PDA

View Full Version : Cons on a Toyota Corolla

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I need help convincing my parents that a Toyota Corolla is not a good purchase. And really, I have nothing against Corolla's... My main problem is this:

I am buying the car out of my own money (a loan) and my parents are co-signing on the loan so they feel they deserve some say in what vehicle I pick. I got a loan high enough that I can afford a 2002 Maxima SE 6 speed that I want... but my mom, who knows nothing about cars says she wants the Corolla and that Maxima's aren't good and a bunch of junk. A co-worker at her work really convinced her that Corolla's are better than the top of the line Mercedes lol.

So give me some cons on the car that I can feed to my parents... I don't want to get a Corolla when I know I can get a Maxima for about $2000 more.

Comparing the 2 vehicles:

2002 Maxima SE 6 speed (96,000 km's)
Fully loaded
being bought from used car dealership with very cheap/limited warranty

vs

2002 Toyota Corolla 5 speed (55,000 Km's)
ripped up cloth interior
being bought from a co-worker of my mom's with no warranty

Please help me. I really need to find cons on Corollas... Things my mom would hate, safety problems and things along that line... re-sell values... reliability (I do expect the Corolla to be a longer lasting car tho... but who knows?)

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 03:46 PM
oh, and Pros for the Maxima would help me out too lol... but don't just say it's a better car because it's faster and a lot more fun to drive lol, I already tried that.

One thing I noticed about the Corolla that my mom likes is that it does not shift nearly as smooth... but I don't know... help me guys

SHOtime
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
You're gonna lose. Insurance premiums FTL. But perhaps you should try and find something you both like that is between the Corolla, which is a lame econobox, and the Maxima, which is more upscale and sporty. Perhaps some more research is in order. She's sold on the Corolla because it is from someone she knows, it's cheap to insure for you, gas won't cost as much, and it costs less. For parents, that's a done deal. So find something better. www.autotrader.com ftw.

937DYTBOI
05-16-2006, 03:56 PM
they start to burn oil after u put some miles on them, im talking about 1000 miles on a oil change and u will be low on oil. Besides that they run like a champ, jus a little jittery due to the 4 banger

fakename
05-16-2006, 03:58 PM
they are ugly.

rick22
05-16-2006, 04:14 PM
all in all the corolla is the better car and besides being slower than the maxima you have no argument. also i would have to agree that i see corollas doing better than the pos benzs out there the benz is just an over priced car that has a following. but sense you say that your mom knows nothing about cars make up a bunch of stuff and also make her realize that its your car not hers and that you are the one that will have to deal with it and not her. if you have good argumentative skillls it should be easy.

937DYTBOI
05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
all in all the corolla is the better car and besides being slower than the maxima you have no argument. also i would have to agree that i see corollas doing better than the pos benzs out there the benz is just an over priced car that has a following. but sense you say that your mom knows nothing about cars make up a bunch of stuff and also make her realize that its your car not hers and that you are the one that will have to deal with it and not her. if you have good argumentative skillls it should be easy.

Whats the major problems with the benz

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
you're 18...

do not buy a 2002 model anything...

insurance will be stupidly high...

not to mention, in 5 years, the car will be worth half what you paid for it...

get a nice, mid 90's vehicle.... preferably a toyota... :p:
well I am 19... just realized in m ca.com profile it says 18... but yea...

My parents will not buy ANYTHING in the 90's... Trust me, I picked out some real nice '97, '98 and '99 cars and my parents will not even let me look at them... because my last car was a '96 Ford and broke down daily... oh and it was also a car my mom picked out because a co-worker of hers was selling it. :crying:

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:27 PM
also i would have to agree that i see corollas doing better than the pos benzs
I agree Toyota's are nice... but my mom would seriously turn down a new Mercedes S600 for a broke down '92 Corolla if she had to make the choice. And I am not exagerating at all... she seriously thinks Corollas are the BEST car ever made. And I really have no problems with them, they are great on gas, cheap, and long lasting... that's why I need help bashing them...

