PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone sound better then stock?

ArrizX
05-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Seriously now, would I be able to go into any store, and pick up any kind of speak, and have it sound better then the stock.

Because I have found some really decently priced speakers, by some reputal (sp) brands.

Hence the quetsion, will anything (new) after market sound better then factory? :eyebrow:

bonesninja
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
short answer=NO

mach999
05-28-2006, 04:06 PM
In my case...no. I bought some aftermarket speakers and ran them off the factory headunit and it sounds marginally worse than the stock speakers. I am about to amp them so hopefully this will change things.

XaznKewLguyX
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
depends on what kind of car, I know the older model stock speakers from honda were pretty much paper cones.

Makaveli7haDon
05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
nope its depends what car, some stock speakers are pretty decent

azbass
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
my stock speakers sound great after tuning them with meh radio and TA, PEQ and all that jazz.

christiankills
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM
ive heard some pretty good stock speakers in a mustang... great bass response.

Ruffy
05-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Short Answer. If you put money into it. Yes.

If you go on the cheap? Maybe. On older stock systems almost any OEM stuff will sound better, Esp if the old ones are blown/damaged.

Most newer stock systems lack one thing, Bass, Fix that and it's usually quite good.

Now my car came with 11 speakers(1 set of components(4), 1 center channel, 2 rear door, 2 rear deck) And a 360watt amp with a internal crossover driving it all.

It does sound good in terms of mids and highs. It lacks midbass and bass. When I got the car the front two speakers were blown, as well as the center channel. replaced the two woofers with some coaxals and now it sounds like ***. Why? Because those speakers arent meant to be there. That spot takes 2ohm woofers. The coax's are 4ohm 3ways. They're being underdriven and only getting 1/4th the normal frequancy they're supposed to take. So in this case aftermarket *****. But only because it's not proper. Once I redo the entire system I'm **** well sure it's going to sound better than it's ever sounded.

Main reason to get away from stock systems in my eyes is paper cones everywhere.

lilmaniac2
05-28-2006, 11:11 PM
my 4 runner came with jbl stock so... idunno

SSS 18734
05-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Depends on the stock system. I've been quite impressed by the BOSE system that comes stock in Infinity's G-35. It doesn't even lack bass.

Makaveli7haDon
05-29-2006, 03:28 AM
i heard the the 2007 g35 will have stock 10's in the doors. im not kidding

T3mpest
05-29-2006, 04:04 AM
Stock speaker systems are tuned by engineers, I'd bet a decent number of "premium" sound systems sound better than most of the systems on here, they aren't nearly as loud, but they probably do have better SQ.

bri487
05-29-2006, 04:22 AM
the bostons in the dodges, dynaudios in the vw and i think audio and volvo, and jbl's in the mustangs sound good for stock.

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 02:50 AM
Well I have a 1991 Mercedes Benz, 190E. From my understanding, there is no specified speaker size, or quality put into this car.

They put it what was ever avaliable at the time. Thats what a stereo dude said anyways.

But, I think mine are only paper cones, so I guess ill upgrade. And Im pretty sure, anything now will sound better then whatever is in the car then.

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 03:10 AM
Stock speaker systems are tuned by engineers, I'd bet a decent number of "premium" sound systems sound better than most of the systems on here, they aren't nearly as loud, but they probably do have better SQ.

Thats what all factories go for. I mean look at some of the companies sticking in bose systems.

AcidicDreams
05-30-2006, 03:16 AM

yah, tuned by engine engineers... most stock systems I have heard are **** poor... there are only a handful that wouldn't require immediate removal...

my evidence that the "engineers" have no idea what they are doing...

:from window sticker:
eleventy billion speaker premium stereo....

it should say either 3 (coax + sub) 5 (2-way comps + sub) or 7 (3 way comps, + sub)....

I imagine I'd make an exception for vans or cars that come with DVD audio

AcidicDreams
05-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Thats what all factories go for. I mean look at some of the companies sticking in bose systems.

which have all been **** poor....

the companies sound systems are determined by marketing.... hence bose in your car... or infinity (Chyrsler did that) or JBL...

I've heard a couple mercedes systems that were ok...

andy1234
05-30-2006, 03:48 AM
the stock infinity in my moms dodge dakota is pretty good like a couple other people lacks bass but excelnt midbass

Prowler573
05-30-2006, 03:57 AM

the companies sound systems are determined by marketing.... hence bose in your car... or infinity (Chyrsler did that) or JBL...

I heard a Mark Levinson-certified system that was an installed option on the Lexus it was in and I'm here to tell you, folks, it sounded good. Period. I couldn't tell you how many speakers or of what sizes were in it but it sounded flat good.

You'd have had to spend some coin to upgrade from it.

AcidicDreams
05-30-2006, 04:02 AM
I heard a Mark Levinson-certified system that was an installed option on the Lexus it was in and I'm here to tell you, folks, it sounded good. Period. I couldn't tell you how many speakers or of what sizes were in it but it sounded flat good.

You'd have had to spend some coin to upgrade from it.

yah, there are specialty upgrades but the average "premium" system is still **** poor... I've heard ALOT of stock systems

req
05-30-2006, 04:05 AM
just a little fyi to all you "paper cone" people.

the reason they use paper cones is because paper cones sound the most musical versus metals and plastics.

there is absolutly nothing wrong with paper cones except the fact that they can not usually endure any kind of enviornmental changes such as heat and water very well - wich in a car is what can happen.

if you have an old *** car, chances are the speakers are rotted out because back then they didnt have paper or foam treatment processes.

might as well get a crappy component set if you arent serious and dont have money and call it a day.
http://www.millionbuy.com/paknex50c.html

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 04:13 AM

well my brothers civic si has a great stock [speaker] system in it. upgraded hu though.

and not in my benz, lol, im pretty sure it sounds like crap

i was just wondering if i could spend the least amount of money possible, and still have it sound immensily better.

and i still think i can, just because mine is such crap. i mean it hasnt been used for a few years, because of a none working hu.

so im SOL till i get a new hu.

but anyways...........

