PDA

View Full Version : pontiac vibe or scion xB???

regal8r
05-17-2006, 01:34 PM
im lookin to buy one of these 2 cars, what are ur guys's opinions on both of them. vibes have lil bit bigger motors and around the same fuel economy as the scion. vibe also has 115v AC outlet:naughty: . both have supercharger kits available, but scion has a lil more performance parts available through TRD. im a domestic guy (GM) so this also makes me lean towards the vibe more, but im still not sure. any opinions??

SWEET06CAMRY
05-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry if I offend anybody here but GM cars ****.....
they don't have any street value... once you are done paying for them, they ain't worth a crap and they always breakdown.
you never see any equity until you have two payments left...and the blue book value on those cars are a ****** joke....
In the other hand Scion it's made by toyota the most dependable car in this world.....and you can still sell it for a very good price once you are done paying it no matter how many miles it has....
I also think that scion would give you way better gas mileage than the pontiac...

snb778
05-17-2006, 03:17 PM
my friends old 92 mustang gets better gas mileage than both of my toyotas..take that for what you will.........

But Id still never buy domestic. but I dont think you can go wrong with scion as far as reliability goes. Pontiac just ***** the big one.

JimJ
05-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Honestly?

Neither.

They're both hideously ugly, and are both basically mutated minivans.

Ruffy
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I actually love the Vibe. Nice ride. Great handling. Good gas mileage(Not fantastic. but not crappy) Alot of cargo space

Now the Scion. Is that the boxy one? If so I hate that thing. A dealership tried to sell me several. The ride was OK. the interior ****** ***. The seat/wheel placement was odd to me. Yeah it was great on gas and had some storage but it was butt ugly and I plain hated it.

Toyota for reliability. Vibe overall I'd say. Gm does not completely ****. Their interiors could use work and their in a major bind right now. But the pontiac line is pretty **** good. (Both my parents work for GM)

Interior for both of those cars will mostly be hard dimpled plastic. The vibe generally has a nicer interior though. If you want speed, id go for the vibe/vibeGT.
If you're short go for the Scion. Maybe it would be more comfortable for you. But I'm 5'11 215lbs of mostly muscle and the Scion was a pain in the *** to get comfortable in.

I was heavily considering a vibe since i've driven them, loved them, wanted one for the longest. Didnt get it because I wanted more Luxury. Get the vibe or you could do what I did and buy a used Chrysler 300m :)

Randy Savage
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
The Scion is the slowest car I've ever driven. Even a Geo Metro has more giddyup then the xB.

Phrozt
05-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Honestly?

Neither.

They're both hideously ugly, and are both basically mutated minivans.

that and, one's a ricer, one's a GM.

Seriously.. would you like me to just package up my poop and send it to you for a bill of 18 grand??

bigbangtheory
05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
I wounldnt take either ones, but for overall out of those two if your deadset, then I would get the vibe. It has as much room and is a lot faster and gets decent mileage. To me they both are just fugly looking. But to each its own I say.

regal8r
05-17-2006, 09:30 PM
im not deadset on those 2, im just looking for something that would give me good mileage, has some potential for performance mods and wont cost me an arm and leg to insure and pay for

i was thinking about getting a new camaro when they get out but now im not sure...

Chevillac
05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
If you arent deadset, if you get a scion get the tc. Its just me but I think the xbs are ug.

PepsiFiend69
05-17-2006, 09:38 PM
mmmm xb

im buying mine this summer :D

Ignatowski
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Pontiac is junk......

bigbangtheory
05-17-2006, 09:47 PM
im not deadset on those 2, im just looking for something that would give me good mileage, has some potential for performance mods and wont cost me an arm and leg to insure and pay for

i was thinking about getting a new camaro when they get out but now im not sure...

