PDA

View Full Version : Help my car breathe

bibby
04-26-2006, 04:19 AM
I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX, and believe it or not, i bought the poor car from someone tying to make it a ricer, and i just want a dependable daily driver that gets good MPG, the exhaust is just a fart cannon, its not loud, but it actually sounds good. The intake is ****ed up. the 4 basic things to make a car breath better is Intake, Header, Cat Converter, and Exhaust right? If this is so, these are the things i am fixing to start upgrading. i dont want any extra hp, but if these upgrades add hp, then fine. MY GOAL HERE IS MPG. The following is a pic of my car, and the current intake. Followed by a pic of Smeade's new intake on his civic (rebuild), and an intake kit i found that if that is what i need, i am ordering.

To sum up all the questions.
1. To make a car breath better i add: Intake, Header, Cat Converter, and Exhaust right?
2. Is my intake ****ed up and killing MPG?(This is the way it was when i bought it)
3. Is the pic of meade's intake what mine should look like?
4. And lastly, do i need to buy this kit in the last pic(Or one similar(Reccomend?))?

My Car(Not riced out, and never will be)
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6624/civicfront2gy.jpg

My Intake
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/1527/dsc002835io.jpg

Meade's Intake
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/meade916/honda%20rebuild/DSC05275.jpg

Intake To Buy(If Needed)
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/10060213/Images/4-cai-civicdxlx-96-00.jpg

Any Input Appreciated.

SAG3
04-26-2006, 04:24 AM
why would you change the intake to something pretty much the same?

bibby
04-26-2006, 04:28 AM
B/C i don't think mine is complete. It looks half-assed. They didn't even remove the stock air filter box. It may just be dumb to me, but why add an aftermarket intake, on top of the stock box? I may just need a tube to go from where the orange one stops, and curves down into the intake spot after i remove the box, but if i do that, im just goin to get a whole new intake b/c that orange **** is fugly anyway.

revrider1
04-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Well, the coolair intake will increase HP, but wont distress gas mileage. I would just leave that alone, even if it is fugly, unless you want to spend money.

bibby
04-26-2006, 04:37 AM
It just seems like it wont work efficiantly the way it is. Think about it. You buy a cold air intake to get rid of the factory intake, b/c the cool air tubes don't produce as much heat as a stock intake. So how could a half cold air, half stock intake be efficiant. I'm sure its better than 100% stock, but not as good as 100% cold air material either.

bibby
04-26-2006, 05:07 AM
Bump For Bedtime. :woot:

RandyJ
04-26-2006, 11:07 AM
You're just confusing the **** out of me dude.

Leave it how it is. Stock, that car should get 30+mpg, what are you getting now? And nothing is wrong with your intake, meade just has something different. You realllylyy do no tneed to go out and buy somethign that "looks" like what someone else has and hope it works out on your car, that is truly ignorant and idiotic.

rollin_clean
04-26-2006, 11:37 AM
if you want to buy a new intake either buy an AEM v2 or INJEN cold air. you have a ram air right now (which is fine) his is also a ram air, look around for cold air intake, it will relocate the filter closer to the ground in the front to get fresher air.

For the headers get the DC sports short tubes

For the exhaust go with a full catback (or either go to a muffler shop and have them put larger pipes going from your header to your exhaust.

The catalitic converter will restrict flow but most places it is required to be there, with out it you will get a little better flow.

the better the flow the better the performance and gas mileage

tRiGgEr
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Go buy a Toyota yaris:naughty:

meade916
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
i had almost the exact same setup for a while.......where i had a somewhat "made to work" intake. It went into another box like you have but i had the stock air filter removed. When i got the new one i didnt notice any difference. I think youll be fine. I did my basics (like you mentioned intake header etc) to get it to breath a little better but mainly because it looks better when you pop the hood. (to bad those pics you posted are of my motor half rebuilt, it used to look better than that before it got stripped. Its almost back to normal now though...)

tRiGgEr
04-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Sup meade:wave: have any rebuild pics of the new edition civic:naughty:

bibby
04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
You realllylyy do no tneed to go out and buy somethign that "looks" like what someone else has and hope it works out on your car, that is truly ignorant and idiotic.

