View Full Version : HD-DVD: It's Here, and it's Spectacular

thylantyr
04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.projectorcentral.com/hd-dvd.htm

People spent lots of money acquiring their favorite movies on tape,
then again on DVD, now you get to spend more money on the same movie
if you drool for high definition DVD's.

Imagine making one product and selling it over and over again because
there is a new methodology for delivery.

I can see George Lucas now, re-milking the Star Wars franchise by releasing
Star Wars again on high - def. :crazy:

ballstothewall
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Interesting read, the new DVD formats are a sure money maker, especially the stuff like Star Wars and LOTR, in HD-DVD.

Eugenics
04-24-2006, 07:51 PM
i wonder which format will prevail. blu-ray or hd-dvd. i can't see it being like the -/+ r wars where they just became one. regardless someones going to lose alot of money. atleast dosen't have to just write it off if they lose, because they'll always use it for the ps3 and im sure if the next console uses an optical format they'll still use some form of blu-ray

edit: i would bet on blu-ray incase anyone was wondering (which you wern't). simply because there are alot of heavyweights backing it up in comparison to the hd-dvd camp. not that nec is any wimp

ballstothewall
04-25-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm wondering if Blue-Ray is gonna go the way of sony's other creation that failed but yet was technically superior: Betamax.

ngsm13
04-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Hmmm....

adam71
04-25-2006, 03:23 AM
Its too bad they couldn't have joined forces and came out with 1 format. EVERYONE would have benefitted from it. DVD had the same problem early in its development and eventually they all agreed on one standard and you see how successful the format is. Fuckin morons are all shooting themselves in the foot and don't even know it.

Eugenics
04-25-2006, 04:00 AM
haha i dont know if i should be sorry for you or happy for you regarding your lack of knowledge of the business world

/serious

adam71
04-25-2006, 05:45 AM
haha i dont know if i should be sorry for you or happy for you regarding your lack of knowledge of the business world

/serious

Happy or sorry..........I could give a **** what you think.

:moon:

My knowledge of the business world is irrelevant. The fact is that DVD was a successful format because it was a united format. If it would have been divided it may not have made it.

Eugenics
04-25-2006, 05:50 AM

My knowledge of the business world is irrelevant. The fact is that DVD was a successful format because it was a united format. If it would have been divided it may not have made it.

thats not a fact marshmellow ****. before you jam your foot farther down your deep throat, i suggest you look up a little format called Divx

adam71
04-25-2006, 05:55 AM
thats not a fact marshmellow ****. before you jam your foot farther down your deep throat, i suggest you look up a little format called Divx

What?? Divx was the same format *******. Divx was just a different way of delivering the same format. It was a pay per view rental system that failed miserably. You buy the disc for cheap which came with a certain amount of viewing times and after that you had to pay on a monthly basis for every time you watched it after that. So before YOU open your ignorant mouth you should get YOUR facts straight.

Speaking of throats..........you're the only one who would know anything about having something deep in your throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

springy101
04-25-2006, 06:34 AM

most likely one format would have become more popular than the other and one group would make it big while the other would fail. regardless people would have still bought dvd's.

adam71
04-25-2006, 06:58 AM
most likely one format would have become more popular than the other and one group would make it big while the other would fail. regardless people would have still bought dvd's.

I think you're missing the point man. They are the SAME format. Divx was a rental system for the same DVD format.

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
The reason for this post is to awe at the better picture quality without having
to spend uber bucks on expensive hardware we see today. I went to Circuit City
and saw an LG plasma TV with $200 LG DVD player directly connected playing
Narnia. The picture quality was azz ... you see edge artifacts and all that crummy
stuff from a few feet away. I'd have to stand back 10 feet not to notice it.

I've only seen one setup at the high end store where they had a high end Marantz upconverting DVD player costing
$2k that fed an LCD TV, the picture quality was almost HD in quality, no visual gremlins. Eventually the more expensive
hardware will find it's way into $200 DVD players so you can up sample your current DVD library to watch on your
ordinary high-tech TV so all it not lost, but it's neat to see that a $500 HD-DVD player is offering an quantum leap in
video performance without having uber expensive hardware. The author claims you can even use a cheap lower resolution
projector with a high quality source like HD-DVD and see huge benefits.

I'm gonna wait 2 years before thinking about video upgrades, should be interesting going forward.