Well not to push what I drive on you, but for what your looking at, my type of car would be a nice fit for ya, the 2006 Ford Focus St. The only thing is it isnt great on gas. But it goes very good and can mod the hell out of this 2.3 duratec eng. I have had a **** ton of cars and this is one of my favorites. Just a blast to drive. I think it lacks a little on looks, but I will work on that. You should check them out. Cheap on insurance as well. You can pick up one loaded for right around 18g's. Just a thought.

regal8r
05-17-2006, 10:09 PM
not real big on fords but i'll definitely check it out

MadAudio
05-17-2006, 10:11 PM
im lookin to buy one of these 2 cars, what are ur guys's opinions on both of them. vibes have lil bit bigger motors and around the same fuel economy as the scion. vibe also has 115v AC outlet:naughty: . both have supercharger kits available, but scion has a lil more performance parts available through TRD. im a domestic guy (GM) so this also makes me lean towards the vibe more, but im still not sure. any opinions??umm seems you didnt get the memo
the vibe IS a toyota

bigbangtheory
05-17-2006, 10:14 PM
umm seems you didnt get the memo
the vibe IS a toyota

No the vibe is pontaic and the Matrix(Which I think your thinking of) is the Toyota. :eyebrow:

MadAudio
05-17-2006, 10:16 PM
the matrix and the vibe are the SAME
The Pontiac Vibe GT is an unusual vehicle in many ways. Based on the comfortable but bland Toyota Corolla, it totally loses the Corolla's personality and ends up feeling more like a Celica. That's apt, since the Vibe GT uses the Celica's 180 horsepower engine (ordinary Vibes use 130 horsepower Corolla engines - detuned to 123 horses in four wheel drive models). It also has a four wheel drive option, unusual in such an inexpensive and small vehicle.

The Vibe is a so-called crossover vehicle, designed to attract younger buyers to Pontiac and Toyota (which sells it as the Matrix).
you can read some more here
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38219/
i have a friend that works for pontiac bought a vibe only to find out the truth talk about pissed
if your gonna get a hybrid atleast get a more powerful one
like the 2001+ nissan sentra vspec jap car put together by ford for nissan
175+hp and close to 30mpg :)

bigbangtheory
05-17-2006, 10:20 PM
the matrix and the vibe are the SAME
i have a friend that works for pontiac bought a vibe only to find out the truth talk about pissed

Well how about that. I really do learn something new everday.;)

MadAudio
05-17-2006, 10:23 PM
hehe its all good
fyi my nissan quest was also built by ford in ohio and is the exact same vehicle as the mercury villager

Rattlebrain
05-17-2006, 10:23 PM
XB
Wish I had one. I like 'em

faulkton
05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
id get the vibe

937DYTBOI
05-18-2006, 11:07 AM
scion will run and last longer with less problems

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
If you must pick between just those 2 then Vibe I guess.

The xB is just too **** toaster looking for me.

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 11:11 AM
scion will run and last longer with less problemsWhy do you say this?

Do you know who really makes the Vibe?

Answer: Toyota (look at a Matrix dingle douche)

Do you know who really makes the Scion?

Answer: Toyota (It is their affordable line)

So Toyota is better than Toyota. What a friggin paradox that is.

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry if I offend anybody here but GM cars ****.....
they don't have any street value... once you are done paying for them, they ain't worth a crap and they always breakdown.
you never see any equity until you have two payments left...and the blue book value on those cars are a ****** joke....
In the other hand Scion it's made by toyota the most dependable car in this world.....and you can still sell it for a very good price once you are done paying it no matter how many miles it has....
I also think that scion would give you way better gas mileage than the pontiac...
You are a moron. I hope that doesn't offend you.

GM has won more improvement awards and reliability awards from JD and Vision for the past 4 years than many Japanese and German companies.

The market is pretty level for all manufacturers currently thanks to cross-platform and production sharing. While you may be true in saying the value goes down quicker. Your statements on reliability is completely false when considering new autos. Their is barely a difference anymore in this category between Japanese and american autos.

Thanks for playing, now **** off.

937DYTBOI
05-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Why do you say this?

Oh yea i forgot that is true, jus the word pontiac drives me away, sorry about the mistake and that was a paradox

bigbangtheory
05-18-2006, 12:54 PM

GM has won more improvement awards and reliability awards from JD and Vision for the past 4 years than many Japanese and German companies.

The market is pretty level for all manufacturers currently thanks to cross-platform and production sharing. While you may be true in saying the value goes down quicker. Your statements on reliability is completely false when considering new autos. Their is barely a difference anymore in this category between Japanese and american autos.

