PDA

View Full Version : horn design

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
was b/sing with James Bang, and reminded me I had this design froma long time ago.. This was posted in this forum about a year ago and I busted it back outfor some people who may not have seen it and wanted to try building a cool Dual Bandpass Horn design by decaware... I am going to build one my self for the hell of it. Next question is what subs to load with... I was thinking two SE12's.

http://www.decware.com/Whornok.htm

James Bang
04-29-2006, 08:01 PM
:rolleyes: you and your striebig

watch me build this w/ my misaligned 10" table saw. :hihorse:

oh. I'll say throw whatever you have laying around in it.

I might make me a 10" version when im not busy, sometime this :crazy: year

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 08:04 PM
they don't get loud in a car... just so you know....

the mouth area is way to small for it to have any gain at all (when in a vehicle) over a ported box...

they may work alright in a house, but a driver optimised horn would be alot better idea.

that is good to know... Then I can make one for my house covered with a curly maple vaneer, or maybe curly eucaliptus (however you spell it.)

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
actually, my friend did make a wicked one... for his bedroom, said it sounded like ****, and wasn't loud, so he pulled it apart, and used the MDF for a ported box... :p

I doubt anything from decaware is crap... Maybe somthing went wrong in the construction.. or maybe the subs used were just totaly not right for that type of enclosure.. Mabye their response capabilities were not compatible with the enclosure tuning.

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
:rolleyes: you and your striebig

watch me build this w/ my misaligned 10" table saw. :hihorse:

oh. I'll say throw whatever you have laying around in it.

I might make me a 10" version when im not busy, sometime this :crazy: year

hey..... the striebig rocks! My own shop will have one one day. 25,000 dollars isnt too much to invest in a business. That and a CNC router I would be set up!

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 08:10 PM
MAYBE the enclosure is no better than a prefab box, and you'd be better with a horn designed for the specific driver!!!

don't get me wrong I agree that the box may not be suitable for Car audio... I agree that the subs should match the enclosure.. thats why parameters are there for us. otherwise we would be shooting in the dark all of the time designing enclosures for subs... I was just saying that he may have used some subs that didnt go well with the enclosure... or maybe he made a mistake when constructing it? Who knows.

I could make a simple one for my single four ohm kicker 8's and run them to 8 homs at 100watts rms from my kenwood reciever just for a fun experiment. I am curious as to what it will do in comparison to the stock ****** *** enclosure that came with the cheap kenwood system

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 08:15 PM
and... are your woofers going to suit the enclosure? :rolleyes:

honestly I don't have any epxerience with this type of enclosure... That is why I am curious as to how it will perform.. It obviously looks cool and could have some good possibilities to enclose in a Plexi coverd top, but I am not sure what subs would be best suited to be mounted in it... I would think some with a response that will go from 20- 700 hz. would suit fine... This is all for fun with me just experimenting... have you done much HT stuff?

James Bang
04-29-2006, 08:16 PM
and... are your woofers going to suit the enclosure? :rolleyes:
he's not trying to argue w/ you. :eyebrow:
There are good reviews and bad reviews for this design. maybe/hopefully his will be... good. anyways, it'll be a fun build.

PowerNaudio
04-29-2006, 10:03 PM
why not go with a TL design sutable to what ever sub youre looking to use. i just build a 8th wave TL for a 6.5 midbass and it sound like a 10" sub.
im a get an EU-700 in it, itll most likely double its output. the enclosure it self is only 24" high and 7" all around. the port is like 48" tuned to like 33hz. my friends where very impresed.

simpler to build too

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/402743/15

req
04-29-2006, 10:17 PM
they don't get loud in a car... just so you know....

the mouth area is way to small for it to have any gain at all (when in a vehicle) over a ported box...

they may work alright in a house, but a driver optimised horn would be alot better idea.

you are a F*cking idot.

will you just get off this forum already?

the wicked one is a really great horn design, folded horns are made to get loud and sound good, think of it like a trumpet wich amplifies the air flowing through that you are blowing and depending on the volume of the tube it goes thru (that you change iwth the valves on the trumpet) will change the sound.