HD p0rn is next ?

joetama
04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
HD P0RN? Just go get laid lol....

The player does make a difference, and new formats are pretty exciting. But a huge cost is also factored into rolling out a new format.

thylantyr
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
HD P0RN? Just go get laid lol....

So.. getting laid solves the male species problem, the desire to look at nakkid chicks?
I don't think so. If you have no desire to check out whimen after getting laid,
then something be up ? or down {hehehehe}

joetama
04-25-2006, 07:54 PM
HD P0RN FTW, then.....

Eugenics
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
What?? Divx was the same format *******. Divx was just a different way of delivering the same format. It was a pay per view rental system that failed miserably. You buy the disc for cheap which came with a certain amount of viewing times and after that you had to pay on a monthly basis for every time you watched it after that. So before YOU open your ignorant mouth you should get YOUR facts straight.

Speaking of throats..........you're the only one who would know anything about having something deep in your throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

you stupid ****, they were competing formats, just like blu ray and hddvd, they deliver the same content, in different ways. god, i wish that ratpoison your father tried to use as contraceptive would've clogged your sisters folopian tubes so that the world would have been spared yet another pathetic waste of air and afterbirth

joetama
04-25-2006, 08:00 PM
you stupid ****, they were competing formats, just like blu ray and hddvd, they deliver the same content, in different ways. god, i wish that ratpoison your father tried to use as contraceptive would've clogged your sisters folopian tubes so that the world would have been spared yet another pathetic waste of air and afterbirth

That has to be the single meanist and funiest thing I have ever head anyone say to anyone else.....

RAT POISON FTW!!!!

desertheat
04-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I am actually betting on hd dvd. Only because most everything sony has tried to dominate or make #1 has failed... mini disk, memory stick, betamax... Bah who cares :) I love my upconverter toshiba dvd player. Rocks with the hdmi out. Will buy and try the hda1 soon though.... From the demo it was simply wicked.

noob with an RS
04-26-2006, 07:56 PM
you're gay.

Eugenics
04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I am actually betting on hd dvd. Only because most everything sony has tried to dominate or make #1 has failed... mini disk, memory stick, betamax... Bah who cares :) I love my upconverter toshiba dvd player. Rocks with the hdmi out. Will buy and try the hda1 soon though.... From the demo it was simply wicked.

just about every movie studio is behind blu ray as well though

req
04-27-2006, 12:46 AM
well its agreed.

we all hate you eugenics :)

high dev DVD for the win! regardless of the winnar - its going to be sweet. imagine a headunit that can play HD-DVD-Audio. literally, THOUSANDS of fully uncompressed wav files.

yummay.

Eugenics
04-27-2006, 12:57 AM
well its agreed.

we all hate you eugenics :)

high dev DVD for the win! regardless of the winnar - its going to be sweet. imagine a headunit that can play HD-DVD-Audio. literally, THOUSANDS of fully uncompressed wav files.

yummay.

two retards, that dont have lives, live in their parents basments, **** **** for busfare then walk home. and have no chance at a future hardly count as everyone. req, seriously, end your life. you're ****** at everything you do. thats why you can't get employed couldn't make it in HIGHSCHOOL and can't make it in any branch of the armed forces. honestly, its humiliating to the human race. quit.. please

AllStar1500bd
04-27-2006, 01:23 AM
I can't wait to watch a HD-DVD in oh... about 2 years or so probably.

adam71
04-27-2006, 11:38 AM

Sorry to burst your gay bubble but you are WRONG. They were the exact same format. They used the same laser and the exact same discs. Doesn't look to me that HD-DVD and Blu Ray are using the exact same lasers and discs or otherwise they would be compatible with each other but they're not. Divx wasn't competing against DVD, it was just an idea thought up as a way of renting the movies without having to return the disc. The quality was the same, the format was the same. It was just a different means of delivering the same format. That's like saying that renting a VHS and buying a VHS were 2 different formats too.:rolleyes:

Its pretty clear you've been proven wrong or otherwise you wouldn't resorted to such a vulgar and disgusting rebuttal. But then again, why would I put ANYTHING past you.? Anyway, just STFU and take being proven wrong like a man. :spank:

sue bee
04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
No real dates and what not. Besides, Hologram is the future. Maxell's proprietary hardware and media. Go read up youngs ones.

joetama
04-27-2006, 01:13 PM
It's retarded how people can't get along lol.....

adam71
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
It's retarded how people can't get along lol.....