Ouch! But in a sense is true. I would only by a import for the resale value. But I am still buying american so far. :cool:

faulkton
05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
i just bought an American car a week ago..and am happy with it. A ford focus.. not an ST like bigbang.. but a zx3 ses...for the money i wanted to spend i couldnt have gotten a nicer car...

Now if i was looking at spending 22 or 23 i probably would have bought an import.. but **** for $12-15G i think the focus is pretty hard to beat as far as features, options and overall comfort.. They have 3G cash back on them if you finance with ford, or 2500 is you dont.. makes the higher trim level fords with good options much cheaper than a comparably equipped import.

Plus they all (2005 +) have the Mazda MZR engines (duratec) in them...and have longer ( and transferable) power train warranty..

Might not be worth as much when i trade it in.. but i didn't pay as much for it to start with.. and it will be more comfortable to drive while i own it.

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Plus they all (2005 +) have the Mazda MZR engines (duratec) in them...and have longer ( and transferable) power train warranty..

This is what I mean. They are becoming one and the same.

It's like during the 90's too much interacial ******* was going on with automakers that they all become one race of cars :crazy:

Astyl
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
If you want ANY kind of performance, then the xB is not the way to go.. it also has HORRIBLE Styling! :crap:

Basically, go for the pontiac Vibe, because the scion xB couldent drive out of sight if you gave it a month, and would be lapped by your parents minivans... 20 second cars FTW

NhustlaR
05-18-2006, 02:43 PM
eh, drop some real cash and get a 350z.

other than that, I would go with the scion just because i like the looks of it.

other than that, I wouldnt get any of them.

I guess you need to tell us more about what you are looking for in a car/truck/suv/whatever

Prowler573
05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Why do you say this?

That is the exact sentiment that crossed my mind when I read 93DYTBOI's post.

Actually, as I was opening this thread I was thinking "Okay - we've come down to a choice between a Toyota product or a Toyota product...regardless of what actual badging the vehicle is wearing. Kind of a no-brainer there!"

I'd go the Vibe as I am firmly entrenched in the 'xB is unforgiveably ugly' camp. The only Scion I would buy, personally, is the tC.

SWEET06CAMRY
05-18-2006, 03:02 PM

You are an idiot and i hope i do offend you.:cool:
How can you compare a piece of **** GM with a toyota ???
I had a 97 camaro this piece of **** would always breakdown and the check engine light was always on, after i had a 98 cadillac deville and that piece of **** would always overheat, had to replace radiator, head gaskets, water pump and it would still overheat, later I changed the whole engine and somehow it would still overheat...I've also had an oldsmobile, cavalier and a couple other GM lemons...
and all those cars mentioned above only had about 120,000 miles in them.
Until I bought me a 92 camry with 200,000 miles in it and I used to beat that thing and NEVER EVER BROKE DOWN....
I sold it for the same price i got it for two years later with 256,000 miles in it...
That's why I'LL NEVER DO THE SAME MISTAKE AND BUY ANOTHER GM....
By the way.. I don't give a rats *** how many awards has GM won in the last four years..... cause i'll never buy one....

Prowler573
05-18-2006, 03:11 PM

Regardless of your past experiences with other GM products the reason he can compare a "POS GM product with a Toyota" is due to the fact in this particular case the GM product in question is a Toyota rebadged as a Pontiac.

It's a very similar situation to that of the car I drive ~ my '95 Geo Prizm. It has a Chevy bowtie contained within the Geo 'world' emblem and they were sold through Chevy dealers when they were still being made (case in point in the '98 model year GM dropped the Geo nameplate altogether and simply called them Chevrolets though none of them were built by GM at all)

Pop the hood what will you find? A Toyota 4-cyl engine. 4A-FE if the 1.6L or a 7A-GE (I think is the engine code) if the 1.8L.

"Compare" a GM to a Toyota? In this particular case the GM IS a Toyota.
Idiot. Hope YOUR feelings are hurt. Pfft....