937DYTBOI
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
whats ur spending limit

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
yeha, well, it was a ford, what do you expect? :p

get a nice toyota, and do the right thing!!!

if they have already signed for the loan or whatever, and the loan is already approved, what can they do about it? lol
I told them it was gonna be a Fix Or Repair Daily, but they do not listen to me at all.... even when it comes to spending my money.

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:29 PM
whats ur spending limit
about $16,000 USD... I can get the Maxima for about 14,000

rick22
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
mechanically they are not worth what you would spend for them. they just dont last. mainly what you pay for is the name and because there is such a big following they get away with it.

bigbangtheory
05-16-2006, 04:39 PM
What is wrong with Ford models. The newer model Focus' are very nice. I would suggest that in a heartbeat. I love my little st focus. Drives great, plus is cheap on insurance and this sucker goes. I would look into that. I might be bias, but I have had quite a few rides in my day. Also I think the Maxima's are pretty pimp and run very good, but to be honest the corolla is a very good running car as well. I say you couldnt lose any any of the above mentioned besides a little more money for the Maxima. Good luck!

Prowler573
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I understand that you're looking for arguments against the Corolla but the ones that exist are limited at best and non-existent at worse. Toyota has sold more Corollas worldwide than every other kind of car (including other Toyota products) combined.
You simply do not move that many units by building junk - period.
The insurance on the Maxima will be higher.
The fuel consumption on the Maxima will be more.
The price for getting the Maxima worked on, should that become a necessity, will be higher.
The Maxima has almost twice the amount of kilometers on it for the same year model.

The only real upside to the Maxima as opposed to the Corolla is size...there is more room in the Nissan....and the 'fun-to-drive' factor which is an incredibly important aspect to a 19-yr-old and one that parents simply do not take into account (as they have matured sufficiently to understand that it isn't nearly so important as their 19 yr old progeny would have them believe).

Truly I understand why you would want the Maxima instead of the Corolla. Really I do. The bottom line, however, is the Corolla is a better idea in the long run.

937DYTBOI
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
yea i would get a toyota they are in my opinion the most reliable cars out right now, so that goes for the scion and lexus also. Get a camry instead of the corolla

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
What is wrong with Ford models. The newer model Focus' are very nice. I would suggest that in a heartbeat. I love my little st focus. Drives great, plus is cheap on insurance and this sucker goes. I would look into that. I might be bias, but I have had quite a few rides in my day. Also I think the Maxima's are pretty pimp and run very good, but to be honest the corolla is a very good running car as well. I say you couldnt lose any any of the above mentioned besides a little more money for the Maxima. Good luck!
I think Ford is starting to fix up it's reputation, but I would never touch a 90's model Ford again... My last car (a Ford) broke down daily. My buddy got a '03 (around that year anyways) Focus and it runs pretty good... and he doesn't even take care of it and drives pretty hard on it.

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
yea i would get a toyota they are in my opinion the most reliable cars out right now, so that goes for the scion and lexus also. Get a camry instead of the corolla
I'm working on that. Just haven't found one in my price range yet, but I'm trying.

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
I understand that you're looking for arguments against the Corolla but the ones that exist are limited at best and non-existent at worse. Toyota has sold more Corollas worldwide than every other kind of car (including other Toyota products) combined.
You simply do not move that many units by building junk - period.
The insurance on the Maxima will be higher.
The fuel consumption on the Maxima will be more.
The price for getting the Maxima worked on, should that become a necessity, will be higher.
The Maxima has almost twice the amount of kilometers on it for the same year model.

The only real upside to the Maxima as opposed to the Corolla is size...there is more room in the Nissan....and the 'fun-to-drive' factor which is an incredibly important aspect to a 19-yr-old and one that parents simply do not take into account (as they have matured sufficiently to understand that it isn't nearly so important as their 19 yr old progeny would have them believe).

