PDA

View Full Version : some easy questions for you pros

95Prober
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
hi.
im going to tackle my first box in a while and just wanna make sure im prepared
i hope i can get some help, thanks!!

1. what is the concensus to the best "lenth" and the "distance apart" of the screws that puts holds the box in place?

2. will "any" type of caulking do for the inside of the corners? is there any brands to avoid?

3. what is the consensus to which brand glue to place between the pieces of MDF ?

4. im making a ported box. im going to round out the corners on the inside part of the port for better flow. should i make the curve a nice arc ? completely rounded and smooth?

5. im going to lightly sand the port with 220 grit then spray black enamel for looks. would that be ok?

6. the box is for (4) 12's. is it necessary to brace or double up the side where the subs mount?

im so sorry about all the questions! just wanna make sure of everything thats all
i appreciate any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tRiGgEr
05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
hi.
im going to tackle my first box in a while and just wanna make sure im prepared
i hope i can get some help, thanks!!

1. what is the concensus to the best "lenth" and the "distance apart" of the screws that puts holds the box in place?

2. will "any" type of caulking do for the inside of the corners? is there any brands to avoid?

3. what is the consensus to which brand glue to place between the pieces of MDF ?

4. im making a ported box. im going to round out the corners on the inside part of the port for better flow. should i make the curve a nice arc ? completely rounded and smooth?

5. im going to lightly sand the port with 220 grit then spray black enamel for looks. would that be ok?

6. the box is for (4) 12's. is it necessary to brace or double up the side where the subs mount?

im so sorry about all the questions! just wanna make sure of everything thats all
i appreciate any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.) presonal prefrence. every 1 1/2" is ideal. and a 1 5/8" screw.
2.) Simple Silicone is what should be used. You can use silicone II if wanted.
3.) Any wood glue. Elmers/tightbond... Make sure it's WOOD GLUE.
4.) As round and smooth as possible. It does not have to be a perfect 90 degree rounded angle. Just get it as smooth as possible to reduce possible port noise.
5.) You really will not need to sand the port before painting. As it will not be very visable. But it will not hurt.
6.) A double baffle and bracing would be ideal. You want there to be no flexing of the panels. And depending on the design, that may be present.

Post a pic of the design.

PowerNaudio
05-11-2006, 03:01 PM
1.) presonal prefrence. every 1 1/2" is ideal.

i agree with everything ealse. but every 1 1/2" apart seems a little over kill and can possibly cause the mdf to split, even predrilling.

i suggest every 4" to 5" apart.

Chevyaudio
05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah everything Trigger said sounds about right except for the"Screws every 1 1/2 apart" try more like 4-6 inches apart

tRiGgEr
05-11-2006, 05:01 PM
LOLERS I didn't even realize I typed 1 1/2" for screw spacing. Thanks peeps.

4" was the ideal "consensus" on the forums for screw spacing.

95Prober
05-12-2006, 12:36 AM
LOLERS I didn't even realize I typed 1 1/2" for screw spacing. Thanks peeps.

4" was the ideal "consensus" on the forums for screw spacing.

sorry to ask, but ....

1. what "type of screw" do you use?

2. oh, i heard some people talk about weatherstripping. where would this be applied?

3. am i supposed to put something between the sub and surface of the box to make it seal better?

Ingleside
05-12-2006, 12:44 AM
1 1/2 or 1 5/8 inch coarse thread drywall screws.

photocrazy8
05-12-2006, 01:23 AM
no, most stubs have some thing on the bottom of the ring to get a good seal.

TITEBOND II wood glue is awesome...

j3bus2k3
05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I used a speaker gasket caulk off partsexpress.com to seal the woofer to the box...its was $.32 I couldnt resist, lol

95Prober
05-12-2006, 11:04 AM
no, most stubs have some thing on the bottom of the ring to get a good seal.

TITEBOND II wood glue is awesome...

so titebond for putting the box together ?

_DjScrew_
05-12-2006, 11:07 AM
i use gorilla glue and silicone

tRiGgEr
05-12-2006, 11:11 AM
sorry to ask, but ....

1. what "type of screw" do you use?

2. oh, i heard some people talk about weatherstripping. where would this be applied?

3. am i supposed to put something between the sub and surface of the box to make it seal better?

1.) Go to home depot, pick up coarse threaded drywall screws.
2.) Weather stripping is applied to the under side of the sub. Only if the sub does not come with a mounting gasket. It will ensure a air tight seal for the sub.
3.) See number 2 :D

tRiGgEr
05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
so titebond for putting the box together ?

I use good ole Elmers carpenter wood glue. Or regular wood glue.

http://www.elmers.com/homerepair/product_page.asp?pCode=E700