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 03:11 PM
I had a 97 camaro this piece of **** would always breakdown and the check engine light was always on, after i had a 98 cadillac deville and that piece of **** would always overheat, had to replace radiator, head gaskets, water pump and it would still overheat, later I changed the whole engine and somehow it would still overheat...I've also had an oldsmobile, cavalier and a couple other GM lemons...
and all those cars mentioned above only had about 120,000 miles in them.
Until I bought me a 92 camry with 200,000 miles in it and I used to beat that thing and NEVER EVER BROKE DOWN....
I sold it for the same price i got it for two years later with 256,000 miles in it...
That's why I'LL NEVER DO THE SAME MISTAKE AND BUY ANOTHER GM....
By the way.. I don't give a rats *** how many awards has GM won in the last four years..... cause i'll never buy one....
Read much? I said that GM has won awards for reliability and improvement for the last 4 years. Lets see does a 97 fbody made in canada fit this statement I made? NO! Does a 98 cadillac make my statement false? NO!

Facts are facts and JD and Vision have found GM products to be very reliable with Cadillac being top honors among them all. Of course as I explained this sudden improvement has to do with all the cross-platform and production sharing going on between Japan and US automakers. I never said GM never had it's problems. However living in the past and not recognizing a companies new found merits and willingness to improve is idiotic. It's not like the Japanese companies didn't have their issues in the past. Every company in the world has had ups and downs. None are perfect. My only point I made which you still have yet to discredit or even understand is that current models of both Japanese and American autos have near the same reliability and amount of problems reported per 100 vehicles, because they are the same! Go back in your corner, put the hat on and STFU.

SWEET06CAMRY
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Read much? I said that GM has won awards for reliability and improvement for the last 4 years. Lets see does a 97 fbody made in canada fit this statement I made? NO! Does a 98 cadillac make my statement false? NO!

Facts are facts and JD and Vision have found GM products to be very reliable with Cadillac being top honors among them all. Of course as I explained this sudden improvement has to do with all the cross-platform and production sharing going on between Japan and US automakers. I never said GM never had it's problems. However living in the past and not recognizing a companies new found merits and willingness to improve is idiotic. It's not like the Japanese companies didn't have their issues in the past. Every company in the world has had ups and downs. None are perfect. My only point I made which you still have yet to discredit or even understand is that current models of both Japanese and American autos have near the same reliability and amount of problems reported per 100 vehicles, because they are the same! Go back in your corner, put the hat on and STFU.
I'guess is your preference....you go ahead and stick to your GM's that have no street value and i'll stick to my imports and don't lose as much money..:cool:

SWEET06CAMRY
05-18-2006, 03:21 PM

I guess is your preference....you go ahead and stick to your GM's that have no street value and i'll stick to my imports and don't lose as much money..:cool:

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I'guess is your preference....you go ahead and stick to your GM's that have no street value and i'll stick to my imports and don't lose as much money..:cool:
You also paid more. You see, I am not blindly loyal. I love many import models, but I get GMs for a substantial discount. So when it comes down to it I don't lose anymore than someone buying a toyota. This apsect of it is also washing away as more and more people realise that these cars out there are the same.

This was never about mine or anyone elses "preference". It was to discredit the notion that Japanese vehicles are just automatically and inherently more reliable by nature. This just simply isn't the case anymore. All your "personal" experiences don't dictate what the major publications that study such things have found out.

desertheat
05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I understand what the original poster is looking for. He wants a car with room such as a 4 door hatchback, seems to want good gas milage as both cars have it all in a pricetag that is cheap enough he can afford the mods.

My personal opinion is the xb is ugly as sin but I have seen some nicely modded ones dropped on nice wheels and they actually looked pretty cool. The xb is as aero dynamic as a flying trash can so gas milage will suffer if your on the freeway allot or speeds above 65mph.

The vibe is nice and 100% toyota. I personally would go with the vibe or a matrix.

You also have another choice. The Scion XA. Basically it is identicle to the xb except in interior and aerodynamics. Engine, tranny, suspension, brakes are all the same. And in a manual tranny they are a good point a-b car. There was just recently a guy with a blitz supercharged XA running bottom 14's in the quarter. That is pretty darn quick for a cheap car.

Last I have to second the scion tc. Does not sound directly like what you are looking for, but it is one heck of a car for the coin. I know, I own a hella modified one.

IamDeMan
05-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I understand what the original poster is looking for. He wants a car with room such as a 4 door hatchback, seems to want good gas milage as both cars have it all in a pricetag that is cheap enough he can afford the mods.