so basically the enclosure is kind of like a box that further amplifies the soundwaves and stuff.

if you can design one for the right kind of speaker, you should have a great sounding enclosure. but they are tricky to make and take a lot of testing.

req
04-29-2006, 11:24 PM
ok mr bass man.

because you know what kind of drivers to use in them. thats why they have adujstable specs.

if you read the **** tutorial, you are supposed to build the box so the size of the sealed chamber is the right size for the driver. it says to model it after a 4th order bandpass, and build the correctly sized sealed chamber.

apparently you did all this and know the ins and outs of designing a folded horn or a transmission line enclosure.

yes, its a BEGINNERS HORN. its meant to get people in the DIY community to start building these kinds of enclosures and understand the benifits of a folded horn over a plain ported box. it is NOT the end-all-be-all of horns, nor does it work with ever driver, nor is it the greatest horn out there.

but it has been prooven many times to work and sound good with the correct drivers and the correct enclosure sizes.

im not claiming to know a lot about the design of horns, but i do know they are efficent as hell if done right, and i will tell you that the wicked one is a beginner horn.

so dont knock an enclosure desing because YOU had a bad expierence with it. because if somone built a ported box with the wrong specs and a crappy driver, they would have a bad expierence, and that does NOT mean ALL proted boxes are crappy :rolleyes:

Pyro_By_Nature
04-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Death by bass, you are a ****ING IDIOT.So many of your posts are just pure ignorance, and stupidity.All you do is talk out of your ***.

I KNOW for a ****ING FACT, that Steve knows at LEAST 10x more about horns than you.

Until YOU and YOU ONLY (not a "friend") build a WO, then you can come back and ATTEMPT to trash a perfectly good box.No, it's not the greatest box ever and there are boxes that will get louder.

Buuuuut, in quite a few cases it'll be louder than a ported box.I currently have 2 8" rf punch Z's in a WO in this "office" room, corner loaded, and it sounds pretty good and gets loud enough for now.In car, it was simply louder.To say they're not loud in car is pure stupidity.The 2 8's with 150 watts BETWEEN THE PAIR, was *almost* as loud as 2 15" Memphis PR's with 300 watts between the two in a "team toxic bass" designed box (kinda ****** imo).Only 40hz up though.Anyone who heard it, couldn't believe it was only 2 8's.

If BUILT PROPERLY, they are pretty efficent.I can't tell you how many boxes I've tested those 8's in.The only box that was louder, was a one note box for them.Currently it's the loudest for THOSE SUBS.Is it end all be all?Hell no.But it is a great box and doesn't deserve to be trashed by the stupidity of you.

Pyro_By_Nature
04-30-2006, 01:54 AM
You do realize, over 60% of your posts are just "claims" with no proof to back them up.

Pyro_By_Nature
04-30-2006, 01:58 AM
At least I have credibility ;) And a vehicle that'll actually go faster than 40mph :laugh:

Pyro_By_Nature
04-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Now now you homo, that's no way to get picturz ;)

"and got 1st with a 137.3 @ 52hz in my modified WO"

He didn't post the mod., for all we know his mod. could have been ****** and actually HURT the score.

Pyro_By_Nature
04-30-2006, 02:42 AM
It doesn't matter how he modded it.If he had no clue what he was doing he could have easily brought the score down.

req
04-30-2006, 03:03 AM
guys guys please, he obviously had a bad expierence with the wicked one folded horn, so let him be.

and btw mr superduperbassman - just because the # on the mic is lower, does not mean that it wont sound louder to ear.

ive heard setups that only did mid 40's in a daily box that sounded alot louder than setups that did 50's on the TL. so that claim\comment is completly useless.

but ill tell you something - regardless of the fact that the guy who designed it does not know why it works the way it does, does not mean it does not work. YOU had bad results, that does not mean its a crappily designed horn little man.

