View Full Version : Fiberglass box Help

05-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok, well i made a really stupid mistake, i didn't seperate the two chambers for the subs, its going to be 2 12" L7's ported. I plan on using some PVC pipe for the ports and not vented.

Here's some pictures of the box.

and you can see it doesn't have a piece of MDF to seperate the two subs in this one.

its on the final stages of bondo, and i was bored so i decided to come up with a few painting ideas, thats why it has spraypaint on it.

but anyways, the way im thinking about fixing this, is going and getting some balsa wood, making a kind of frame out of it, and just laying some glass over it and make a fiberglass wall to separate the two chambers. I plan on running ports out the top.

Is it even necessary to separate the two chambers? Im pretty sure it is, but if it isnt, then it will save me a lot of time.

If worse comes to worse, i might just cut off the fiberglass front, and make new top, bottom and sides for the box, that way i can separate the two chambers.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated!

05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
It is not nessacary to seperate each sub.
But it is a debatable subject.

What amp do you plan on using to power this? That would help is the answer.

If your gonna run a single amp in mono, then don't worry about it.
If your gonna run a single amp in stereo, maybe.
If your gonna run an amp on each sub, then yes, seperate them.

05-29-2006, 05:42 PM
you'll be fine with out seperate chambers.
the reason you would build two chambers is incase one sub goes out, the other doesn't have double the air space to play in.

05-30-2006, 12:08 AM
I would be using an SX1250.1

How should the ports be aligned? I was planning on laying a peice of plexi on top of the box, and have a neon behind it to make a kind of illumination effect, and then im going to have a fiberglass amp rack on the top of that. Now i plan on running the two 4'' ports out of the top in a sort of \ / way, the \ / being the ports.

Is there any advantage of keeping them in seperate chambers even if i am using a mono amp? Or is there no point