Truly I understand why you would want the Maxima instead of the Corolla. Really I do. The bottom line, however, is the Corolla is a better idea in the long run.
I really agree lol.. I know the Corollas will probably last longer... but no matter what vehicle I get out of the two, I will have it paid off in 2 years. That is why I do not understand the need to get a vehicle that will last 10+ years like a Corolla. If the Max only lasted 2 years and crapped out on me, I would be in the same position as I am this year and be able to take out another loan.

But I agree, the Corolla would be a good choice, just not my top choice. And I have nothing against it, lol, that's why I am posting here.

Prowler573
05-16-2006, 05:02 PM
There isn't a lot of people wanting a right-hand-drive vehicle in N. America outside of rural mail carriers, though, Death....

dleccord
05-16-2006, 05:04 PM
do a custom frame and then drop a hemi in that thing:)

snb778
05-16-2006, 05:09 PM

hahahahhahaha... you tell me http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2459/dcp07962rj.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp07962rj.jpg)

BUT.......!!! for the record...I am on my second toyota now...I had a 1998 toyota avalon...got about 15-18 MPG....I now have a 4 cyl. Rav4...which gets no better gas mileage...now 2 toyotas I have had that cant get 20 mpg!!!! My friend has a new civic....he gets at least 30 mpg....we have the same gas tank...I get 270 out of a tank...he gets consistently 400-450!!!

kotec123
05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
i helped my buddy find a 01 Audi A6 Twin Turbo.....6 speed manual.....fully loaded, tinted windows....and other **** for 12,500.....uve gotta look around and be patient .....www.cars.com is the place to start ur search....if u lived nearby id help u cuz im awsome at this ****, but thats obviously not an option......just get the maxima if anything

Prowler573
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
i helped my buddy find a 01 Audi A6 Twin Turbo.....6 speed manual.....
Can you imagine the insurance premium for a car like that being driven by someone who is 19??? :omg:

HotCarl
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
they are a toyota corolla.

snb778
05-16-2006, 05:31 PM
i helped my buddy find a 01 Audi A6 Twin Turbo.....6 speed manual.....fully loaded, tinted windows....and other **** for 12,500.....uve gotta look around and be patient .....www.cars.com is the place to start ur search....if u lived nearby id help u cuz im awsome at this ****, but thats obviously not an option......just get the maxima if anything

I dunno who would add a turbo to an audi just cause its not a car that people do that to...but unless it was aftermarket TwinTurb, im callin BS to you.

goose5741
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I've known a couple of people with A4 that had turbos.....but those were added after the fact. A4s are really nice cars too but teh aren't very reliable compared to toyotas...but still **** nice cars and in the same price range.

PV Sound
05-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I dunno who would add a turbo to an audi just cause its not a car that people do that to...but unless it was aftermarket TwinTurb, im callin BS to you.
My dad has the same car ;). It's the old S4 block.

DIPayton
05-16-2006, 07:39 PM
I did a great ammount of research and looking for crs in the past 3 weeks. It's really strange, 3 weeks ago, I told my parents I want and need a new car and they thought I was being greedy because there were no problems with my current car, well 2 weeks later, my car takes a **** on me and can't be driven anymore and because of that, I can't sell it for much at all. So they basicly cost me money there.

Now, they are telling me that I have to pick out a new car by the end of this week. They are trying to rush me now because I've been tying up their car with going to work and so on... Really *****, If my parents would have listened to me, I would have saved myself around $2,000.... and isn't it funny that the Maxima is $2,000 more than the Corolla.

954runner
05-16-2006, 09:10 PM
subaru impreza FTW! you can find 2000ish ones on autotrader for under your $16,000 spending limit

kotec123
05-16-2006, 09:10 PM

hahahh ....howabout u look up an 01 a6 2.7 and find out for ur dumb *** that they come with twin turbo.....

btmorris972
05-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Ive got a 2000 camry with 248,000 miles. Still runs like a champ. Toyota ftw!

elementxero
05-16-2006, 10:21 PM
If I were you I'd buy the corolla frankly. You have enough expenses in the coming years whether or not you are going to college. Might as well get a cheap, easy to insure vehicle with low mileage.

