PDA

View Full Version : Explorer owners, I need help!

DarkFox
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm looking at getting a 02 + Explorer sometime soon and am trying to figure out what kinda system I can do in it. I wanted to see if any of you had the dimentions for the back area (3rd row folded down). I want usable space side to side and floor to ceiling and from the headrest of the 2nd row as far back as you can do. If any of you have these measurments it would really help me. Thank you.

DarkFox
05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
bump

DarkFox
05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
49 " what way? I want to see if i can get a 22sq. ft wall in there so thats why i am looking for the max usable dimensions

xpl0it
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
probably man, i have a small 97 explorer sport and can easily fit a 12 cubic foot box back there. I have about 44" wide and about 29" deep.

_DjScrew_
05-30-2006, 08:01 PM
x2 i have a 97 4dr also. i have about a 10cu ft box back there right now.

mobeious
05-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Ok i got a 2004 explorer i got 2 MT 18's in the back no wall 14cubes box height is 22" bottom of headrest width is 47 if u have 3rd row i believe arond 50 if u dont have 3rd row but if u have 3rd row u can do 47 on top of box but the bottom has to be 43.5 look at my install on Termpro or Realmofexcursion ull see what im talking about...... so if u want to keep a square box u can do 43.5 wide 22 tall 35 deep if ur wanting to do a wall i would say bout 28 tall with angled back piece to avoid back window u can fit arond 14-15 cubes with out wall though

DarkFox
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
i noticed I made a mistake.. meant to say 22 cubic feet. How tall can you guys get back there?

DarkFox
05-30-2006, 09:17 PM
i think I wasn't clear at first either though... what I said from the headrest of second row I meant the length from there back... and from the floor to roof. I think a poorly hand drawn pic may be in order...

jluv
05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
I have a 2004 Explorer without a third row. I'm at work now, about to head home. If I can remember, I will take some measurements during halftime of the Mavs game (GO MAVS!).

It's pretty spacious back there.

You can get 22 cubes easily from the back of the second row to the back of the truck. In fact, if you used that entire space from the floor to the headliner, you could probably double that.

DarkFox
05-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey jluv, that sounds great.. thats what I am looking to do too.. 2nd seat to hatch and floor to headliner... Want to know what kinda usable space there is. Thanks for helping everyone.

jluv
05-31-2006, 01:34 AM
It's obviously not a perfect square back there, so these are the measurements of the smallest distances. If you built a box with these dimensions, it would fit, assuming that you could get it in there.

40" from top of rear seatbacks to inside edge of closed rear hatch

45" from left to right

33" from floor to roof

Again, these were taken at the smallest part of each dimension, so you would actually have larger distances at different points. I also rounded down to the nearest inch.

I can't find a calculator, and I've been out of school so long that my basic math is a little rusty, but unless I am way off, that's a little over 34 cubic feet.

DarkFox
05-31-2006, 02:22 AM
:ohsnap: 34.XX cu. ft though... :thankyou:

mobeious
06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
:ohsnap: 34.XX cu. ft though... :thankyou:
trust me u dont want a box that large in the back of a explorer i have around 16 cubes in mine and i can feel the weight in the back when turning and have HDF not MDF aka High Density Fiberboard weights about half as much as MDF and if u do all of the back were are the batteries and amps going????

DarkFox
06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
22cu. ft of box / wall leaves me with 12cu. ft of space (I will leave behind the wall) for amps, batteries, and caps. If I'm already talking about putting in a wall and all that.. do you think i am overly concerned with ride quality... Besides, if you wanted to you could fix your problems... Like get much higher rate springs for your rears to support the extra weight and limit body roll...

luvofmusic
06-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I have a 02 exp. and width is 44.5 carpeted 45 uncarpeted depth is 32 and height is a high as you want but mine is only 18. you can fit 2 batteries in the left panel. Of course I took out the third row seat and I have the amps under the box.

NeverEnuffBass
06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
22cu. ft of box / wall leaves me with 12cu. ft of space (I will leave behind the wall) for amps, batteries, and caps. If I'm already talking about putting in a wall and all that.. do you think i am overly concerned with ride quality... Besides, if you wanted to you could fix your problems... Like get much higher rate springs for your rears to support the extra weight and limit body roll...