Yes, it is. But when you choose NOT to get along with anyone it makes it impossible.

joetama
04-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, it is. But when you choose NOT to get along with anyone it makes it impossible.
Oh I think you are not at fault, it's people that call each other names insted of just stating the facts and moving on.....

Eugenics
04-27-2006, 02:36 PM

put your foot back in your mouth stupid ****

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/08/13/BU36940.DTL

adam71
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
put your foot back in your mouth stupid ****

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/08/13/BU36940.DTL

Wow, you really are working hard at this aren't you little man.

Arlene Baisa, 52, of Grass Valley (Nevada County), was looking for a new CD player and wound up with a Divx machine. She loves the sound, the picture clarity and the freedom from video store hassles.

This is a quote from your link. I will say that you are half right but I will also say that I am half right as well. Divx was more of an attack on the DVD rental market then it was on the DVD retail market. This was a way of killing the DVD rental competition which entailed renting regular DVDs like we do still today. They used to boast how Divx discs wouldn't have smudges and scratches on them like a DVD from the rental store would have on them when you rented them.

So when you think about it the DVD format was safe the whole time and therefore never threatened. People (like myself) that wanted to own and collect DVDs already could do so and Divx never had a chance of stopping that so in a sense was never a competing format. Unless you want to split hairs that is.

Video stores like DVD, because they can still rent movies on disc just as they do on videocassette. But store owners say Digital Video Express hurts them with its no-return appeal.

You see this is what rental stores had to say about Divx. They were going to be crushed if Divx were to catch on. I think I speak for eveyone that I'm sure as hell glad that it didn't.

adam71
04-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh I think you are not at fault, it's people that call each other names insted of just stating the facts and moving on.....

Who ever would do that??:rolleyes:

slick316
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
HD-DVD already got the jump on Blu-Ray, plus, it seems as though the hardware is cheaper ($500 for the Toshiba HD-DVD vs. $1000 or so for the Sony and Samsung Blu-Ray players). Neither are going to sell well at those prices (Most people don't have HDTV's yet and don't care much for it, plus DVD Players are cheap and DVD's look great on standard def TV's).
I think HD-DVD will definately have the lead until the PS3 is released. If the PS3 is reasonable in price, a good amount of homes will have a Blu-Ray player. Its like how PS2 helped the DVD format. People will buy the PS3 for the kids or themselves for games, realize that it plays Blu-Ray movies, and use it as a Blu-Ray player (helping Blu-Ray movie sales).
And I don't care how good they look, I'm not buying $30+ movies, and I doubt most people are. IMHO, who ever gets the under $200 players out with movies at and under $20 will win.

adam71
04-27-2006, 11:48 PM
HD-DVD already got the jump on Blu-Ray, plus, it seems as though the hardware is cheaper ($500 for the Toshiba HD-DVD vs. $1000 or so for the Sony and Samsung Blu-Ray players). Neither are going to sell well at those prices (Most people don't have HDTV's yet and don't care much for it, plus DVD Players are cheap and DVD's look great on standard def TV's).
I think HD-DVD will definately have the lead until the PS3 is released. If the PS3 is reasonable in price, a good amount of homes will have a Blu-Ray player. Its like how PS2 helped the DVD format. People will buy the PS3 for the kids or themselves for games, realize that it plays Blu-Ray movies, and use it as a Blu-Ray player (helping Blu-Ray movie sales).
And I don't care how good they look, I'm not buying $30+ movies, and I doubt most people are. IMHO, who ever gets the under $200 players out with movies at and under $20 will win.

Agreed. I'm perfectly happy with my existing DVD collection and player. I can't see jumping on any bandwagon just to have the BEST there is to offer when 2nd best (standard DVD) looks and sounds just fine to me.