That's one less thing to worry about.

Plus you can put a stereo in whatever you want and it becomes a good car :)

-The guy who has a '91 Volvo 240 and is perfectly happy with it (with a system :D)

bigbangtheory
05-17-2006, 02:14 AM
I think Ford is starting to fix up it's reputation, but I would never touch a 90's model Ford again... My last car (a Ford) broke down daily. My buddy got a '03 (around that year anyways) Focus and it runs pretty good... and he doesn't even take care of it and drives pretty hard on it.

Yeah they are. They have totally revamped there line up for the better and can only see things on the upside. I really wouldnt mind getting into a 06 cobra mustang, but yeah, lol! Also those Fusions are slick as well. The trucks to me are the sharpest on the road, however the Nissan Titan is pretty pimp. I think I will stay ford for a while. :) Sorry to hear you have bad luck with your ford. I had an older Mustang, 94 Gt for 2 years and ran like a champ and a supercharged V8 4.6 1994 Thunderbird for 1 year. Loved that bish, but gas! OMG the gas in that car.:crazy:

Man I have had wayyyyyyyyyyyy to many vechichles in my young life. I can count around 20 and I am only 29, lol~!

chadillac3
05-17-2006, 08:03 AM
about $16,000 USD... I can get the Maxima for about 14,000

So, wait, your mom is going to pay $12k for a freakin 02 Corolla 5 spd w/ a not perfect interior with 55k miles? You gotta be shitting me. That's a terrible, terrible, terrible, deal.

DIPayton
05-17-2006, 08:39 AM
So, wait, your mom is going to pay $12k for a freakin 02 Corolla 5 spd w/ a not perfect interior with 55k miles? You gotta be shitting me. That's a terrible, terrible, terrible, deal.
exactly. I saw Corollas going half that price on autotrader. The only nice thing about the car is that it's km's on it, not miles so it's pretty low milage. It hasn't been driven too much at all, and it's 5 speed, I've been having a hard time finding them. But yea.... My mom thinks $12,000 for a Corolla is a good deal. And the sad thing is, it's not her paying a dime for the car, I'm paying it lol. She just co-signed on the loan for me, and both of my parents said if I buy something rthey don't like then I'm kicked out of the house and can't park the car anywheres near their house lol.

My dad is a little more understanding. he's reasoning with me and my mom to find a car in between that we could both settle with.

DIPayton
05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
If I were you I'd buy the corolla frankly. You have enough expenses in the coming years whether or not you are going to college. Might as well get a cheap, easy to insure vehicle with low mileage.

That's one less thing to worry about.

Plus you can put a stereo in whatever you want and it becomes a good car :)

-The guy who has a '91 Volvo 240 and is perfectly happy with it (with a system :D)
My reasoning for spending the extra $2,000 on the Maxima would mainly be that I have my school covered. Completly covered, I could stay in college 8 more years and it would all still be covered, so that's not an expense. I also have a part time job that gives me full-time hours when I am not in school and I have had this job about 3 years now so I have a secure job. But those reasons mean nothing to my parents, I really need to dig up dirt on a Corolla or else I'll be feeding my mom some BS.

justsayk
05-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I've been rocking a '92 camry for about 3 years now, and just hit 78k miles on it. Still runs great, and I can get over 450 miles on a tank on the highway. only paid $5,500 for it too.

MikeofTulsa
05-18-2006, 12:23 AM
saturn ion they are in your price range

electronicsgeek
05-18-2006, 12:30 AM

SATX210
05-18-2006, 12:31 AM
why dont you get a loan without your parents as a cosigner and buy whatever you want with your loan. if they are cosigners they have as much of a right to pick the car as you do.

electronicsgeek
05-18-2006, 12:39 AM
get a 6-speed corolla XRS 170hp. espeically rite now i would suggest getting any type of corolla with the gas prices being what they are. plus corolla's last forever.

