PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass box Help

sofbass
05-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok, well i made a really stupid mistake, i didn't seperate the two chambers for the subs, its going to be 2 12" L7's ported. I plan on using some PVC pipe for the ports and not vented.

Here's some pictures of the box.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/sofbassist/DSCF0460.jpg

and you can see it doesn't have a piece of MDF to seperate the two subs in this one.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/sofbassist/DSCF0461.jpg

its on the final stages of bondo, and i was bored so i decided to come up with a few painting ideas, thats why it has spraypaint on it.

but anyways, the way im thinking about fixing this, is going and getting some balsa wood, making a kind of frame out of it, and just laying some glass over it and make a fiberglass wall to separate the two chambers. I plan on running ports out the top.

Is it even necessary to separate the two chambers? Im pretty sure it is, but if it isnt, then it will save me a lot of time.

If worse comes to worse, i might just cut off the fiberglass front, and make new top, bottom and sides for the box, that way i can separate the two chambers.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated!

dbornotdb
05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
It is not nessacary to seperate each sub.
But it is a debatable subject.

What amp do you plan on using to power this? That would help is the answer.

If your gonna run a single amp in mono, then don't worry about it.
If your gonna run a single amp in stereo, maybe.
If your gonna run an amp on each sub, then yes, seperate them.

Ingleside
05-29-2006, 05:42 PM
you'll be fine with out seperate chambers.
the reason you would build two chambers is incase one sub goes out, the other doesn't have double the air space to play in.

sofbass
05-30-2006, 12:08 AM
I would be using an SX1250.1

How should the ports be aligned? I was planning on laying a peice of plexi on top of the box, and have a neon behind it to make a kind of illumination effect, and then im going to have a fiberglass amp rack on the top of that. Now i plan on running the two 4'' ports out of the top in a sort of \ / way, the \ / being the ports.

Is there any advantage of keeping them in seperate chambers even if i am using a mono amp? Or is there no point