PDA

View Full Version : what should i study for sound quality installs

noob with an RS
05-06-2006, 08:42 PM
hey i want to major in something in college that has to do with sound. i'd like to mainly become an audio engineer or something like that but i'd also like to be knowledgable in sound so that i can design a TOP-NOTCH AUDIOPHILIC HOME/CAR AUDIO system, bu ti have no idea what kind of programs or what the major would be called.. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

mastarecoil
05-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Purdue University is a great engineering school, and through their Interdiciplinary Engineering program you can get a degree in Acoustical Engineering.

noob with an RS
05-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Purdue University is a great engineering school, and through their Interdiciplinary Engineering program you can get a degree in Acoustical Engineering.
holy crap thats out in indiana man i live in sunny san diego and im not planning to ever leave. hahaha... so engineering would teach me all the fundamentals i need to know about sound??

mastarecoil
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Well, there are a couple good engineering schools out near you too, as long as you can deal with all the nutcases that are teaching there. Acoustical engineering will teach you all you need to know about sound. If you want to learn what kind of speakers to buy and use in your house, you might be better off getting a job at a good speaker shop and learn there. Engineering isnt easy, and if you are wanting more trade skill kind of stuff you might look into automotive and technical classes at itt tech/ivy tech/etc, but if you really want to know your **** go for an acoustical engineering degree.

noob with an RS
05-07-2006, 06:10 PM
i was hoping to study something that i could fall bacc on with in the studio. in the end, i want to work for a music studio or have my own or something like that. do people hire acoustical engineers to mix down their songs or anything like that? or do acoustical engineers deal with the physical properties of sound such as the room's environment and stuff like that?

mastarecoil
05-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Acoustical engineering is more the phsyics side of it. They study sound, how to produce it, how to manipulate it, and how to use it. They might be working in a studio, but more likely working with other engineers or arcitects on designing an audiotorium, theatres, or other builds where acoustics are important, or they work to design new speakers, or make a submarine harder to detect in the water, things like that.

noob with an RS
05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
manipulate sound? that's one of the key things i want to learn to do.. manipulate sounds.. and by that, u mean making sound-effects or anything imaginable from scratch? if so, im there :D

cadencechef
05-08-2006, 01:25 AM
hi my name is chef kyle humphrey and i live in ft worth texas and i just wanted to comment on your sound quality adventure. i have been competing in sound quality for almost four yrs and it is without a doubt the best part of car audio in my opinion, i mean anyone can put togather a spl set up but to build a sq car and really fine tune it is trully the road to take. it is so cool everything you can learn about sq. if u want to learn alot about sq. follow guys like mark eldridge and gary biggs those guys a re the kings of sq. and check out usaci as well. well thankyou for your time...have a nice day...chef kyle

noob with an RS
05-08-2006, 06:10 AM
im sorry but how will i learn from knowing about them?? do you mean follow them physically? hahah