SHOtime
05-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Perhaps a new Scion xB would be in order? Great MPG and plenty of room for a system and all your friends... and all your stuff when you move out of your parents house.

Ignatowski
05-18-2006, 06:28 AM
a friend of mine has 240K miles on his corolla.....
its a durable car

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 09:28 AM
a friend of mine has 240K miles on his corolla.....
its a durable car
I know but I really need to find some bad points on this car... I have to test drive the Corolla again tonight, I am really gonna lay the BS out that it was a bad drive.

and my bro's friend is a mechanic, and I talked him in to coming with me and my parents to look at the car and he is going to feed them BS about the car too. Hopefully this all works and we don't get caught.

But if anyone has truthful information on why NOT to buy a Corolla, let me know.

kustyn727
05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
im 16 and i just bought a 2001 maxima SE, its nice with all the features and stuff but gas does **** on it and insurance is outragious at my age, i have to pay over $3000 a year just for insurance plus on top of that my car payment. Nice car though!

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 09:37 AM
im 16 and i just bought a 2001 maxima SE, its nice with all the features and stuff but gas does **** on it and insurance is outragious at my age, i have to pay over $3000 a year just for insurance plus on top of that my car payment. Nice car though!
gas is that bad on them? I thought it was something like 28 or 29 mpg? I am just hoping that insurance doesn't get me, but my parents won't even get an insurance quote on it for me, they keep telling me, it'll be too much and that's all you need to know. But I'd at least like to hear the quote they get.

and does anyone know if insurance is just as bad or better on a Altima? I have a chance at getting a '03 Altima, and that was a nice ride....

UndercoverPunk
05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
corolla FTL

937DYTBOI
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Perhaps a new Scion xB would be in order? Great MPG and plenty of room for a system and all your friends... and all your stuff when you move out of your parents house.

i agree totally, tons of mods u can do, ive seen some nice stuff done to these vehicles

in the NY chk this great deal

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=191074793&dealer_id=57072102&car_year=2005&search_type=both&make=SCION&distance=0&model=XB&address=45418&certified=&advanced=&max_price=14000&bkms=1147960585138&min_price=1&end_year=2007&start_year=2002&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=567

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=201987158&dealer_id=57864716&car_year=2005&search_type=both&make=SCION&model=XB&distance=0&address=45418&advanced=&certified=&bkms=1147960585138&max_price=14000&min_price=1&first_record=176&end_year=2007&start_year=2002&isp=y&pager.offset=175&lang=en&cardist=317

kustyn727
05-18-2006, 01:31 PM
on my maxima its suppost to get like 19-22mpg i think but i swear im getting like 18 in the city.

SHOtime
05-18-2006, 01:34 PM
gas is that bad on them? I thought it was something like 28 or 29 mpg? I am just hoping that insurance doesn't get me, but my parents won't even get an insurance quote on it for me, they keep telling me, it'll be too much and that's all you need to know. But I'd at least like to hear the quote they get.

and does anyone know if insurance is just as bad or better on a Altima? I have a chance at getting a '03 Altima, and that was a nice ride....
Try something more like 25 if you're lucky. On the freeway. With a tailwind. V6 just won't get you near 30 esp. for an '02 model.

The Altima should be a better deal. Some of the build quality in the interior is a little crappy in the early models, but shouldn't be too noticeable. Other complaints I have heard have to do with readability of the gauges in daylight. Insurance should be okay as long as it's not the 3.5 SE model. Good luck!

netherland24
05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
its funny u want ur parents to know that the corolla is bad, then they gona say alright kia time *****... nd then u really gona want that corolla. first of all, u want a car that will last for a long time, since it is ur first car, why not get something your parents help pay for, then save up some money and get something nicer and newier in the future?

just my .02cents
also corolla which one is it?

