PDA

View Full Version : Ported box help

arsonbob
05-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Ok so im clearly new to this forum just like many other people. I'd just like to say thanks in advance for any and all help. So I am getting two Kicker comp c12's (12"). They are 300w peak and 150w RMS (simple introductory subs for my 94 explorer, space is not a problem and I plan to mount them up against the left wheel well). I want a ported enclosure, OR a sealed one. I heard a ported one at circuit city, but I didn't want to pay $200 for it however I liked the sound it produced much more than the sealed enclosures. Anyways, I know the pluses and minuses of both enclosures already. I did the math on an online calculator with the formulas and i came up with

Vr=1.69
Vb=5.3
Fb=43.44
F3=43.89

So from this I take it that I will need 5.3 cubes of space INSIDE the box, taking account of the displacement from the TWO subs that i want to use and the ports and braces.

I however, do not know how to find port calculations, a link would help, or your calculations would help. However, the most help would be if someone would draw up or link me to plans that would work for me. Thanks again. I appreciate any and all help.

j3bus2k3
05-06-2006, 09:09 PM
no no, unless this is a comp box do not tune that high (Fb). It will sound like complete *** on the bottom end of the spectrum...I'm assuming these are 12's? 5.0 net(net volume = volume after port, driver and brace displacment) is probably what I would go for. And tune it b/w 32-36 for daily with a nice overall SPL.

arsonbob
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
no no, unless this is a comp box do not tune that high (Fb). It will sound like complete *** on the bottom end of the spectrum...I'm assuming these are 12's? 5.0 net(net volume = volume after port, driver and brace displacment) is probably what I would go for. And tune it b/w 32-36 for daily with a nice overall SPL.

Yeah they are 12's, and yeah I was looking at it and could not figure out why the hell is was so high. Thanks for clarifying that. It was really bugging me. So I think I'm going to shoot for 35. Would 32 make that much of a difference in SQL and SPL?