My personal opinion is the xb is ugly as sin but I have seen some nicely modded ones dropped on nice wheels and they actually looked pretty cool. The xb is as aero dynamic as a flying trash can so gas milage will suffer if your on the freeway allot or speeds above 65mph.

The vibe is nice and 100% toyota. I personally would go with the vibe or a matrix.

You also have another choice. The Scion XA. Basically it is identicle to the xb except in interior and aerodynamics. Engine, tranny, suspension, brakes are all the same. And in a manual tranny they are a good point a-b car. There was just recently a guy with a blitz supercharged XA running 14's in the quarter. That is pretty darn quick for a cheap car.

Last I have to second the scion tc. Does not sound directly like what you are looking for, but it is one heck of a car for the coin. I know, I own a hella modified one.
With that criterai then I would pick one of the following myself.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_descriptions.asp?ModelName=Fit&Category=Fit

or

http://www.dodge.com/en/caliber/index.html

regal8r
05-20-2006, 07:49 PM
just seen the new dodge caliber..what do guys think of those??

req
05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
im lookin to buy one of these 2 cars, what are ur guys's opinions on both of them. vibes have lil bit bigger motors and around the same fuel economy as the scion. vibe also has 115v AC outlet:naughty: . both have supercharger kits available, but scion has a lil more performance parts available through TRD. im a domestic guy (GM) so this also makes me lean towards the vibe more, but im still not sure. any opinions??

just to FYI you, toyotas are built in america. so they are just as domestic as GM is. gm gets all their parts where? yup! you guessed it! overseas! woo!

the scion is EXTREMLY roomy inside - i was quite surprised. im 6"2' and i had legroom lol. the dash is nicely laid out - its easy to install a headunit. they are kinda ugly, but whatever.

the vibe to me is just ugly. i hate pontiac and all their GM bullshit that they put in to make you go to the dealer for parts\repairs. good luck bypassing ONSTAR if it comes with it.

honestly? id look at the MAZDA3 or the VW Golf. eaither one IMO - is a better choice than the vibe or the scion. more sporty (imo) and just as many aftermarket parts. just imo - sexier looking lol :p:

SAG3
05-20-2006, 08:03 PM
dont even look at that refridgerator.

regal8r
05-21-2006, 04:44 AM
just to FYI you, toyotas are built in america. so they are just as domestic as GM is. gm gets all their parts where? yup! you guessed it! overseas! woo!

the scion is EXTREMLY roomy inside - i was quite surprised. im 6"2' and i had legroom lol. the dash is nicely laid out - its easy to install a headunit. they are kinda ugly, but whatever.

the vibe to me is just ugly. i hate pontiac and all their GM bullshit that they put in to make you go to the dealer for parts\repairs. good luck bypassing ONSTAR if it comes with it.

honestly? id look at the MAZDA3 or the VW Golf. eaither one IMO - is a better choice than the vibe or the scion. more sporty (imo) and just as many aftermarket parts. just imo - sexier looking lol :p:
im actually starting to like v dubs...their manual transmissions are VERY easy to drive IMO...

Cbtmedic
05-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't know much about the Vibe, but I have owned a Scion XA which has the same engine as the XB and it was a fun little car to drive. Handled pretty well, but deffinetely glad i had a manual, acceleration not the greatest. Now I have the TC cause I traded up and its a hell of a much better car.

IamDeMan
05-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Personally, I really like the looks of the Vibe better with certain colour schemes (i.e. Black with a silver grille) ... However, even though they're the exact same vehicle, you know the Toyota is going to have much better resale value, simply because of the badge on it and its perceived worth (Toyota is perceived as better than Pontiac, therefore is worth more). There are two reasons why this is important; first, when/if you sell the car, you'll get a lot more for the Toyota (probably more than the difference in cost between the two) and second, if you get in a bad accident and the car is written off, you'll get a lot more because the blue book value will be higher.
I guarantee the resale value won't be worth as much as the difference in cost for me ;)

IamDeMan
05-22-2006, 02:57 PM
GM Employee ?
Father is :) Otherwise you could be correct, but even then it's not a landslide difference between resale and cost differences.