PDA

View Full Version : wut router u use?

SQBubble
05-09-2006, 12:09 AM
brand and suggestion that would work with the Jasper Circle Jig 200 and 400 also! thx, i want those perfect circle :crazy: :D

helotaxi
05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I use a Skil plunge router that I bought at Home Depot for like $70. I have the Jasper jigs and I can't convey how much I like them in words. I really don't know how I built all the boxes I built in high school without them.

Spkrman
05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
I use a Skil plunge router that I bought at Home Depot for like $70. I have the Jasper jigs and I can't convey how much I like them in words. I really don't know how I built all the boxes I built in high school without them.

same here.

I cracked my jasper jig in 2... was gonna grab another, then I made my own jig. Cuts smoother now, and gives me alot more control. I can lock my router into my jig in about 30 sec's, without unscrewing the bottom plate and the router wont budge. Not to mention, 3/4" pboard isn't gonna just fall apart while I'm pulling the router out of a hole I just cut?

I've found just making the jigs is better than buying one. For small holes, I just drilled holes in the bottom plate and throw a nail through there when I need it, works like a charm :cool:

WHen I started, I had a jigsaw and a screwdriver... I was also 10/11 years old. My arms would fall off if I tried to assemble a box with a screwdriver today, I must have had one hell of a grip for a 10 year old! I still have my first drill, a corded skil... I use it solely to predrill screw holes and holes for the router to cut circles.

I wanna say I finally got a circular saw for my 12th/13th bday, which served me well until a cheapy table saw on the 18th bday... and now I've got a beastly table saw that gets much more use :) Belt sander, router, cordless drill with 4 batts, corded drill, air nailer/stapler... stuff I use everyday.

I'm glad I learned with the bare minimum tools, kinda like learning how to to math without a calculator... gives you a much better understanding and appreciation for how everything works/goes together.

Expy2K
05-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I use a dewalt,

All my tools are Dewalt, graduation gift from my grandpa

sooo

ya...

:)

danteBirosel
05-09-2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.skilshop.com/reconditioned_tools/routers/1820-rt.html

:D i bought that couple months ago, and **** i love it so much. seems like its a brand new router, clean and smooth cuts. Btw, they ship fast!

-dante

Spkrman
05-09-2006, 01:12 AM
I use a dewalt,

All my tools are Dewalt, graduation gift from my grandpa

sooo

ya...

:)

You **** :(

All I asked for year before last for xmas was a dewalt jigsaw... I have alot of family, and I just said for people to not bother getting me any BS, just come together on a dewalt jigsaw, cmon, maybe 5 bux a peice.

Xmas time comes, and I get the same bottom line black n decker that broke on me a few months earlier :crying:

That one broke, and I bought the skil I still have today :cool:

Fast1one
05-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Homemade compas, pencil, jig saw, and patience....meh good enough :D

One of these days ill buy a router...

SQBubble
05-09-2006, 01:23 AM
alright then, I guess ill grab one Skil plunge router at home depot very soon then!!!
do they come with a manual that tells u how to use all this stuff cuz I have no clue, or is it plain simple? and how do the jasper jig work? i just dont get it when I see the picture?
http://www.vernk.com/images/CenteringRings/CircleCutterJig.jpg

.....however I'm familiar with the simple jig saw!

thx alot guys, keep them experience comin', helps me alot and other people as well....i guess:rolleyes: .:D

LeofromtheH
05-09-2006, 02:52 AM
i've just got a plain jane skil jigsaw:crying: , hopefully il get a router soon

soul05
05-09-2006, 03:18 AM
i use a 20 dollar router

Cahm Rohn
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Rotozip FTW

joeldirt
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM
same here.

I cracked my jasper jig in 2... was gonna grab another, then I made my own jig. Cuts smoother now, and gives me alot more control. I can lock my router into my jig in about 30 sec's, without unscrewing the bottom plate and the router wont budge. Not to mention, 3/4" pboard isn't gonna just fall apart while I'm pulling the router out of a hole I just cut?

I've found just making the jigs is better than buying one. For small holes, I just drilled holes in the bottom plate and throw a nail through there when I need it, works like a charm :cool:

WHen I started, I had a jigsaw and a screwdriver... I was also 10/11 years old. My arms would fall off if I tried to assemble a box with a screwdriver today, I must have had one hell of a grip for a 10 year old! I still have my first drill, a corded skil... I use it solely to predrill screw holes and holes for the router to cut circles.

I wanna say I finally got a circular saw for my 12th/13th bday, which served me well until a cheapy table saw on the 18th bday... and now I've got a beastly table saw that gets much more use :) Belt sander, router, cordless drill with 4 batts, corded drill, air nailer/stapler... stuff I use everyday.

I'm glad I learned with the bare minimum tools, kinda like learning how to to math without a calculator... gives you a much better understanding and appreciation for how everything works/goes together.

cool story. reminds me of me when I was a kid...

I use a Freud 3 1/4 hp plunge router with my jasper jig... Got it off Amazon.com... I have two of them . one mounted in my router table, and one with the jasper jig full time. I also have a Makita Fixed base router for misc. stiff, and a dewalt laminate trimmer... I also have a few die grinders.... So the rotary tool section is fully covered here.... For you... only wanting hole cut outs, go for the cheapest model... It won't see too much abuse, and will give you the results you are expecting for a long time... Treat the tool right,a dn the cheaper model will do you just as good as an expensive one... I buy expensive quality tools because I use them at my work every day. I need to depend on them... YOu can aford to go cheaper in this situation. Also building your own jig can save you money, and can actually give you more flexibility if you ever wanted to cut larger circles then 18 15/16ths.

MadAudio
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
dremel here with the router attachment :)

InhumanAcura
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
porter cable and jasper ftw

TypeRBass
05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
i use a ryobi router ftw...got it cheap and it works a + for me.

James Bang
05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
x2

helotaxi
05-10-2006, 03:06 AM
The thing I like about the Jasper jigs is that they are much more precise than anything I could make myself. I still have yet to but a drill press and if I was looking to cut an exact size hole that I am going to run a ring of screws around and I can't afford any tear through...

For the original poster--the Jasper jigs come with pretty good instructions. You will need a 1/4" bit for the router and one that can plunge cut is a plus though you can just drill a pilot hole with a regular drill bit. Be careful. A router will go thru MDF like a hot knife thru butter. It will go thru your hands even quicker. It will jump pretty good when you first turn it on, so make sure you hang on.

I had to buy all my tools myself :( . I did manage to pay for the routers (I have a Crastman Professional permanently mounted to a router table insert in one leaf of my table saw), the table saw and my compund miter saw on one project when I installed hardwood flooring though the entire upstairs of our last house saving on the order of $1500 over having it professionally done. Since then the wife has never really questioned me purchasing tools. I do still need a drill press and bandsaw...That will probably happen when I get back to the States.