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 02:14 PM
its funny u want ur parents to know that the corolla is bad, then they gona say alright kia time *****... nd then u really gona want that corolla. first of all, u want a car that will last for a long time, since it is ur first car, why not get something your parents help pay for, then save up some money and get something nicer and newier in the future?

just my .02cents
also corolla which one is it?
a couple things first... I paid half on my first car and they picked it out and paid the other half and I had no say in what it would be. And trust me, it was complete shitt. Even they know it was a bad choice. So with this car, I got a loan and will be paying it 100%. I had to get my parents as co-signers because it is a special loan where I don't have to begin paying back any of the loan until I finish college (a special college loan that was available). So really, I hate the fact that my parents are picking this out, If I can get them off of the Corolla pick, I know I will end up with a Grand Am. I would be much happier with that.

BTW, I don't even know what Corolla it is, I don't know much about them. But bottom of the line one, the only nice thing is that it's 5 speed.

bigbangtheory
05-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Fuc that, I say if you have to pay for it 100%, then you should be able to get what you want.

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 05:10 PM
well good news is in. My mom talked to the people selling the Corolla. And they want more now! (they already wanted a horrible $12,000 for it) I brought my bros friend out and he fed my parents a lot of BS about Corolla's and overall, that is out of the question. My mom said we will go to a few dealerships and see what's out there. I may even end up with a Camry and I wouldn't mind that either.

bigbangtheory
05-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Cool man! Get a new camry, those are slick! Dont get the older ones, to me they look like something my G Pa would drive. :)

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Cool man! Get a new camry, those are slick! Dont get the older ones, to me they look like something my G Pa would drive. :)
I will try for the newest year I can afford. My mom even wants me to look at a Matrix... I like them, but they're ugly and there's a lot of them around now.

bigbangtheory
05-18-2006, 05:18 PM
I will try for the newest year I can afford. My mom even wants me to look at a Matrix... I like them, but they're ugly and there's a lot of them around now.

Yeah I heard that. I would look into the Honda Civics as well. I like the new build. Or the VW Golf looks nice as well. Check those out. How much are you looking to spend? I could give you some better ideas.

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I have about $17,000 to spend... I really want this Maxima for $14,000...

I'm not too interested in the Civics. And I drive a lot of VW's and they're pretty good cars, I heard they're expensive to repair tho.

The good thing about my job is that I drive almost every car for a living, so I really know what's a good drive and get to check them out. I work at a car port and I have driven everything from the most expensive cars to come into Canada/USA to the bottom of the line of everything. I would prefer getting a Nissan as my next car, I really am growing on Nissans. Probably the smoothest riding vehicles that I have been in.

bigbangtheory
05-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Have you ever rode in a caddy? Those bishes wrote the book on smooth. :)

I would get the Nissan since you seem to really like it. I mean you are paying for it, so go for it. I dont know why your parents are against it.

DIPayton
05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Have you ever rode in a caddy? Those bishes wrote the book on smooth. :)
many of them. I haven't seen too many for sale in a reasonable price tho... Like there's not many used ones on the market that have really drawn to me, but you are right, smooth rides for sure.

I would get the Nissan since you seem to really like it. I mean you are paying for it, so go for it. I dont know why your parents are against it.
That is my goal. I still dont know why my parents are against it. They aren't even 100% against it, they are just that much in favor of Toyota. And I think Toyota is a great idea, hopefully I can find a Camry that I enjoy. But if the Camry does not work out then I have to get either a Maxima or Altima.

bigbangtheory
05-18-2006, 06:55 PM
I am sure something will turn up for ya. Just keep your eyes peeled.

TD89
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I really can't say much about the Corolla I've never driven one before but I wouldn't want to get one either. For your price point here's some cars I would consider over the Maxima in case you want some other options.

