PDA

View Full Version : JDAudiobox box cuts results....

joeldirt
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Well for those of you that know I have been developing an idea to provide MDF cut to specs for people with their own designs shipped to their front door... I have had two people use my services... And I would like to discuss how it all went.... I want to discuss my mistakes to show that I am an honest person and how I will learn from my errors.... The errors are not huge, and are really no big deal... Its all a learning process though....

1st I would like to explain that this is an experimentation process to see how well it will work... Mistakes at this stage are bound to happen... And in fact they did... But being as though I am honest and a business oriented person, I will not let that go to waste and burn any bridges.... Especially since the mistakes were minor...

First of all customer #1.

Eric Nguen....
Had some MDF with some Maple veneer on it... Asked him if he would mind if I gave him some of his cuts from it being as though it wouldn't affect it at all... It is only a very thin veneer glued onto the surface of it... I had a bunch of it and no raw MDF so I figured it would be a good substitute... We gave it a try... It doesn’t hinder the quality of the box what so ever accept the way it looks... Which I came to find out later that he doesn’t carpet his boxes! :eek: so it is not a clean bare MDF box... it is actually funny looking... I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

Also, I somehow managed to get a small spot of glue on one of the pieces... Have no idea how it got on there, but it did... so I will never ever send out a box without carefully inspecting the pieces individually as a quality assurance check..

The holes I cut out using my jasper circle jig were not perfectly smooth... They were, but they weren't... Any one who uses a circle jig with their router can attest to the fact that if you cut half way through all the way around, and flip it over to finish the hole cut out, there can be a tiny overlap of material that effects nothing, but is not "Perfect" as if it were done with a CNC machine (Which I am buying) This was not a problem, just he pointed it out to me....

And I also had some sketches on the pieces which he wasn’t impressed with... I didn’t bother to sand them off as I figured they would be covered with carpet... but again he doesn’t carpet his boxes.... so he didn’t like that... the sketches were from stuff at work that had nothing to do with nothing.... So I will never ever write anything on my pieces again... It will be bare clean raw MDF only! However I will stamp my name on each edge and face to verify that I have inspected it... The stamp is like any other normal stamp I have posted pics of it on the pieces I cut already....

Also I taped the pieces together so they wouldn’t slide around during shipping... apparently the tape sticks to the MDF... so I will never do that again either....

My 2nd trial was a mess of miscommunication...
With Pat Fitzpatrick.....

He wanted two boxes. one at 4.2 cubes, and the other at 7.... Two large boxes.... I had undersold my self on the price when i very first began this idea, and I thought that I had communicated to him the actual pricing that I had... I thought that I had made it clear that it would be $80.00 shipped for the 4.2 cube box which is accurate now. But he was under the impression that I was going to ship both for that price.... I messed up big with the original quote and now I have to eat it... I owe him a monster 7 cube box... He'll get it, I don't screw ppl.... But from now on I will not do a darn thing with out making darn sure that everything is perfectly crystal clear on it all....

Also apparently one of the pieces did get a little split on the corner during shipping.... I packaged it good, but I will be able to package it better.... like I said this is just the experimentation process... I have learned allot from this so far, and I think I have it down now pretty good....

As I said I wanted to post the progress of this idea in its testing stages, and I wanted to let you know that there were some mistakes but they are never going to happen again... I think I got it all under control. Once I get my shop situated, i will be able to do this much easier.... Also with my CNC router I will be able to deliver true perfection all around in about 10 minutes from start to finish....

Spkrman
05-25-2006, 11:10 PM
so much for no dealer posts - lol.

joeldirt
05-25-2006, 11:14 PM
lol...
I aint a dealer bro... I am just a dude experimenting with an idea... In this thread most people solicit business, they just do it in a way that doesnt break the rules.... I am not advertising actually I am just explaining how it went... So i don't think I am breaking any rules... In fact I am not making any offers at all... Just discussing a new business idea, and ideas on how to make it really realistic to do...