But hey, when the PS3 comes out and I finally break down and buy one maybe I'll look into some Blu Ray movies.

slick316
04-27-2006, 11:54 PM
DVD's look great on my 32" LCD and while I know that HD-DVD's will look better, I just don't think it will be $500 + $25-$30 per disc better. And what great selection we have to choose from, The Last Samurai, woohoo!!
Seriously, it was a pretty weak launch as far as the movies go, I was very surprised that there were just 4 movies at launch, and people called the Xbox 360's launch games lame, there were 20 to choose from at least.
The PS3 will also be my first Blu-Ray player, so until then, no High Def movies for me.

vosschs
04-28-2006, 12:02 AM
haha how could they release 4 movies and one of them is the last samarai

esco
06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
blu-ray rocks...i saw a prototype hooked up to sony's 70" qualia and it is phenominal... i cant wait for the PS3...xbox 360s gonna drop off the face of the earth..max of 8.5gb on the 360 (no one is gonna buy that lame external hd dvd drive) for games compared 50gb for the ps3...we're gonna be doin things in games we never thought possible

thylantyr
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
blu-ray rocks...i saw a prototype hooked up to sony's 70" qualia and it is phenominal... i cant wait for the PS3...xbox 360s gonna drop off the face of the earth..max of 8.5gb on the 360 (no one is gonna buy that lame external hd dvd drive) for games compared 50gb for the ps3...we're gonna be doin things in games we never thought possible

Random thoughts.

Most hardcore gamers will eventually buy all the next gen consoles, ie
I have PS2 and Xbox because I like certain games on both. There is no
reason other than money that you can't buy both systems.

Many gamer are lured to eye candy games and many of these games are
boring to play. I can see more and more lame fluff added to games because
they have more storage.

A great game like BFMEII for the PC has 6 CDROM's, IIRC a 5 gig install.
Lets assume for a moment that someone makes a game that has a 20 gig
install, what is the issue if the game shipped with 3 discs for the Xbox360?

MSFT has to make a business decision to enter the market fast. They are caught
in a hi-def format war and obvisously they are stuck, but for now their
solution is fine. Later, they can add the latest hardware to the Xbox360 and
sell it as a new rev.

MSFT wants to kill Sony and give USA back the gaming crown the japs took
from the USA long ago :p: I like MSFT for this very reason, it's probably the only
USA company today that has the resources to attack Sony and they don't even
care if they take a loss in order to get marketshare.

Anyone really interested in movie playback will always buy a dedicated player,
not a video game console.

thylantyr
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Comedy;

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067

PS2 is still outselling Xbox360

Point is, the mass market still accepts mediocrity

adam71
06-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Comedy;

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067

PS2 is still outselling Xbox360

Point is, the mass market still accepts mediocrity

Why would that mean mediocrity?? I mean yes the PS2 is still out selling the 360 and for good reason, a few actually.

1- Tons of games available on PS2, meanwhile the 360 still has very few in comparison.

2- The 360 is just a beefed up version of the original xbox. Same DVD format, same laser, more beefed up processing. Thats it. Sony's PS3 meanwhile will be bluray which is revolutionary and truly a NEXT GEN. console. That is what people are waiting for.

3 - The main reason PS2 is outselling the 360 is the fact that the price of the PS2 has gone WAYYYYY down as of late.

bimma85
06-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Why would that mean mediocrity?? I mean yes the PS2 is still out selling the 360 and for good reason, a few actually.

1- Tons of games available on PS2, meanwhile the 360 still has very few in comparison.

2- The 360 is just a beefed up version of the original xbox. Same DVD format, same laser, more beefed up processing. Thats it. Sony's PS3 meanwhile will be bluray which is revolutionary and truly a NEXT GEN. console. That is what people are waiting for.

3 - The main reason PS2 is outselling the 360 is the fact that the price of the PS2 has gone WAYYYYY down as of late.
its gone down like $20 since 360 has been released

vosschs
06-12-2006, 11:07 PM
360 wont drop off the face of the earth, it will be strong for a while, even when ps3 is out, whats the price? 600 ouch, by then 360 willl be lowered to 300 mark my word on it,

adam71
06-12-2006, 11:07 PM
its gone down like $20 since 360 has been released

I wasn't trying to say thats why it came down though. Compare the price of PS2 to the price of a 360.

adam71
06-12-2006, 11:29 PM
HD-DVD = 1920 x 1080 (2.074 MegaPixels)

6x higher resolution FTW

Yes, but how does Bluray compare to that??

vosschs
06-12-2006, 11:29 PM
HD-DVD = 1920 x 1080 (2.074 MegaPixels)
DVD = 720 x 480 (0.346 MegaPixels)
VHS = 240 lines x 480 lines

6x higher resolution FTW
hence 1080i and 720i, im not to sure on it i know my tv has the options though...