PDA

View Full Version : Making pods, then copying them?...

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I've got an 87 Porsche 924s and I'd like to make some pods. I'm working on several different designs...

The thing is once they are done I'd like to find a way to reproduce the pods fairly easily and sell them, there is a fair market for something like this over the internet because the stock front speaker opening's on 924/944 cars are 4x6 and they usually only fit SUCKY speakers such as Blaupunkts.

This is how I was going to do it-

Make the pods from fiberglass or ?

Take the made pods, wrap them in plastic and coat them in Vaseline, then wrap them in plastic again.

Press them into wet plaster and let dry. The plaster should release from the made pods via the Petroleum Jelly, leaving the imprinted contour/shape of the pods.

From there, I don't know if I could just spray the plaster with resin to seal it...

Then use petrolum jelly directly on the mold and lay the material and then saok with resin.

After it was dry The jelly would let the shapre release from the mold for finishing?

What do you think? I'm a fiberglass n00x but I've got big plans for it if you guys think this might work. :)

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Shoot wrong section...:( I got excited and changed my topic, should be in fiberglassing, srry mods.

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 02:39 PM
ANy fiberglassing tutorials or anything anywhere thay you suggest I read?

Help me out :(

AcidicDreams
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
you seem to be a huge fan of vasoline... but in any case I'd just have some company do 50 copies or so from plans for you.... I imagine you can find a company somewhere to do it... as for yourself I'm not sure it seems like you'd just do the same process over and over, no point in trying to copy the end result if your building from plans anyways...

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 02:49 PM
you seem to be a huge fan of vasoline... but in any case I'd just have some company do 50 copies or so from plans for you.... I imagine you can find a company somewhere to do it... as for yourself I'm not sure it seems like you'd just do the same process over and over, no point in trying to copy the end result if your building from plans anyways...

No, I'd be making some fiberglass pods by hand then copying them via molds per order.

I may have to make three or four prototypes before I find one that looks good and is easy to install.

I know of vasoline because that is an agent which works well for non-adhereance... Nothing is gonna stick to it.

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I found someone who makes a carbon fiber set but they look horrid :(

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=269238

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Nobody fiberglasses then? I guess I should just make some pods on my own then STFU and try to copy them anyway, huh :(