ebay the other sub and amp... what are the amps btw?

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 01:52 PM
use 1 sub, ebay the other sub and amp... what are the amps btw?
Audiobahn. 800 RMS each. So your saying that 1 L5 in a ported box will be louder than 2 L5s in a sealed or bandpass box?

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 04:05 PM
drop the bandpass... you have already been told about 4 times that the bandpass is the bigest of the three boxes. You might be able to get the 2 in a sealed louder then the 1 in a ported... but as far as SQ goes the 1 ported will be much better and the SPL will be similar if you build it right.

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 04:12 PM
drop the bandpass... you have already been told about 4 times that the bandpass is the bigest of the three boxes. You might be able to get the 2 in a sealed louder then the 1 in a ported... but as far as SQ goes the 1 ported will be much better and the SPL will be similar if you build it right.
ok. i will prolly just go with sealed then. What size do you think would be best for each sub running 800 RMS? I should put that polyfill stuff in the box too right?

Also one other questions. Right now I have my subs facing the front of the car, usually i face them towards the back to bounce off the back because it sounds better but I was afraid that since the box took up the whole trunk that it would block a lot of the bass from getting back into the cab. What do you think would be best the L5s facing the front or the rear?

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 04:15 PM
which way to face them is up to you. whatever sounds best in your car... as for the box... as big as you can fit.. you said you already got 2 round 15s in there right? and that they take your whole trunk? I would just notch them to fit your L5s and call it a day.

aaron7114
06-03-2006, 04:19 PM
which way to face them is up to you. whatever sounds best in your car... as for the box... as big as you can fit.. you said you already got 2 round 15s in there right? and that they take your whole trunk? I would just notch them to fit your L5s and call it a day.
I've heard people say speakers are twice as loud and sound better facing the back but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference does it? I think it would be easiest to just change the holes on the boxes i have now which are 4 cu ft each and make them square. Keep the subs facing the front.

What about the polyfill? Should I put it in the boxes? What does it actually do?

Thanks

DarkFox
06-03-2006, 04:50 PM
the point of polyfill it to slow down the sound wave in a attemt to make the box sound deeper. sometimes it gives good results.. sometimes you dont notice it much. Another thing for you to experiment with and see what sounds best to you.

aaron7114
06-04-2006, 12:45 AM
the point of polyfill it to slow down the sound wave in a attemt to make the box sound deeper. sometimes it gives good results.. sometimes you dont notice it much. Another thing for you to experiment with and see what sounds best to you.
does it ever give bad results? or is it pretty much it works or it doesn't?

How many Dbs you think this system will hit? Just take a guess im not really asking just wondering what everyones guesses are. With my 6 year old mtx 15s I hit 146 running 400 RMS to each speaker. Of course with the L5s I will be running 800 RMS to each speaker. Same box though. I hope I hit at least a 150. Really would like to hit harder but i would be happy with 150. :)

edit: after looking at the L5 manual on kickers website it says in a 1.5 cu ft sealed box power handling is 750 RMS. In a 6 cu ft sealed box power handling is 450 RMS. I will be running 800 RMS, each sub in its own 4 cu ft box. Will that be ok?

DarkFox
06-04-2006, 02:26 AM
well if in the best situation those subs handle 750 RMS and you are running them at 800RMS you are already chancing it. the bigger the box, the less resistance to movement you have as it is easier to compress the air inside, so you lose power handling. I really doubt you will hit a 150 also. You need to stop asking for peoples opinions and do some research for yourself... If you want to seriously compete, you need to learn how to do these things for yourself. The more you research and find out for yourself, the less likely you will put together a mismatched system again in the future.

aaron7114
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
well if in the best situation those subs handle 750 RMS and you are running them at 800RMS you are already chancing it. the bigger the box, the less resistance to movement you have as it is easier to compress the air inside, so you lose power handling. I really doubt you will hit a 150 also. You need to stop asking for peoples opinions and do some research for yourself... If you want to seriously compete, you need to learn how to do these things for yourself. The more you research and find out for yourself, the less likely you will put together a mismatched system again in the future.
should I make the box smaller then?

