PDA

View Full Version : This just in...my car is *****....

chris96camaro
05-24-2006, 06:31 PM
The other day my car started hesitating as i was accelerating through the gears...no specific RPM range, and it happens in every gear...

The SES light is on, so we had it scanned...and it threw a 102(MAF or VAF low circuit input)....

Then we realized that no exhaust was coming out of my pipes....so we have new cats put on my car, and that problem is fixed....So i get in to go home, and the SES light comes back on and it does the hesitation again before i get out of the parking lot....

We have replaced my PCV valve, we changed the EGR vavlve, and now the catalytic converter...and it has new plugs and wires....

Any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks...

springy101
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
a broken window roller upper thingy

THUNDERBIRD
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
willing to bet no. and it could be ur fuel filter, or injectors.

chris96camaro
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
willing to bet no. and it could be ur fuel filter, or injectors.

how would you check those?

Rattlebrain
05-24-2006, 07:26 PM
About the only way your going to check the fuel filter is to take it off and if your going to do that, might as well change it. Also check your air filter.

SUB_URBAN
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Lol My buddies Camaro has this same **** problem on the passenger side.

Safe-N-Sound215
05-24-2006, 07:35 PM
crank position sensor?

Chevillac
05-24-2006, 07:43 PM
O2 sensor? I know that used to make my older cars SES light come on. dont know about yours.

chris96camaro
05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
And i forgot to mention that it has cut off probably 5 or 6 times while i was driving down the road, but only when my foot is on the brake and the car is in neutral or the clutch is pushed in....and the battery terminals are not loose, i checked...

IrTehL33T@DBeez
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
The SES light is on, so we had it scanned...and it threw a 102(MAF or VAF low circuit input)....

is everyone else just ignoring this?

if its throwing a code, anyone think that maybe you should check out what its indicating..... like gee i dunno, the mass air flow sensor, which i believe on lt1's is the good old gm hot wire maf and low circuit input is probably indicating either a low reference voltage to the sensor, which acts as a thermistor so it kinda really needs a proper reference voltage otherwise output is useless... or, perhaps its more about input voltage to the ecm, same as output of the maf, which maybe be low due to malfunction or perhaps its just clogged.

check the maf screen visually for obstruction, check wiring and connectors for damage or looseness, then start reading wires and see if you can find excessive resistance in the circuit.

Blazin_Jason
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
As stated already, replace the fuel filter. My car was doing similar things before I changed it.

Silver
05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Clean the MAF.

The MAF regulates the rate of flow (air) into the engine, it sounds like for the most part it is giving incorrect readings, making your car run like poop.

Does your car have symptoms of feeling like hesitation or tranny slip almost? Does your RPMS jump all around at wide open throttle?

Do you run a K&N? If so when was the last time you re-oiled it? Oil may have gotten on the MAF, thus f*kin it up.

The MAF is located on the Intake. Its a ehh rectunglar type device with a wire harness plugged into it. On it there may be one or 2 sensors on in wrappen in very fine wire located inside the intake.

When you take the MAF out, BE CAREFUL. They are easy to break and can cost hundreds of $$'s to replace.

I use windex myself to clean it. Brake cleaner may be too strong for it so its not reccomended eventhough I've used it before. Use a q-tip and GENTLY in a rolling motion clean the sensor(s). I cannot stress enough to be careful, they WILL BREAK eaisly.

Windex is best reccomended though just for the fact, it leaves no residue behind.

Any problems removing the MAF, let me know.

I doubt that its your fuel filter. Everything your replaced is good in a way, but is not even close to the problem.

Silver
05-24-2006, 09:54 PM
is everyone else just ignoring this?

if its throwing a code, anyone think that maybe you should check out what its indicating..... like gee i dunno, the mass air flow sensor, which i believe on lt1's is the good old gm hot wire maf and low circuit input is probably indicating either a low reference voltage to the sensor, which acts as a thermistor so it kinda really needs a proper reference voltage otherwise output is useless... or, perhaps its more about input voltage to the ecm, same as output of the maf, which maybe be low due to malfunction or perhaps its just clogged.

check the maf screen visually for obstruction, check wiring and connectors for damage or looseness, then start reading wires and see if you can find excessive resistance in the circuit.