1st of i get around 19mpg in the city and only 26-28mpg on the hwy, so something isn't right. as you stated, "it should get 30+ stock", well it doesnt, it bareley gets close. so i was following his rebuild, and noticed how his intake was, and got me thinking about mine, and like i siad, cold air on top of stock cant really be helping much. I've already replaced the oxygen sensor, and ran gas additives to clean it out, but it just isnt getting any better.

Thanks meade for the input. i guess i couldve found a better pic, anyway, hmm, you said it didnt really increase much. i think im gonna try a new one anyways, and see what it does, then work on the exhaust.

and i will order what i need for exhaust, and take it to a shop and have it put on, i will do that later though, right now i want to settle this intake.

Meka
04-26-2006, 03:24 PM
It also depends on how you drive it though...;)

bibby
04-26-2006, 03:31 PM
well definately not like im racing it. Drive it like i'm going to work, and coming back home. Sometimes the drive to work is a little fast if laste, other than that, slab ftw.

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 07:11 PM
F U C K! I had a nice little tutorial written down, and it wouldn't submit.

F UCK.

Problem-Solution.

Problem- Intake is a stupid hoebag ****.
Solution- Extend your intake arm with something, maybe some PVC and tuck the airfilter somewhere where it's not going to **** in hot air.

Problem- Your car is too heavy- sapping your gas mileage.
Solution- Lose some weight, install a smaller system, remove unessential parts of vehicle.

Possible problem- exhaust with excessive flow and inadequate backpressure
Solution- Switch to smaller pipe (lighter too) with a dual glasspack muffler (ricer cans) setup. It sounds awesome. Basically split the singlew stock pipe off and put dual glasspack muffs on it, sounds smooth without ricer rattle.

bibby
04-26-2006, 08:03 PM
I am going to redo the intake. lol, my trunk is empty dude. noo box, no subs, no amp, no wood, no carpet, no deadener, nothing, nothin but some wires hanging out waiting for the day.

rick22
04-26-2006, 10:04 PM
for the motor you have and the fact that you dont want performance, you just need a good tune. with the gas mileage your getting you are probably running a bit rich which is gonna kill your gas mileage. but if you wanna do the i/h/e route what you will need is a cold air intake which will get colder air flowing to your motor rater than the hot air off the motor which is happening right now. for the exhaust the best diameter for your motor is 2" so try to get a catback that is 2" all the way through and a muffler with a perforated core. as for your idea that a cat helps, it doesnt. it is restricting air. if you want you can get rid of it but it is illegal not to have one. as for the header it isnt worth the money.

LoudCrownVic
04-26-2006, 10:26 PM
for the motor you have and the fact that you dont want performance, you just need a good tune. with the gas mileage your getting you are probably running a bit rich which is gonna kill your gas mileage. but if you wanna do the i/h/e route what you will need is a cold air intake which will get colder air flowing to your motor rater than the hot air off the motor which is happening right now. for the exhaust the best diameter for your motor is 2" so try to get a catback that is 2" all the way through and a muffler with a perforated core. as for your idea that a cat helps, it doesnt. it is restricting air. if you want you can get rid of it but it is illegal not to have one. as for the header it isnt worth the money.
Yah I forgot about the exhaust. THis is good advice here, similar to mine a little more artfully put.

Also, changing your oil at the proper intervals, keeping your tires good, balanced and your alignment dead on and driving smart will keep your fuel mileage up. If you put in a system, keep it small with a lower power draw.

Driving around SLOW AS HELL is the new trend- I drive a porsche and when I'm tinkering around town and driving the couple miles back to work I keep it about 900 rpm:naughty:

oudhuis
04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
his air intake is aem yours looks like some generic intake off of ebay.

marleyskater420
04-26-2006, 10:47 PM
For gas mileage, reduce exhaust restrictions by getting a full catback system. If you do performance mods they will reduce your gas mileage because they are letting your engine breathe more, and that uses more gas.

Pretty much reduce exhaust (headers/hi-flo cat, free flowing exhaust) and leave your intake as it is.

bibby
04-26-2006, 11:13 PM
changing your oil at the proper intervals, keeping your tires good, balanced and your alignment dead on and driving smart will keep your fuel mileage up.