Audi A6 (I'm actually planning on getting one myself sometime in the next year or so. It's a very solid car and pretty quick. Just convince her it's above and beyond a better car than either one, which it is. Also mention safety maybe.)
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=202222498&dealer_id=6556759&car_year=2000&bkms=1148007670277&model=A6&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1999&certified=&search_type=both&distance=0&first_record=26&make=AUDI&min_price=5000&address=37601&advanced=&end_year=2002&pager.offset=25&max_price=16000&cardist=880

Jeep Grand Cherokee (gas milage is kindof bad but I have one and I can tell you it's a really good vehicle all the way around)
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=201046306&dealer_id=70130&car_year=2000&search_type=both&make=JEEP&transmission=&distance=0&model=JEEPGRAND&address=37601&make2=sel_one&certified=&advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=16000&bkms=1148008025675&min_price=5000&first_record=26&end_year=2002&color=&start_year=1999&drive=4+wheel+drive&isp=y&pager.offset=25&engine=8+Cylinder&doors=&fuel=&lang=&cardist=322

I'd tell my mom to get the maxima over the corolla because (not sure if this is all true) it's a safer more solidly built car and you want the safest car for the money. It also handles much better and you could avoid accidents with the better handling capabillites. Call to attention that you need to use your own judgment because her judgement in the last car might not have been the best with the ford. Good luck!

DIPayton
05-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Good call on the Audi A6. I've been looking around at a few Audi's and have been impressed with all of them. I will be looking at that. I saw many Audi A4's that I liked, but these cars can get pricey.

And the Corolla is finally out of question. And I am so happy, I just couldn't drive around in another car picked out by a mom.

Rmsanger
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Dude starting out in life with 16 k in debt for a depreciating asset is the worst mistake to make. You'll be hitting your self 3-4 years down the road when your car is a pos and you're still making payments. Plus if you want to go to college and grad. school you'll be definately killing yourself. A better option could be to buy a 99-00 Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima. Try sticking closer to 10k and the effect of debt later on won't be as bad.

DIPayton
05-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I understand what everyone's saying and thought about it, but as long as I live at home rent free (yes I still love my parents lol) then I should have the car paid off in 2 years - 2 1/2 years max. I think it's a risk that I can take.

TD89
05-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I understand what everyone's saying and thought about it, but as long as I live at home rent free (yes I still love my parents lol) then I should have the car paid off in 2 years - 2 1/2 years max. I think it's a risk that I can take.

If I had to buy a car I wasn't happy with, and then pay for it for 2 years I'd be a very unhappy person. If you buy a car just because it gets good gas milage and is cheap you're gonna hate paying on it most likely. I think if you got a car like an Audi, you wouldn't mind paying for it nearly much because driving it would be much more rewarding.

bigbangtheory
05-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Dude starting out in life with 16 k in debt for a depreciating asset is the worst mistake to make. You'll be hitting your self 3-4 years down the road when your car is a pos and you're still making payments. Plus if you want to go to college and grad. school you'll be definately killing yourself. A better option could be to buy a 99-00 Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima. Try sticking closer to 10k and the effect of debt later on won't be as bad.

What is the huge difference between 10g's to 17g's? I mean I could see if it was a bigger gap, but really there isnt much difference. It will still take him time to pay it off. So miles well get a new car with warranty and something you like. To each its own I always say.;)

ighettoboyi
05-20-2006, 11:32 AM
i wouldn't be caught dead driving a corolla...

all these stupid arguments about longetivity... do you guys realize that maxima's last just as long as corollas? i personally know several maxima's that are well over 200k miles and still running as if they had half that mileage.. i know i'm driving mine till the wheels fall off. i've put on 55k hard miles and it has had absolutely zero problems right now (as it should)--it's too bad i can't say the same for the acura TL in our household..

the only real drawback w/ the max is the rear beam axle. in stock form (and maybe minor suspension mods) it shouldn't matter and it actually performs BETTER than IRS... but once you start doin some real modding, the rear beam totally kills it.

my 03 maxima > your life :)

if you want an altimo, don't get anything older than the 05 (we got an altimo too, trust me..). if i were your age, i'd honestly get a 4th gen max and throw on the 00-01 variable intake...instant mid 14's... or get a sentra and swap the vq35de in it... instant low 13's on street tires hehehe

liar2
05-20-2006, 03:38 PM
If I were you, I'd try and find an altima over a maxima. They do get better gas mileage and are really good cars. Those corollas are definitely good cars too though. Personally, I'm not into putting all sorts of mods onto my car when I know it's just going to depreciate in value anyways. I'd just look for the most efficient car I can get. Insurance is going to be really high with any luxury car or sports car, especially at your age.

