PDA

View Full Version : sub displacement

orioles26
05-08-2006, 04:44 AM
If i am using one of the box design that is in the sticky at the top, will the dislacement of the sub cause a change in the tuing or is it still going to be tuned the same regardless of the subs displacement.

ssj2xxgotenxx
05-08-2006, 05:07 AM
no the sub displacement wont change the tuning of the box, but it will affect the internal volume.

Ingleside
05-08-2006, 05:31 AM
If i read thoes plans right, they do account for sub displacement. the volumes listed in the actual diagrams usually add up to more than what the plan is labled as.
because of this i am going to assume that once you get a sub in the box you'll loose a little bit of internal volume bringing down the volume to what the plan is labled as.

sub displacement technically does affect the tuning of a box but its only to a point where you will not notice it. whenever you lower the NET volume by either adding a brace, piece of wood or larger sub you will raise the tuning frequency a bit. enough to be able to tell? not really. but technically yes.

ssj2xxgotenxx
05-08-2006, 05:51 AM
If i read thoes plans right, they do account for sub displacement. the volumes listed in the actual diagrams usually add up to more than what the plan is labled as.
because of this i am going to assume that once you get a sub in the box you'll loose a little bit of internal volume bringing down the volume to what the plan is labled as.

sub displacement technically does affect the tuning of a box but its only to a point where you will not notice it. whenever you lower the NET volume by either adding a brace, piece of wood or larger sub you will raise the tuning frequency a bit. enough to be able to tell? not really. but technically yes.

Wise words there.

Moe Lester's plans are pretty fullproof since his plans do allow room for driver displacement and internal bracing. His plans allowed me to add internal bracing and driver displacement while still retaining factory recommendations for my driver. So he leaves you some room to play with.