Mr. Opportunist
05-25-2006, 11:15 PM
this post was basically a big advertisement for your business nothing else :rolleyes:

joeldirt
05-25-2006, 11:18 PM
this post was basically a big advertisement for your business nothing else :rolleyes:

hmmmm. some people advertise in every thread they post in with their signature.... I didnt solicit any business at all... I had posted an idea a while back a few people were interrested to see if it could work.... I have been on this site for some time and offer allot of advice and help to allot of people... I have never solicited business on here... ever.... I just recently came up with this idea and wanted feed back from the members to see if they thought it was a realistic idea.... Then some people pm'd me off line and gave it a shot... others told me to post abck and tell how it went... and that is all that I am doing...

also check out the TCAB thread... BJ fish solicits.... whats the big deal? I am not hosting free advertising for my business... just having a discussion in an open forum about what I have been doing lately playing with an idea... I build boxes all the time... I haven't lately since I just moved out of the USMC from Hawaii to NOR CAL... But I have been building boxes for years. I have never advertised.... and I really don't think I am now... When it comes time for advertisement.... I'll simply put my web site in my signature.... thats it... word of mouth will do the rest.... as it has for me in the past... Just built a box for a ford F-150 extended cab for under the seat... turned out nice... two selaed kicker tens... sounds great.... looks great.... I didnt go blabbing about it with pictures in here trying to convince people I can build a box.... I can build a whole hell of alot more then a speaker box... I am a high end cabinet maker in a multy million dollar shop. I have plenty of business, and I am planning on taking my hobby into a profession doing audio enclosures... but I don't go advertising everywhere about it.... I just talk about ideas and see what people would think either good or bad... if bad I won't waste the time... but if good, then I'll give it a shot.... wanted to share to the people in here who were inteerested in how it went thats all.... obviously there were some wrinkles.... I plan on ironing out... Until I open the doors for business... I don't plan on advertising in here though... That is cheap... Not to mention it is about as useless as a set of falopian tubes on a dyke... I'll pay money to advertise propperly.... for now I am only seeking feedback, and giving feedback as to how the experimentation process is going.... thanks for the concern though...

Spkrman
05-25-2006, 11:20 PM
lol...
I aint a dealer bro... I am just a dude experimenting with an idea... In this thread most people solicit business, they just do it in a way that doesnt break the rules.... I am not advertising actually I am just explaining how it went... So i don't think I am breaking any rules... In fact I am not making any offers at all... Just discussing a new business idea, and ideas on how to make it really realistic to do...

You have quoted prices, something I would be hung if I did.

It doesn't bother me at all... for all I care spam every forum with a banner and a link.

But, forum rules dictate posts like this get deleted... the line was recently drawn very fine, and there was bannage for less than your doing here.

Then again, if there can be "I'm a box builder, buy from me" threads in the F/S forum, I guess this is "tame" in comparison :)

I just see alot of favoritism - but its ca.com, nothing unusual.

Spkrman
05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
hmmmm. some people advertise in every thread they post in with their signature.... I didnt solicit any business at all... I had posted an idea a while back a few people were interrested to see if it could work.... I have been on this site for some time and offer allot of advice and help to allot of people... I have never solicited business on here... ever.... I just recently came up with this idea and wanted feed back from the members to see if they thought it was a realistic idea.... Then some people pm'd me off line and gave it a shot... others told me to post abck and tell how it went... and that is all that I am doing...

watever my man... I'm sure this post will stay.

Good luck with it, hopefully you can keep prices reasonable and still make some $.

joeldirt
05-25-2006, 11:29 PM
You have quoted prices, something I would be hung if I did.

It doesn't bother me at all... for all I care spam every forum with a banner and a link.

But, forum rules dictate posts like this get deleted... the line was recently drawn very fine, and there was bannage for less than your doing here.

Then again, if there can be "I'm a box builder, buy from me" threads in the F/S forum, I guess this is "tame" in comparison :)

I just see alot of favoritism - but its ca.com, nothing unusual.

don't get me wrong I am not trying to argue... if this really is considered advertisement... then I'll knock it off. I didnt realize I was breaking any rules.. if I am then thats lame the rules are too tight.

Mr. Opportunist
05-25-2006, 11:32 PM
there is no way in hell i am reading all of that

James Bang
05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
rules... bend 'em break 'em.

advertisement blah blah.

all your talk trying point out that it's against the rules make it seem that way, but i'm sure he wasn't doing it on purpose. ****, i advertise, just in an unnoticable way. ;)

GL w/ the idea. I just wish you were closer to the south so I won't need my crappy table saw.

PV Audio
05-25-2006, 11:43 PM
You are a complete ****ing idiot. You don't advertise by saying that you made mistakes, he's just being honest which I have no problem wtih. If anyone on here should care, it should be me because I've been *****ed out more times than everyone else combined. Just be quiet and stop dumping.