just because it is not the loudest box you have ever had, does not mean its a piece of garbage. so stop sniffing your *** because you think your **** smells like roses. voice your OBJECTIVE OPPINION **CONSTRUCTIVLY** and then thats it.

you could have said something along the lines of;

"my friend built a wicked one for a pair of w0's, and i have heard setups that sounded better and got louder than it, but that was my expierence with that type of enclosure, and i know that if the horn was designed for the subs, it most likely would have gotten louder and sounded better. maybe try to make a horn desigend for your specific drivers?"

instead of acting like you are the king of the forum and you know everything there is to know.

just a tip, because with the attitude ive seen you having around these parts, you certainly wont make friends quickly.

req
04-30-2006, 03:35 AM
no you dont, you ****ing dont have to compare anything on a mic.

if you feel that it sounds louder, then thats your **** oppinion. IMO - 30hz sounds WAY louder tha 60hz burp boxes.

sure its objective but ive heard alot of systems, and i have access to a termlab and i work on a SPL van with 12kw all the time.

so dont come out and say your socalled friends wicked one with some w0's wasnt loud enough for you. because thats one expierence, and ive heard a lot more expierences by a lot more people, and you are the first with a negative one.

so im going to believe the majority of DIY people with all of their expierence (including RAMOS) than you and your arrogant comments about everything.

Pyro_By_Nature
04-30-2006, 03:46 AM
but you have no proof of that...

so, in other words, we have a WO, thats doing 137dB, and no real arguement against it....

you never metered yours, so, maybe you should shut the **** up... :)

How do you know I didn't meter it?Just a guess on your behalf.See, you bash me with all this "proof" bull ****, but you don't have any proof either.

But I never did get to meter that set-up.Buuut, compared to the only set up I had on the TL (many others on the AC though) did close to a 138 and it was close in output when burped to the ear.Someday I will meter it.But until then, that's my opinion.It's not the greatest box ever, but it sure as **** isn't trash just because your "friend" might or might not have built it properly.

req
04-30-2006, 03:53 AM
well, its not a bad design.

you are the first person ive ever heard having a bad expierence with one.

req
04-30-2006, 04:40 AM
might be not the best, but its far from ****. and i hardly believe it is "not even designed".

you poophead.

req
04-30-2006, 04:43 AM
well, are you up to building a proper design for this kid?

because like i said several times, you are the first person ive ever heard giving a bad review of the wicked one.

req
04-30-2006, 04:45 AM
poopie head.

req
04-30-2006, 04:48 AM
fan-tastic.

what you wanna do now?

req
04-30-2006, 05:03 AM
cool.

howd you design it? ive not delved into the pages and pages of tech stuff on horn desin and theory. interesting idea to have double throat\mouth area with a small footprint.

cool way to replace the driver, make a "flushmount" cutout (like youd flush a speaker baffle in a box" in the outer wall right over the driver and put a 3\4 piece of plexi and some nice machiene screws with some Tnuts CA glued onto the back and some weather strip between.

that would look sweet (make it big enough diamater to put the speaker in.

cool stuff.

req
04-30-2006, 05:16 AM
lol good luck with that.

so if you dont know anything about the theory how do you know what volume to have in the throat\mouth and ****?

req
04-30-2006, 05:35 AM
so you just throw in T\S and it will make the optimized horn for you?

cool beans.

do you just kinda make it close to the horn shape when you cad ieet up?

req
04-30-2006, 05:41 AM
lawl. i dont even know what speaker to **** around with in this. ill play with it tomrrow. bedtime.

see how nice and friendly this got?

:)

be a nice man and people will be nice to you :)

req
04-30-2006, 05:54 AM
then they are poopheads.

and closeminded at that.

anywho - thanks for the hornresp prog.

i downloaded it here;
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

*shrug* dont know how to use it yet. but cool :p:

Volenti
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Check out the DiyAudio wiki http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Loudspeaker

For guides on using hornresp and designing horn enclosures.

PowerNaudio
04-30-2006, 02:07 PM
this one looks interesting
http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm
dl plans: http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/klipschorn.pdf