Also, do what this guy said. hehe.

chris96camaro
05-24-2006, 11:11 PM
I know what it all is...and we did take the MAF off and clean it...it didnt help...

and i do run k&n, but we cjecked it and its good...no oil...

ill try everything u said, and update later....

any other ideas?

LoudCrownVic
05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I know what it all is...and we did take the MAF off and clean it...it didnt help...

and i do run k&n, but we cjecked it and its good...no oil...

ill try everything u said, and update later....

any other ideas?

Probably a sensor or something is bad, usually unless it's a sensor a problem like that would begin gradually, you'd think.

chris96camaro
05-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Probably a sensor or something is bad, usually unless it's a sensor a problem like that would begin gradually, you'd think.

If it was a sensor shouldt have thrown a code for whatever sensor it is?

THUNDERBIRD
05-25-2006, 04:23 PM
personally from what u have done and havent seen any improvement and instead of wasteing money on trying to fix it and that fix not being right, i would take it in to the shop and have them look at it, or go to a camaro forum and ask would be a better idea, just to save time and money

chris96camaro
05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
personally from what u have done and havent seen any improvement and instead of wasteing money on trying to fix it and that fix not being right, i would take it in to the shop and have them look at it, or go to a camaro forum and ask would be a better idea, just to save time and money

just dropped it off...the guy is gonna look at it tomorrow

Silver
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
you should of checked the voltage going into the MAF and the ECM.

Blazin_Jason
06-01-2006, 12:23 AM
update?

Mr. Opportunist
06-01-2006, 12:26 AM
The other day my car started hesitating as i was accelerating through the gears...no specific RPM range, and it happens in every gear...

Then we realized that no exhaust was coming out of my pipes....so we have new cats put on my car, and that problem is fixed....So i get in to go home, and the SES light comes back on and it does the hesitation again before i get out of the parking lot....

We have replaced my PCV valve, we changed the EGR vavlve, and now the catalytic converter...and it has new plugs and wires....

Thanks...
it could be a bad coil, could also be a bad ground somewhere that is partially shorting the computer, i had the same problem...

noob with an RS
06-01-2006, 12:28 AM
i am a smog tech and if u came into our shop with that problem this is what we'd tell you: "get it diagnosed and repaired. thats it." or u can trial and error yourself and have a very good chance of wasting money (which i think youve already done since you said your replaced the EGR, cat, and PCV valve). i have no idea why you chose to replace the PCV valve, though,all that does is **** the blow-by flammable vapor into the intake to make sure you burn every last bit of fuel and vaporized fuel.. it's an emissions component it doesnt have anything to do with performance.. and you said your cat was clogged to the point where exhaust couldnt leave through it? so the rhodium and all the other elements in your cat broke and clogged up your exhaust? did u overheat in the past or something? u replace with a factory cat? just to let you know, factory OEM catalytic converters perform significantly better than aftermarket cats. you probably wont care though, if you dont have a smog program in your state. :)

noob with an RS
06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
if you dont get this problem fixed tomorrow let me know.. my dad has had 30+ years with all kinds of cars in the REPAIR field.. he knows all the common problems that cars have and ill ask him tomorrow at work what he thinks it m ight be.. i bet you hell have a good idea.

onefalsemove
06-10-2006, 02:19 AM
no kidding. My dad's been a mechanic for 42 years, he refuses to drive the new cars, he likes his old mopars :]

springy101
06-10-2006, 02:33 AM
no kidding. My dad's been a mechanic for 42 years, he refuses to drive the new cars, he likes his old mopars :]
Mostly
Old
Parts
And
Rust

ghey, some kid at my school made a t shirt that said that. isnt mopar the old dodges?

THUNDERBIRD
06-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Mostly
Old
Parts
And
Rust

ghey, some kid at my school made a t shirt that said that. isnt mopar the old dodges?
o ur smart young grasshopper. tecinically a mopar is anything with the mopar engine in it. so dodge,chrysler and plymoth

937DYTBOI
06-10-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks...

my suggestion would be the Oxygen sensor when they act up that seems to be the symptoms