Keep it up Joel, and get back at me with what you were thinkin.

hofulstrof
05-25-2006, 11:43 PM
we have yet to hear on how the boxes turned out,and if the cuts were accurate or not.

Mr. Opportunist
05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
You are a complete ****ing idiot. You don't advertise by saying that you made mistakes, he's just being honest which I have no problem wtih. If anyone on here should care, it should be me because I've been *****ed out more times than everyone else combined. Just be quiet and stop dumping.

Keep it up Joel, and get back at me with what you were thinkin.
your the complete ******* idiot, making a thread all about his new business is advertising /story

PV Audio
05-25-2006, 11:47 PM
:uhoh: Are you that dense? He's had like two threads discussing this service with people, I don't see him advertising ****. If he said that prices are....or the shipping prices for this size are..., then maybe. He's being OPEN about what went wrong, I don't see how telling people how an endeavor turned out is advertising. *******, if you can't contribute, just STFU.

PV Audio
05-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Excuse me Joel, I'm not in a good mood. I see gyzum man readin this, he can delete my posts.

Mr. Opportunist
05-25-2006, 11:51 PM
:uhoh: Are you that dense? He's had like two threads discussing this service with people, I don't see him advertising ****. If he said that prices are....or the shipping prices for this size are..., then maybe. He's being OPEN about what went wrong, I don't see how telling people how an endeavor turned out is advertising. *******, if you can't contribute, just STFU.
just the mentioning a business is tech. advertising for it, its telling people about his business and what he does are you that ignorant?

joeldirt
05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
your the complete ******* idiot, making a thread all about his new business is advertising /story

first, plz don't bust my balls about "rules" if you are going to break one your self for cussing in the threads"

second... no need to bash on each other... look bottom line difference in opinions... thats it... no one is really worng... it is only a matter of someone elses opinion... some think I am advertising... I thought I was just giving feed back on an earlier discussed topic.... If I were kicker trying to say I have this huge blow out sale on L7's, that would be one thing... I am just some dude in HUMBOLDT CA where the cronic is out of this world, and the redwoods are the heart of the land... Just some dude here in this forum who usually tries to give positive feedback and answers to questions... PV... I will for sure get with you on what we discussed when I am ready... For sure....

as far as feedback on the results from their perspective, as soon as they get on here to post, you'll find out.

However when the CNC router is bought and up and going... it is as simple as crunching in the dimensions on the software, loading a sheet of MDF on the bed and pressed click to cut... and bam.... flawless......

you can't advertise on that subject... I don't own it yet... so that technically is not advertising.... I jsut use the shop where I work for the time being to f*** arround.

joeldirt
05-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Excuse me Joel, I'm not in a good mood. I see gyzum man readin this, he can delete my posts.

lol... okay everyone... just calm down...

if someone were to PM me asking for me to build them a box... I then do it and send it to them... they post the pics of it installed on here and discuss teh results... we talk about how I am the bombest *** box builder on the face of this earth... it is just a discussion.... not advertisement....
my personal interpretation of advertising is:

""hey I build boxes here are my prices... pm me more more info""....

joeldirt
05-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Is talking about Humboldt’s buds, or stating that:

"Advertising in here is as useless as a set of fallopian tubes on a dyke any way."

Too shocking for people to reply to? Did I break more rules? Am I a douche bag for exercising new ideas and new ways for people to design, build, or buy their subwoofer enclosures?

prochobo
05-26-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm Eric, I bought from JDAudiobox, and I have to say, Joel is about the nicest, most straight forward guy ever. He's an honest, no BS person, literally. Take for example, what I send him in emails, he replies 10x as much, definetely takes his time with people. I'm pretty satisfied in the end!

Now for pics of some of the pieces. I only snapped a few shots because I was eager to put my box together :D. The finish is NICE, errrrr was nice (till I smacked it with ugly). Every piece was perfect and corners were great! My construction of this box, however, is not great :(. I should be shot for making the verneer look so ugly. I just wanted plain MDF, but Joel slapped some finish on there anyways. I didn't care, no harm done.

Packaging is like WOW. Triple boxed!

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts02.jpg

The corners and the tape fuzz he was talking about. It's not gonna happen anymore due to his new methods, but it didn't bother me much. The white spec is just some styrafoam I forgot to brush off.

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts03.jpg

Measurements, 31" long, right on the money

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts04.jpg

Measurements, 16" tall, right on the money, may not look like it because of the camera angle, but trust me, it was perfect.

