PDA

View Full Version : My Box

Slaymon
11-07-2002, 07:09 PM
I already have a sealed box that is has to dual chambers with each being 3.2 cubic inches. I wanna convert it to a ported box. Would you recommend it or what? I would make the port and put an outter lip on it so it sticks out 3/4 inch. Ok, what I'm trying to figure out would it matter how far the port sticks out of the box as long as the port volume is the same? Because I'm gonna put an outter lip on the port slide it in and then drill then lip to the box. Would that be ok?

ramos
11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Yep it will work. as long as the port dimensions are the same. The port can protrude from the enclosure. As for wether you should port the enclosre or not. That depends on what kind of subs. :)

Trixter
11-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ramos
Yep it will work. as long as the port dimensions are the same. The port can protrude from the enclosure. As for wether you should port the enclosre or not. That depends on what kind of subs. :)

So your saying that if I put my port in the box with a flush front, that would be the same as if I mounted the port on the outside with the back of it being flush with the inside of the box? I always thought it depended on how much of the port was on the inside of the box so it would capture a certain freq. as it came off the back wall. The distance from the back wall and the end of the port would determine the wave it would capture.

ramos
11-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Nope. you can extend the port outside the enclosure if needed. Just remember to not add the port displacement in when your building your enclosure. Or your tuning is going to be off slightly. :)

Slaymon
11-08-2002, 04:28 PM
As long as the port volume is still the same, its all good?

By the way I have 2 12" HE2's and Soundstream Picasso 880.2 pushing them. Just curious, you dont happen to know if the new Soundstream line is still underrated do ya?

ramos
11-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Slaymon
As long as the port volume is still the same, its all good?

By the way I have 2 12" HE2's and Soundstream Picasso 880.2 pushing them. Just curious, you dont happen to know if the new Soundstream line is still underrated do ya?

Yep

And yep :)

bobhope
11-12-2002, 06:08 PM
So i could make a 50 foot port and route it to come inside of my window and lose no sound quality? :D

ramos
11-13-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by bobhope
So i could make a 50 foot port and route it to come inside of my window and lose no sound quality? :D

It would probably sound like a$$ due to the funky tuning with a 50 foot port ;) But it could be done if that length of port was required. :)

ss3079
11-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by bobhope

Hehe, probably sound pretty bad, but its something to try...:D :D

- Steve