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 04:15 AM
just a little fyi to all you "paper cone" people.

the reason they use paper cones is because paper cones sound the most musical versus metals and plastics.

there is absolutly nothing wrong with paper cones except the fact that they can not usually endure any kind of enviornmental changes such as heat and water very well - wich in a car is what can happen.

if you have an old *** car, chances are the speakers are rotted out because back then they didnt have paper or foam treatment processes.

might as well get a crappy component set if you arent serious and dont have money and call it a day.
http://www.millionbuy.com/paknex50c.html

lol that would be perfect for me, :p:

iamamp3pimp
05-30-2006, 04:16 AM
I thought the stock system in my neon sounded nice, and it did for what it was. Until i replaced it wth Bahn bahn killed my stock setup, and then i replace that with RE.

yes, it is much better now than it ever was

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Hmm.. Did it cost you a pretty penny to upgrade?

And how bad of an upgrade, is bad, that it wouldnt make a difference, from a 15 year old set?

Because i dont know how long ill keep the car. so i was thinking instead of the origional 200 for all speakers idea, id go 100-125 for all the speakers.

but then again that would sound like **** loud

i suppose ill just dump cash into this. because i need to hear actual sound, when i have some subs. because im going all out on those, (because if i do sell the car, ill take the subs and amp). so i guess ill go big (within reason) for speakers too

Prowler573
05-30-2006, 04:23 AM
Hmm.. Did it cost you a pretty penny to upgrade?

And how bad of an upgrade, is bad, that it wouldnt make a difference, from a 15 year old set?

Because i dont know how long ill keep the car. so i was thinking instead of the origional 200 for all speakers idea, id go 100-125 for all the speakers.

but then again that would sound like **** loud

i suppose ill just dump cash into this. because i need to hear actual sound, when i have some subs. because im going all out on those, (because if i do sell the car, ill take the subs and amp). so i guess ill go big (within reason) for speakers too
*cough ~ cough* Ahem!

Just a hint? Even if you upgrade the head unit and all the interior speakers to seriously ****** gear with an uber-cool amp to go with them all THAT equipment can be transferred to the new car as well. ;) :fyi:

iamamp3pimp
05-30-2006, 04:25 AM
You can always remove any aftermarket speakers you put in the doors ya know, and replace them with the stock again, or some cheap cheap coaxials from walmart....ike the 30-35 dollar pioneers, or even the roasmaster just for something ya know?

Bahn cost me about 120 for fronts, and 6x9's, but i ditched the rear fil and got my RE comps at a great price during the Group buy a couple years back. I have had em for a couple years now and im lookig to upgrade there too, as they have been beat up pretty nicely.

iamamp3pimp
05-30-2006, 04:25 AM
*cough ~ cough* Ahem!

Just a hint? Even if you upgrade the head unit and all the interior speakers to seriously ****** gear with an uber-cool amp to go with them all THAT equipment can be transferred to the new car as well. ;) :fyi:

Great Minds Think Alike - I just type slower.

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 04:27 AM
*cough ~ cough* Ahem!

thats very true

but then it would be hard to sell with no sound!

but then again, if i kept the origional speakers....

but still i wouldnt have a working hu

maybe just go a bit cheaper on the hu, because i was thinking of a 200-250 dollar one. and i could easily do with a 160 one. just the display is better one the other, lol

hmmmm./......

AcidicDreams
05-30-2006, 04:32 AM
used HU - $150
4ch amp - $100
sub + speakers - $250
wiring and other random crap- $100

that is probably about the least you could get an amazing system for... I've done it for that much.... check "woman's car" in my sig... it came out to about $600 installed and sounds amazing...

you might be able to do a little better on price but that is a full system that could sound great...

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
used HU - $150
4ch amp - $100
sub + speakers - $250
wiring and other random crap- $100

that is probably about the least you could get an amazing system for... I've done it for that much.... check "woman's car" in my sig... it came out to about $600 installed and sounds amazing...

you might be able to do a little better on price but that is a full system that could sound great...

well right now, about it im thinking new hu 160
no amp
speakers (all) about 200
sub(s) 160 sub (like i said, maybe two)
110 amp (if two subs)

I dont know, im still planning. I have time before I actually do this.

so open to idea :)

NJAV1
05-30-2006, 07:53 AM
I never replaced the door speakers in the truck because honestly when I amped them..they sounded pretty decent. lol So I left them be...but now it's time to get serious so their coming out.

My wife has a 2001.5 Passat 4motion that came with the factory Bose system, while I seem to think it sounds ok overall....I would like to ask them where the midbass is at...it's all midrange and tweeters, obviously the deck doesn't allow for much 'tuning' so again I would like to know where along the lines they felt as though 'midbass' wasn't required. :D

ArrizX
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
But im going to replace these for sure.

TD89
05-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Not any setup will outperform the stock system. Some stock systems can actually sound pretty decent. My Jeep Grand Cherokee came with an Infinity gold system that actually sounds pretty good as long as the volume isn't too high. If you want to really do it right you almost have to get an amp to power any aftermarket speakers you buy.

SSS 18734
05-31-2006, 08:07 PM
If you are not going to amplify your new speakers, you might as well leave everything stock and just concentrate on bass. If you are using head unit power, just run your stock speakers. They are designed to get loud of little power, and replacing them with higher quality speakers more than likely will not benefit you at all.

ArrizX
06-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Well then I will definetly reconsider the amp for the front. Looks like im getting two amps now, LOL