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts05.jpg

Front baffle

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts06.jpg

The corners again on my double baffle front. Yes, it's a bit off, I messed up, I'm not a pro, I build for myself ;)

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts01.jpg

The finished box, not going to be covered, it's gonna stay naked :P

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/raerobox.jpg

joeldirt
05-26-2006, 01:33 AM

good pics eric... I wish I had a camera... I would be a neusance to this forum if I had a camera...

thanks for the feedback...

in your opinion... with some improvements... could this go beyond an experimental stage and move into an actual business and be able to compete? what could have been improved?

Thanks again. And it was a pleasure working with you... It is fun to see projects come together... I love it when a vision comes alive... Its why I love box construction... its all about creativity.

PV Audio
05-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Holy mother of FVCK that looks loud...:wow:

prochobo
05-26-2006, 09:50 AM

good pics eric... I wish I had a camera... I would be a neusance to this forum if I had a camera...

thanks for the feedback...

in your opinion... with some improvements... could this go beyond an experimental stage and move into an actual business and be able to compete? what could have been improved?

Thanks again. And it was a pleasure working with you... It is fun to see projects come together... I love it when a vision comes alive... Its why I love box construction... its all about creativity.

Yes, it could, but you would really need to find TONS of people to buy from you, unless this is just a side job and you do something much bigger. Or, like another member said before, supply other companies.

joeldirt
05-26-2006, 10:16 AM
well I'll give it time to get all fine tuned... Working out of this new shop of mine will be tight. With a heavy financial investment of a CNC router , I should go ahead and spend another $30,000 on shipping suplies, website, advertising, and take my machine to an IASCA event with a booth. That would help... I would really like to target the shops rather then individual... Being as though i can customize the stuff with the companies logo or business name...

I have a piece of stainless steel laminate I want to lay up over a piece of 1/4" plexi then engrave JDAudiobox into it on the CNC router at work... Back light it with blue LED's .... possibly even lay that up over a 1" MDF front baffle on a box... Black carpeted box with a brushed stainless steel face with JDAudiobox engraved into it glowing blue....... That'd be sick!

Any how... Glad it worked out well for you afterall...

prochobo
05-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks, it worked out very well and I'm VERY happy with this box. Here's some more pics

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts07.jpg

http://prochobo.com/Pictures/cuts08.jpg

joeldirt
05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
tight.

PowerNaudio
05-26-2006, 10:38 PM
those are most defenetly clean cuts. thats a great service youre providing joeldirt.
i hope you can tighten up all the rugh edges when it comes to the little issues you pointed out at the begining of the thread.
good luck with the rests of your adventure. lol.
laters

PV Audio
05-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey prochobo, you comin up to Indiana any time soon? That box looks motherfuking loud.

joeldirt
05-26-2006, 11:56 PM
those are most defenetly clean cuts. thats a great service youre providing joeldirt.
i hope you can tighten up all the rugh edges when it comes to the little issues you pointed out at the begining of the thread.
good luck with the rests of your adventure. lol.
laters

Thanks man.... the cuts are the easy part... I think the "rough edges" were all due to rushing through the idea of it all... I could have made it all tight if there were allot more time for planning and putting together resources needed involved... I basically got it all the hard way... which is okay... I need to have the whole vision of everything working in sync, but I tried to get out the basics, and should have planned a bit more... no biggie... It’s all good now. It ***** working by my self because the entire thing is riding on my shoulders from communicating w/ customers, to getting material, to buying more equipment, to purchasing a larger work space, to getting shipping materials, to every other hidden expense involved w/ doing this... I never did long distance business as I always had local word of mouth clientele... being new to this area I have to re-establish that constant flow of clientele... Which I surely will, like I did before... it just is a slow process.

saywhat?
05-27-2006, 12:04 AM

So remove TCAB from every thread you have ever mentioned it in.

James Bang
05-27-2006, 12:07 AM
so much for haters.

joeldirt
05-27-2006, 12:12 AM
Yes, it could, but you would really need to find TONS of people to buy from you, unless this is just a side job and you do something much bigger. Or, like another member said before, supply other companies.

