PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Digital vs. DTS

adam71
06-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done any A-B comparisons between these 2 surround formats. I have and find the DTS track to have better surround information and is more enveloping than Dolby Digital in most cases. Thats not to say that every DD soundtrack and every DTS soundtrack is created with all the same quality standards.

Now I always find myself looking for movies that have DTS over the same title that does not.

joetama
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
DTS tends to be more quality, I don't know off the top of my head if there is any "spec" difference, but it does seem to use the surrounds more and it is much more effective use.

Beat_Dominator
06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
It's a spec difference. DTS streams need quite a bit more bandwidth than Dolby.... I'll see if I can find the numbers.

Beat_Dominator
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=912409

Interesting read..... the opinions are a little annoying but good info none the less.

adam71
06-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Linky no worky.

Beat_Dominator
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Worked for me just now...kinda slow site but it loaded :confused:

adam71
06-02-2006, 01:16 AM
One thing I didn't see mentioned on that site was that there is actually different bitrates for DTS. The DTS full bit rate is 1,536kbps. However, unfortunately most DTS encoded DVDs are only 768kbps which is still 60% higher than Dolby Digital which is normally about 448kbps. To my undertanding the lower DTS bitrate was so that they would have room on a DVD for both DD (required on all DVDs) and DTS on the disc. If you can find any older DTS discs, they may have the DTS full bit rate. I don't have any titles for you guys but I do know that the SUPERBIT DVDs are encoded at the half rate of 768. But that is mostly due the fact that Superbit DVDs are encoded with the PICTURE in mind and only use a small percentage of the disc for audio.