You will notice a difference. put like 10 people in the car and drive around. should be comparable.

DarkFox
06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Man... I didnt think people on the car audio fourms would be trying to talk me out of a system... I mean I make a post about how much space there is, and I keep getting replies about how its a bad Idea. I have had a car with a wall in it before, and I dont care.. If I wanted a vehicle to go fast or handle good I:
A. Wouldnt get a SUV and
B. Wouldnt put a wall in it.
Please stay on topic... If you want to make statements about how a wall affacts handling and speed then find a post where somone asked or make your own.

NeverEnuffBass
06-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Man... I didnt think people on the car audio fourms would be trying to talk me out of a system... I mean I make a post about how much space there is, and I keep getting replies about how its a bad Idea. I have had a car with a wall in it before, and I dont care.. If I wanted a vehicle to go fast or handle good I:
A. Wouldnt get a SUV and
B. Wouldnt put a wall in it.
Please stay on topic... If you want to make statements about how a wall affacts handling and speed then find a post where somone asked or make your own.

I belive you were asking about ride quality... Everyone here is just trying to help you out before you go out wasting money and time on things that won't work but if you already had a car with all wall then you must know all about it. Sure there's plenty of room in your Explorer. The amount of usable room however....

mobeious
06-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Dude common man why do u need 22 cubes in the first place listen to us that have 02+ explorers my truck does 151.9 on music with the box i have now thats with the amps on the front of the box were the 2nd row seats are and the batts in a custom center rear console and the remark of puttin higher rate springs in the back if you know a lil bit bout suspension Ford puts those springs in the rear for a reason increasing the spring rate makes the spring stiffer therfor reducing the bound of the spring so in general ur truck will become bouncy and a 300+lb box in the back of a bouncy explorer = not good if u need more then 150db for daily driving then u need to find a different car to do it in maybe like a suburban or something

mobeious
06-02-2006, 08:12 PM
by the way here is my box its 14cubes http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/REAudio/mt18.5.wmv

DarkFox
06-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Thats a nice setup you got there Mobeious, and to everyone thank you for your input. I don't know if you read the whole thing NeverEnuffBass but I didn't ask anyone about there ride quality, how ever thank you for trying to inform me.

I just had a surgery and as such am bed bound, heavily medicated, and irritable, so no hard feelings.. I'm still going to go forward with the system I want but it wont be for a little while. The reason I want 22 cubes is for 4 06 L7 15s. 22 cubes covers woofers and ports with about 4.5cu. ft per. so thats what I am shooting for.

Also, just so you know what I was working with before, I had a 89 CRX lowered 4 inches with a wall right behind the drivers seat. It was 2 HCCA 15s with a HCCA 250R per.

Also had the same setup in a slanted half wall thing in my 98 Mustang Gt. That is untill I got deployed to Iraq and all my stuff got stolen out of my car while I was overseas.

Thanks again, and sorry if I had offended anyone. Just wanted to keep the post on topic.

NeverEnuffBass
06-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Thats a nice setup you got there Mobeious, and to everyone thank you for your input. I don't know if you read the whole thing NeverEnuffBass but I didn't ask anyone about there ride quality, how ever thank you for trying to inform me.

I just had a surgery and as such am bed bound, heavily medicated, and irritable, so no hard feelings.. I'm still going to go forward with the system I want but it wont be for a little while. The reason I want 22 cubes is for 4 06 L7 15s. 22 cubes covers woofers and ports with about 4.5cu. ft per. so thats what I am shooting for.

Also, just so you know what I was working with before, I had a 89 CRX lowered 4 inches with a wall right behind the drivers seat. It was 2 HCCA 15s with a HCCA 250R per.

Also had the same setup in a slanted half wall thing in my 98 Mustang Gt. That is untill I got deployed to Iraq and all my stuff got stolen out of my car while I was overseas.

Thanks again, and sorry if I had offended anyone. Just wanted to keep the post on topic.

My bad I read your earlier post wrong. You stated you weren't concerned about ride quality.