Heh, if you only knew me in person. im always cheking tire pressure, cheking oil, when i had an auto, checking tranny fluid, my car is perfecr at all times on tose things. i forgot to mention earlier, i had put in new plugs and oxygen sensor, and the next thing i want to do is fix the intake, then do headers and exhaustand then /end motor upgrades. and then /begin exterior upgrades.

rick22
04-26-2006, 11:34 PM
For gas mileage, reduce exhaust restrictions by getting a full catback system. If you do performance mods they will reduce your gas mileage because they are letting your engine breathe more, and that uses more gas.

Pretty much reduce exhaust (headers/hi-flo cat, free flowing exhaust) and leave your intake as it is.

wow you definently just contridicted yourself first you say free up exhaust then say dont let the engine breathe and reduce exhaust. what do you think youre doing when you add a bigger exhaust and intake. you are letting the motor breathe better which in turn gets better gas mileage not worse. if you dont know what your talking about dont post to confuse the guy.
dont leave the intake as it is get a cold intake because right now you are sucking in all the hot air from the motor. dont do a high flo catylitic converter thats been proven to be a waste unless your car is highly modded ie. turboed.

LoudCrownVic
04-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Heh, if you only knew me in person. im always cheking tire pressure, cheking oil, when i had an auto, checking tranny fluid, my car is perfecr at all times on tose things. i forgot to mention earlier, i had put in new plugs and oxygen sensor, and the next thing i want to do is fix the intake, then do headers and exhaustand then /end motor upgrades. and then /begin exterior upgrades.

You are def on track to great mileage :)

A good thing to do is surf the web and find people with cars like yours, and find a car that would be IDEAL that you want. Then outline how much it would take to get your car to be like theirs. This goes for engine mods, accessories etc.

STAY within those guidelines- and try to buy all a certian class of product your mods are balanced. As for the whole car, you are remaining low key yet upgraded intelligently, I like that style. :)

As for your exhaust, tell the exhaust guy what you want to achieve, then ask him what he thinks will be best for that application, while having done research of your own. Ask other responsible, level headed Honda owners like yourself what they have modded on their exhaust to do waht you are asking.

You will want a system to improve flow but maintain adequate backpressure to maintain stock or better torque at low RPM- a thing a small engine is already hurting for.

GL man :)

bibby
04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
When i got the car, the intake had another peice of tube that went from where the filter is now down to the ground. the person that owned it b4 me lived down a long dirt road, and there was actually mud on the filter, i knew this couldnt be good, and thought with it being that close to the ground it would be constantly dirty and whatnot, so i removed that peice, and put a new filter on it. I keep the car spotless, and rarely hit a dirt road, so do i need to relocate it back to where it was? it was still coming out of the black stock air box. so if they'd done it right, it prolly wouldnt have been like 1foot above the ground, it wouldve been about half way down right?

I am following meades build b/c i never saw the car untill it got stolen, and he had alot of the same ideas i ahd on my car, except i didnt really want bags, just nice rims sittin a little low. anyways. So im emplementing some of his ideas, and my ideas, and some if the things we shared into my car.

On the exhaust issue, ive decided like you said to just tell the man what i want, and have him do it.

Thanks for the compliment of the intelligence of the way i am upgrading, and the style. if your curious, the only thing i am doing to the exterior of the car is body kit, wheels, re-painting, removing the factory spoiler, and retinting the windows. these are the links to the body kit, and wheels. And honestly, im re-thinking the body kit to just side skirts, and a front lip. and if i do a kit, it is going to be this one, mild.

http://www.body-kits.biz/details/prodid/905.html
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Zinik&wheelModel=Z18+Minardi&wheelFinish=Black+w%2FMach+Lip

phantom240
04-27-2006, 12:56 AM
here's my 2 cents on the whole deal.

Lets explore what makes the car run before jumping into change this and that.