DarkFox
06-06-2006, 06:49 PM
someone else please take over... I give up

aaron7114
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
well my L5s came in today. They look awesome. I will be installing them tomorrow. I think I am going to make my box a tad bit smaller than what it is now. Around 3.5 cu ft for each speaker.

aaron7114
06-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Well I got them installed today and it POUNDS!!! I made each box 3 cu ft minus whatever the speaker takes up. I faced them towards the trunk. There is about a 7 inch port in between the 2 boxes for some more space to help let the sound get up to the front. I put a bag of poly fill in each box. Right now I only have one of my audiobahn amps hooked up and im only running around 150 RMS to each speaker (I had to actually turn the amp down so I could hear the mids and highs!). My other audiobahn amp messed up a week ago and I gotta send it in and get it fixed. Once it gets back I will have 800 RMS goin to each sub.

My driver mirror and rearview mirror are completly unusable when its turned up because it shakes so much. My girlfriend has a hard time breathin when I turn it up real loud. It rained a little today and there was water on my car and i turned it up and shut all of the doors and windows and the seal around my back glass had bubbles forming from the air pressure pushing on the water.

Now...I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION...my sisters boyfriend has a Memphis 1000d amp that he said he would trade me for one of my audiobahn amps. I could hook his 1 memphis amp up and run around 500 RMS to each sub. Or once I got my other amp fixed I could run around 800 RMS to each sub. Do you think I should trade him or keep my two audiobahn amps? I know going with my 2 amps I would have more wattage but I know that memphis is a much better brand.

One more thing is there a noticeable difference after the L5s breaks in?

heyman421
06-12-2006, 12:16 PM
i'm not always in perfect agreement with darkfox :) j/k, but he's trying to help you, man

put one of those subs in a big box, tuned low, and you will destroy both of them the way you have them.

And ya, get a real amp, and a big alternator. Even if those Audiobahns can make 800w, which they can't, your factory electrical system couldn't give them enough power anyways.

Should've gotten rid of the 2nd 15 while it was still sealed.

You're going to bump into some 'chump' with a 'best buy system' with a 500w amp that's louder than you, and you're not gonna know what the hell is wrong. It happens all the time.

aaron7114
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
i'm not always in perfect agreement with darkfox :) j/k, but he's trying to help you, man

put one of those subs in a big box, tuned low, and you will destroy both of them the way you have them.

And ya, get a real amp, and a big alternator. Even if those Audiobahns can make 800w, which they can't, your factory electrical system couldn't give them enough power anyways.

Should've gotten rid of the 2nd 15 while it was still sealed.

You're going to bump into some 'chump' with a 'best buy system' with a 500w amp that's louder than you, and you're not gonna know what the hell is wrong. It happens all the time.
Well I've already installed the two l5s in the sealed box and thats what I am going to keep. Now I just need to know if the memphis amp will be better than my 2 audiobahn amps.

heyman421
06-12-2006, 01:57 PM
who cares, man

you do what you want anyways

doesn't matter if it *****, isn't that your motto?

aaron7114
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
who cares, man

you do what you want anyways

doesn't matter if it *****, isn't that your motto?
haha, no. and it doesn't ****.

thatkidbob
06-13-2006, 05:49 AM
The max dimensions I have gotten from the trunk for a box would be

32" length, between the back carpet walls
15" high, if you do any higher, you'll run into the piece of metal hanging off the rear deck. You can do up to 16 7/8" high, but you'll run into the metal latch and sacrifice depth.
30" deep, or just about
i've got 2 12" Kicker L7's in my 94 accord...

the box's external dimensions are:
31" wide
15.5" tall
22.25" deep

the box takes up about 6.18 cubes total... the inside of the box is about 4.96 cubes. The port almost takes up about a cubic foot... leaving 2 cubes per sub.

The box could have been maybe 4-6 inches wider. Maybe 4 inches deeper. No taller than 15.5 inches (at 16 inches the box wouldn't fit trough my trunk opening.)

Assuming 35w X 15.5t X 26d, you've got 6.64 cubes to work with... and umm... i wouldn't put 2 L7 15's in that. especially since the port would take up about half a cube of that.

unless you want to do something wild involving your entire trunk and fiberglass, its not happening...

thatkidbob
06-13-2006, 05:51 AM
the point of polyfill it to slow down the sound wave in a attemt to make the box sound deeper. sometimes it gives good results.. sometimes you dont notice it much. Another thing for you to experiment with and see what sounds best to you.Polyfill damps resonance.

a vented box's gain is due to resonance.

if you've got a ported box with a nasty peak you'd like to tame, polyfill is a good idea... if not...

edit: wait... i just realized dude went with a sealed box for his L5's. BAD decision.

*Honda*Bass*
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
post pics of your l5's in the accrod... I got a 94 accord too and am putting 2 15" l7's in it. Gonna have to build the box inside the trunk.