DIPayton
05-20-2006, 08:43 PM
well after a lot of BS'ing and working out deals and stuff... My mom is hooked in Sentras... so I'm about half way there on getting her talked into a Maxima... but even if I lose now, I still get to pick up a Sentra and I do like them. My mom even has a friend who has an old Sentra (02 I think) and the thing hasn't had a problem and my mom's really starting to buy into the Nissan thing. Still workin for the Max tho.

SHOtime
05-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Sentra SE-R ftw! But keep on for the Max, if that's what you really want.

DIPayton
05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Maxima I could see ... Altima, sure ... But Sentra ?? I'd rather have the Corolla ...
I found a nice Sentra, a guy put in a lot of work on it and it's pretty nice... I liked it more than a Corolla. And I'm still working on the Maxima thing. We're going to be looking at Maxima's tommorow. It just ***** because every place where I found a nice Maxima, my mom says she doesnt want to buy from that dealership because of things her friends and co-worker said.... the same co-workers that tried to sell her a crap *** Corolla for $12,000 and already sold her a Crap '96 Ford.

TD89
05-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Theres no way I'd get a Sentra theres this guy I know that has one and it's a piece of junk. I've driven it too, they're just not quallity cars, fixed up or not. I wouldn't settle.

DIPayton
05-22-2006, 03:27 AM
Well, I'm not saying the Sentra is junk, but I personally would get the Corolla over the Sentra because:

1) The resale value is much better, so when you leave home and want to get that Maxima you really want, you won't have to pay as much for it
2) It gets better fuel economy; again, you can save more money for your Maxima when you move out
3) Historically, it's one of, if not the most reliable vehicle model ever; less likely to spend $$$ on repairs, more $$$ for Maxima in future
4) If you're not getting the car you really want now, might as well get the one that's going to get you to the car you really want sooner ...
Pretty strong points... Hell, the most convincing yet. I am not completly out of getting this Maxima tho, my parents are slowly understanding why I am so interested in it... but yeah, if not I may go for a Corolla (just not the crap *** $12,000 they want me to buy lol)

DIPayton
05-23-2006, 09:09 PM
another successful day today. My dad thought he would "make me look stupid" by showing me how ridiculous insurance is on a Maxima compared to the Sentra they picked out.... and the Maxima was $3 per year more than the Sentra! hahaha, he told me it was insurance that was the problem and why I couldnt get the Maxima... but it's $3 difference haha.

bumpinne0n
05-24-2006, 11:58 PM
well after a lot of BS'ing and working out deals and stuff... My mom is hooked in Sentras... so I'm about half way there on getting her talked into a Maxima... but even if I lose now, I still get to pick up a Sentra and I do like them. My mom even has a friend who has an old Sentra (02 I think) and the thing hasn't had a problem and my mom's really starting to buy into the Nissan thing. Still workin for the Max tho.

If you can't talk her into a Maxima, see if she'll go for a SE-R Sentra. I think they're fun to drive and they handle pretty well for what they are.

slain93gsr
05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I've worked with toyota for a few years now and commonly see corollas come in with 200-300k. for the money your looking at spending. ever thought about a used scion tc

DIPayton
05-27-2006, 04:47 PM
well guys, I picked up a Maxima... To please my parents, I had to get a GLE instead of the 6 speed SE I wanted. The GLE was a little cheaper, and came with 4 year warranty from one of the top dealers from where we are at. So I am very happy with the choice I made now.