It starts with the intake. Your intake is ghettofied and probably does more harm than good. Get an AEM cold air intake and the bypass valve so you dont stand the chance of hydrolocking your motor if the filter gets submerged or excessively wet. Now that the car can inhale some air, it has to get fuel, fire and compression to operate. The best additive to fuel is seafoam, also run a can through the brake booster's vacuum line so it cleans the inside of the intake and other pieces.. trust me, ive used it and seen its wonder. Its good stuff. Now that the fuel system is clean and youre getting all the essentials.. wait, we skipped fire didnt we? replace your plugs, cap, wires, and rotor. If you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and install a msd blaster coil to make sure your getting clean spark. Now that the engine is running, its exhaust has to leave the motor. Headers do wonders, DC sports and HotShot are the best in the business for the price. Catco and Random make high flow cats that are legal, or you can run a resonator in its place if you dont have emissions laws. As far as leaving from the cat, i would recommend piping NO BIGGER THAN 2.5" and dont use a cannon style muffler, theyre rice and ghey. magnaflow makes good mufflers if you want a shop to do it, or buy a good catback. Im running a pacesetter on my 91 240sx, and it sounds beautiful, helps free up power, and helped mileage 1 or 2 MPG.

And remember, always keep your tires inflated and your suspension in check. That makes a world of difference

bibby
04-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Well i've done plugs, and oxygen sensor, and all my other spark plug essentials is good for this second, but i am definately fixing the intake, and then i will do exhaust, then cap wires and rotor. i knew my intake was ghettofied. You and some of the otherguys really have me cleared up on what i need to get my car up in the 30MPG range, and maybe even 40's

To everyone who has replied with an informative response i thank you.

And nothing is wrong with your intake, meade just has something different. You realllylyy do no tneed to go out and buy somethign that "looks" like what someone else has and hope it works out on your car, that is truly ignorant and idiotic.
And for n00blet, **** You.

marleyskater420
04-27-2006, 01:28 AM
wow you definently just contridicted yourself first you say free up exhaust then say dont let the engine breathe and reduce exhaust. what do you think youre doing when you add a bigger exhaust and intake. you are letting the motor breathe better which in turn gets better gas mileage not worse. if you dont know what your talking about dont post to confuse the guy.
dont leave the intake as it is get a cold intake because right now you are sucking in all the hot air from the motor. dont do a high flo catylitic converter thats been proven to be a waste unless your car is highly modded ie. turboed.

ughhhhhhh just shut up.

Any. ANY time you let in more air into the engine you burn more fuel, period, end of story, we don't need to argue this.

Realistically, getting a real CAI will bring in more air, and use more fuel. I don't think there is any way to actually get better gas mileage with just a CAI unless you get your ecu retuned. I've yet to hear of anything that lets in more air into the engine and causes more fuel to be burnt, gain gas mileage.

If you think of it, its physically impossible to claim you get better gas mileage when you use up more gas... unless they are saying that because of the slight, SLIGHT increase in power gets you just that much farther down the road....which is irrelevant because the 5hp increase you get w/ a honda isn't going to help you anymore than the extra fuel you are burning to get that 5 extra hp.

Now, I could be wrong, but I think that UNLESS you retune your ECU, you will not gain anymore gas mileage than you already have.

BUT, if you did put on these parts, and then retune your ECU to know the new parts you got, I believe you could gain more gas mileage.

meade916
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
even though you ^^^ did contradict yourself in that one post i dont think you meant to, it was just the way you worded it. I know what your saying and its true. You put all this stuff on your motor for performance not gas mileage whether its 1/2 a horse (and the box it came in says 20hp of course:D ) or if its really 20.......i have mild performance upgrades on my Tahoe and my Civic and the only thing peformance parts do is make you push the gas harder because its more responsive now and well......a little more fun to drive. If you buy all this stuff and feather the gas pedal every day then hey you might get some better mileage but whats the point - its like a no win situation :D

My advice for best mileage is to leave it stock and keep up on the maintenance like mentioned above.

If you want better performance while making the engine compartment look good.....get the other goodies. Who knows if any of this stuff actually makes the car any faster. I mean c'mon, even if that header doesnt do **** you have to admit it looks nicer than that rusty stock manifold :p:

spudracer326
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
changinfg intakes will do nothing...dont waiste your time or money

meade916
04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
changing from stock or changing from what he has? Changing from what he has to a new one probably wont do anything but look better. Like i said before, mine USED to go into a stock air box like yours and it always bugged me too - so i say take that crap off and put the one you want on! :P

LoudCrownVic
04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
When i got the car, the intake had another peice of tube that went from where the filter is now down to the ground. the person that owned it b4 me lived down a long dirt road, and there was actually mud on the filter, i knew this couldnt be good, and thought with it being that close to the ground it would be constantly dirty and whatnot, so i removed that peice, and put a new filter on it. I keep the car spotless, and rarely hit a dirt road, so do i need to relocate it back to where it was? it was still coming out of the black stock air box. so if they'd done it right, it prolly wouldnt have been like 1foot above the ground, it wouldve been about half way down right?

