PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Birtch Ply Box W/liquid deadener?

brassknucklez
05-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't have access to a truck to purchase a few sheets of MDF. I do however have three sheets of 3/4 Baltic Birtch plywood. I know there is at least one person who makes custom enclosures out of this material. I am going to give it a try, and was wondering about using some liquid second skin spectrum to deaden the inside of the box.

Is this a waste of time?

squeak12
05-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Baltic Birch ply is a very nice material to use, just much more expensive than MDF.

brassknucklez
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
yes, i knew it was a great material to use for box building. I was more curious about applying liquid deadener to the box to make it super solid.

ramos
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Deadener won't add any strength, Might kill resonations. How big of an enclosure are you talking about ? :)

brassknucklez
05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
i was speaking about killing resonations. It will be 4ft³ total. Two separate chambers, sealed.

req
05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
so it will be two 2 cube boxes.

that wood is as strong if not stronger than MDF imo. i would rather have boxes built out of 13 ply baltic birch than MDF anyday :p:

but one sheet of that shiz is like $50 :p:

so you shouldnt need to deaden the inside at all really.

helotaxi
05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
It's MUCH stronger than MDF. The large number of plys and the lack of voids make BB plywood fairly free of resonance as well. It's also lighter than MDF. The only drawback is cost, but since you already have it...

brassknucklez
05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
i was really just getting at.... Will there be any benefit at all soundwise if i deaden the inside of the box... I have a bunch of the liquid stuff around and no real use for it, and wondered if it might help a bit.

brassknucklez
05-11-2006, 06:16 PM
or at the least if it wouldn't hurt any.

AcidicDreams
05-11-2006, 06:19 PM
i was really just getting at.... Will there be any benefit at all soundwise if i deaden the inside of the box... I have a bunch of the liquid stuff around and no real use for it, and wondered if it might help a bit.

no.... just make a brace or two... if you have no use for the liquid stuff go for it but I doubt it'll make a difference

req
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
he will have a center divider. essentially two sealed 2cube boxes.

you might as well rip your car apart and apply the deadener on that, and if you already did that, install it in somones car locally for a hefty price :)