PDA

View Full Version : Fish eye in clear?

bjfish11
04-24-2006, 11:58 PM
What could be causing our clear to fish eye, but not our basecoat? Using different guns. Clear gun is almost brand new, used it to clear one other box, and it went on fine. Throw all ideas out there, cause we cant figure it out. Tomorrow im gonna pick up another filter and put one in our booth, see if that helps.

photocrazy8
04-25-2006, 12:08 AM
fish eye = oil, grease, or dirty on the surface your painting. my dad owns a body shop. what did you use to clean the surface b4 you painted?

bjfish11
04-25-2006, 12:26 AM
we wipe it down with surface prep. But the thing is, we paint, let set for 15 mins or so, then spray the clear. And it doenst do it on the basecoat, just the clear. Thats what baffles us.

photocrazy8
04-25-2006, 12:35 AM
what do you wipe down the surface with?

BoomCrew
04-25-2006, 02:20 AM
when i spray i always let the bascoat dry, then i wet sand it, use a tack cloth on it and then i spray it with clear, always werkz for me, may not be the best method, but i am always happy with the results

revrider1
04-25-2006, 02:23 AM
fish eye = oil, grease, or dirty on the surface your painting. my dad owns a body shop. what did you use to clean the surface b4 you painted?That is usually what causes fish eye, anything on the surface or even flying around in the air, I assume you have paint booth.

photocrazy8
04-25-2006, 02:53 AM
oh yes, i get to use my dad shop when i want. thats how i painted my car show room quality for $250 :) i love the booth. downdraft FTW.

Step one: Use an air blower to blow off any dust (wipe with clean rag at the same time)

Step Two: Put item in booth or clean area and wire off with dust rag and wax and grease remover.

Step Three: Spray

jsntarrant
04-25-2006, 09:25 AM
also check the air lines...you could take the gun apart and clean it thoroughly with thinner and wipe it down with your prep all after that...usually fish eyes are in the line or the air

dkguitarist
04-25-2006, 09:33 AM
x2. take the paint gun apart and set it in a bucket of thinner for like 15 mins then pull parts out, wipe down, and reassemble. make sure all connections are good as well.

also pressure in teh booth should keep all the particles in the air from flying around and pull them down thru the vents.

check the pressure of the booth.

and always wetsand between each layer of basecoat and before clearing. use tach cloth and grease/wax remover to clean the surface.
(learned all this in my auto repair class 3-4 years ago).

blue93corsica
04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
and always wetsand between each layer of basecoat and before clearing. use tach cloth and grease/wax remover to clean the surface.
(learned all this in my auto repair class 3-4 years ago).

you dont need to wetsand between any layers unless you have to (ie. serious orange peel) i have never had any problems with laying down base coats, and if there ever is any orange peel, by the time it dries it levels itself out perfectly, now clear coat on the other hand i sometimes have a hard time spraying, put it on too light and you'll have some real bad orange peel, the clear i use needs to be applied in wet coats but just a touch too wet and you get some huge runs, im learner better on applying it and so far have had pretty good results with it but i still find it hard to lay down sometimes.

so what yopu should do is wipe the primed surface with a wax and grease remover, then tack cloth it, lay down 2-3 coats of base, flash 10-15 minutes and apply the clear right over top in about 2 wet coats, and as long as the booth is clean and your using the proper mixing instructions and reducing it properly you shouldn't have any problems, then a afterwards you can cut and buff the clear depending on how bad it is

bjfish11
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
ill give some of this stuff a try. Its been real himid out, so maybe its just moisture in the line that our filter is not getting out.

bjfish11
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
bought 2 extra inline filters/water seperators today, added them and also tried a different gun. Still was fish eyeing. Could our clear be bad? We have had it for awhile. Does that stuff just go bad, could something have gotten in it? Any ideas?

lukedogg
04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
fisheyes arent caused by dirt, those are nibs. Fisheyes are typically caused by silicone. We have had instances in the shop where someone is spraying tire shine on the side of the shop and it gets ****** into the intake of our booth and gets on the car.

bjfish11
04-26-2006, 10:55 PM
what about weed killer and bug spary? Our shop was sprayed recently and the grass around it. We tried fish eye eliminator in the clear and it didnt work either.

photocrazy8
04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Fisheyes are typically caused by silicone.

not really, its pretty much anything oil based.

photocrazy8
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
has it been one car or many?

bjfish11
04-26-2006, 11:06 PM
its boxes, and just on one, we even tried wiping it down with prep tonight before we sprayed and it still did it. How the hell can we get rid of this problem? Cause we have boxes to paint!

photocrazy8
04-28-2006, 12:57 AM
well if its just on one box and the rest are fine, then it must be something to do with that box, do anything diff to it when building?

bjfish11
04-28-2006, 08:33 AM
this is the only box we are spraying right now. Could it be that bug spray or weed killer?

iamamp3pimp
04-28-2006, 12:16 PM
try to prep and spray a blank panel to see if it is the box.

bjfish11
04-28-2006, 03:07 PM
we did that too, and it fisheyed as well.

joeldirt
04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
we did that too, and it fisheyed as well.