I am following meades build b/c i never saw the car untill it got stolen, and he had alot of the same ideas i ahd on my car, except i didnt really want bags, just nice rims sittin a little low. anyways. So im emplementing some of his ideas, and my ideas, and some if the things we shared into my car.

On the exhaust issue, ive decided like you said to just tell the man what i want, and have him do it.

Thanks for the compliment of the intelligence of the way i am upgrading, and the style. if your curious, the only thing i am doing to the exterior of the car is body kit, wheels, re-painting, removing the factory spoiler, and retinting the windows. these are the links to the body kit, and wheels. And honestly, im re-thinking the body kit to just side skirts, and a front lip. and if i do a kit, it is going to be this one, mild.

http://www.body-kits.biz/details/prodid/905.html
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Zinik&wheelModel=Z18+Minardi&wheelFinish=Black+w%2FMach+Lip

I personally dislike body kits but that's your style and it does add alot of flash to a not so flashy ride... They are expensice labor wise for a shop to put them on... They have to drill, sand primer and paint those surfaces and to do that properly takes a long time.

ANd those rims rock... My boss might buy them for his '01 Passat GLX 4motion.

QtrHorse
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Here's my question, is the stock filter still in the stock filter housing? If it's not, then that filter set up you have not is working just fine. What benefit is moving that filter about 10in further out really going to do for you? That plastic housing is going to give you cooler temps anyway (the aluminum will hold the heat from the motor and then heat the air going to the motor). What good is a cold air intake if your going to leave the filter open in the engine compartment?

bibby
04-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Like i said before, mine USED to go into a stock air box like yours and it always bugged me too - so i say take that crap off and put the one you want on! :P

This is what im going to do, i guess it does bug me more than changing it will really help. but im gonna do it, and ill let you guys that care know if it did indeed help any.

As the body kit goes. Like i said, i want a mild kit, i dont want just lips b/c they arent molded together, but i dont want an extreme body kit, all wild designs and ****, too flashy for me, im just not a flashy guy. id rather look poor with a nice ride and a pocket full of money, than look rich with a wild n out buck jeezy car and an empty pocket. and like i said, flashy just isnt me. thats why i chose this kit b/c the front bumber looks like a stock bumper w/ a lip, but its molded together, and added a few extra holes to put billet in. the side skirts are mild, i dont rally like the back bumper, i'd like the same concept on the front, on the back (stock w/ a lip, and molded together. w/ i nice glossy black paint job, and those black wheels.

Shiney, Nice, Wheels, but not overdone, and retarted, jsut tastefull.
This is a pic of a remote control car i built to exactly how i want my car to look when finished. And actually, this body kit is a little wild for my taste. Bad pic, from cam phone, but you get the iddea.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2774/civic3pv.jpg

Lurius
05-13-2006, 05:04 AM
My Intake
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/1527/dsc002835io.jpg

It looks like in the picture above the conical filter is meant to be the only filter, obviously this would be idea. This is a hard thing to say because I dont know how a stock civic intake looks, but here goes.. I think as long as the only point of entry of airflow is the conical filter, and there is no filter in the stock box, you should be fine w/ that intake. Air intakes are way over rated, they always say youll see so and so #'s but really the difference is usually minimal, though they do compliment other mods.

-Lurius

marleyskater420
05-14-2006, 02:10 AM
It looks like in the picture above the conical filter is meant to be the only filter, obviously this would be idea. This is a hard thing to say because I dont know how a stock civic intake looks, but here goes.. I think as long as the only point of entry of airflow is the conical filter, and there is no filter in the stock box, you should be fine w/ that intake. Air intakes are way over rated, they always say youll see so and so #'s but really the difference is usually minimal, though they do compliment other mods.

-Lurius

Exactly. If anything itll act like a mini-plenum.