As far as a side job for now is what this would most likely stay until I locked on some car stereo install shops with a few contracts... Probably would have to make them some to sell on consignment to prove to them my product will sell... Then once they come up with some ideas for me to build for them to make it "Their own line" of enclosures... This will take time... But that’s no big thing... I am not worried about competition, because for all of the effort that goes into doing what I will be doing... (Which involves doing chit far more custom then basic stuff you normally see) you would really have to be able to accommodate each individual customer... This is hard to achieve... And that will be another advantage I will have despite being tucked up in northern CA… Shipping will just be an added expense like every other product anyone buys on line… My main money maker will be the car audio shops… But I will accommodate each and every individual customer with their own design. Anyone that can provide what I will be able to provide will have to be as creative as I am with my designs... Be able to accommodate the needs of each individual customer (customer satisfaction and customer service will for sure be my main concern with this) and be able to deliver the same quality…. As I say.. Once I am up and going… I won’t be overly concerned with competition… I will force the competition to make a move as if in a one big chess game. I don’t want to take the queen and I surely won’t be able to put any entire market in check… but I will for sure be a force to recon with… I don't want any booty products or "production" prefab crap coming out of my doors... I want affordable CUSTOM products... with the word custom, comes a heavy price tag, normally... But I think the prices really do come from greed... My product won't be cheap, but it won't be out of reach for most people... I don't want penny pinchers... I want the general public to be able to come to me for their needs...

that was one bold statement... I can't wait until it's actually delivered.... All coming soon.

Also... as far as any haters go... please understand... I am a cool as mother fkr.. I don't bust many ballz... I try to be tactfull, and resolve issues with out bashing any one's' egos... once and a while I may get a little sarcastic.. but other then that... I am no new kid on the block... I may be jumping on the "dealing band waggon" but I will be able to back it up... I aint too worried about that... Haters will hate on me only for the fact that I may pose a threat to them... And for that.... I am sorry. but hey.... I gotsta do what I gotsta do.

prochobo
05-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey prochobo, you comin up to Indiana any time soon? That box looks motherfuking loud.

LOL, thanks for the comment. I might be heading to Evansville on June 25th for a show, but I don't know yet. That's 2 hours away and with the way gas prices are looking . . . :crying:

joeldirt
05-27-2006, 12:54 AM
LOL, thanks for the comment. I might be heading to Evansville on June 25th for a show, but I don't know yet. That's 2 hours away and with the way gas prices are looking . . . :crying:

Word... $3.52 is nutz....

Any one here listen to Immortal Technique?
Off topic I know... but I started this flippin thread so who cares.

PV Audio
05-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Rev 1 and Rev 2. Whens Rev 3 due to be out?

Ignatowski
05-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I see no problems with selling precut MDF on here.
This is just like a fellow member making a box for another member.

Personally I like this idea alot and wish him lots of luck.....

iamamp3pimp
05-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I see no problems with selling precut MDF on here.
This is just like a fellow member making a box for another member.

Personally I like this idea alot and wish him lots of luck.....

which if requested by a member, is fine.

but if i go around saying i build boxes for members, it will be taken away.....
From my sig, from my posts, or whatever

James Bang
05-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Word... $3.52 is nutz....

Any one here listen to Immortal Technique?
Off topic I know... but I started this flippin thread so who cares.
immortal technique - dance with the devil

tight track.

there's other but i forget. I don't like when he just brags but he has some style.
I prefer Atmosphere or Sage Francis or Living Legends.

joeldirt
05-27-2006, 09:38 PM
immortal technique - dance with the devil

tight track.

there's other but i forget. I don't like when he just brags but he has some style.
I prefer Atmosphere or Sage Francis or Living Legends.

he's got some sick beats though. So you comin to work for me when I move down to LA or what?

iamamp3pimp
05-27-2006, 09:55 PM
^^I like his aggression that he brings to the table

joeldirt
05-27-2006, 10:16 PM
^^I like his aggression that he brings to the table

I think that I like his music because he is passionate about his music... not typical lyrics about "grills" and "rollin on dubs" BS. his lyrics actually have content... I can't stand the stuff they play on the radio.

James Bang
05-27-2006, 10:21 PM
hit me up when you get down here. we'll see what we can do.

does immortal have anything new out?

PV Audio
05-27-2006, 10:39 PM
That's what I asked. I have revolutionary volumes one and two, but I've been waiting for three forever....

joeldirt
05-28-2006, 12:10 AM
That's what I asked. I have revolutionary volumes one and two, but I've been waiting for three forever....
INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION *** POINT OF NO RETURN *** BIN LADEN
They are in the bay coming soon I hear though...