I would really go with a new batch of clear coat... Maybe the products are not compatible for some reason.

revrider1
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
That is very possible, a bad batch of clear. Where you painting them at, there isnt any kind of shops or anything around there that work with oil or chemicals.

theCybe
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I need a paintjob. Any of you experts in Ohio? :) /threadjack.

I think hotrodders [.com] has a complete list of painting defects and remedies.

photocrazy8
04-28-2006, 07:55 PM
yea, i would say it would be the bad batch of clear then...

lukedogg
04-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Is it only in the clear? When fish eyes are in the color, they are easy to hide. You just have to smoke in some color to fill them in. My smoking or misting on the color, the paint dries almost before it hits the substrate. I have done this on a lot of tempermental cars I have had to spray. Have you tried sanding to the base of the fisheye and respraying?

bjfish11
04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Tried it all, we tried some new clear, and it did not do it near as bad. There may have been a few small ones. No shops or factories around here, im in the country. No one has answered my question, could it have been caused from the weed killer we sprayed on our grass or the insect spray that was sprayed around the outside of the shop?

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Tried it all, we tried some new clear, and it did not do it near as bad. There may have been a few small ones. No shops or factories around here, im in the country. No one has answered my question, could it have been caused from the weed killer we sprayed on our grass or the insect spray that was sprayed around the outside of the shop?

Not likely... It could have a few possibilities... but once that stuff is down on, it isn't airborn for too long at all... It could be what you use to clean your gun with... it could be allot of different things.. But I don't think you are having any issues from your weed killer or insect killer spray arround your house... Maybe you can change your filter on the line to the gun... Your compressor may have filled it up with oil and water to the point it isnt doing a good job of filtering anymore? Not sure if that would be possible...

bjfish11
04-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, as far as the filters go, we bought 2 extra inline filters, so we now have a total of 3 on the air line. One right out of the tank, One more right before the booth, and a third right inside the booth.
As far as cleaning the gun, we use the same thing that we have used everytime. Thats what makes this so strange, we havent done anything different then we ever do, thats why it is so puzzling.

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 01:03 PM
it for sure sounds like a bad batch of clear then to me... That is as far up the trouble shooting tree I can climb... This really ***** man... Sorry I can't help. I am sure someone here may think of something else.

bjfish11
04-29-2006, 01:05 PM
thats fine, i understand its one of those things that could be a million different problems. But i thought id see if anyone might have a few ideas what we could do. But the thing is, is that we have used this same gallon of clear for awhile, and it is just now all of the sudden fish eyeing. Weird?

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 01:17 PM
thats fine, i understand its one of those things that could be a million different problems. But i thought id see if anyone might have a few ideas what we could do. But the thing is, is that we have used this same gallon of clear for awhile, and it is just now all of the sudden fish eyeing. Weird?

Suppose that there is condensation in the can of lacquer? If you are getting to the bottom of the can... the water will then be in the mix... Where as the filters won't have any effect in the seperating of the water at that point. it is directly bypassed from any filters and is gone straight through with the lacqer applied to your finish giving you that stupid fish eye..... Go get a new can.. Please try it. I really think that is what it is.

bjfish11
04-29-2006, 03:03 PM
thats a possibility. He does leave the lid off the thinner all the time......

photocrazy8
04-29-2006, 03:37 PM
thats a possibility. He does leave the lid off the thinner all the time......

does not matter, the thinner will only evaporate. go down to the paint store and get a "DeVilbiss Inline Filer at the gun, PART NUMBER: HAF-507"

Good luck, clean you gun even better, my dad thinks its your gun, he has been painting cars for 20 years. Get clean rags from a package, or lint free paper from a paint store.

joeldirt
04-29-2006, 04:36 PM
does not matter, the thinner will only evaporate. go down to the paint store and get a "DeVilbiss Inline Filer at the gun, PART NUMBER: HAF-507"

Good luck, clean you gun even better, my dad thinks its your gun, he has been painting cars for 20 years. Get clean rags from a package, or lint free paper from a paint store.

that would be worth an honest atempt... The only thing that gets me though is you said you have been using the lacqer with good results all allong... why now suddenly have this problem? Are you getting lazy with the gun clean up? I personallly doubt it.. With my experience with working with people, is they get into a routine and generally do things the same way all the time... Its how people are.. So I think if you had good results before, and are doing all of the smae things. It must be the product... We used to get water from condensation in our PD680 (which is a dry cleaning solvent to do hydraulic samples with... sometimes water spots would apear in our hydraulic samples)

bjfish11
04-30-2006, 01:05 PM
well i dont do the painting, so i can not answer to wether the gun has been getting cleaned less thoroughly, but i will bring that up to him. Also, we will just probably buy some new clear.