PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass + Lungs = Lose?

bustaplz
04-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Okay, so I have been working on my first fiberglass enclosure sans mask and gloves and everyone keeps telling me I'm an idiot for it. Can it really hurt me that bad? I didn't realize the materials would add up so fast and ended up too poor for a respirator.

Ingleside
04-24-2006, 02:09 AM
ummmm.. yes.

get a respirator and some gloves when you play with glass. not some paper mask but one with filter fillaments. the fumes are really bad for your lungs and brain. also, when you sand glass make sure to wear long sleved shirts along with a respirator. that stuff itches like hell and you really, really dont want to get it in your lungs.

Expy2K
04-24-2006, 02:11 AM
Whatever, I am interested to see first hand long term brain damage results...

No Respy, votes Expy!

:)

bustaplz
04-24-2006, 04:47 AM
I am willing to take a shot of lung and brain cancer results for this fine forum. Review coming soon.

req
04-24-2006, 04:50 AM
for doing it once?

most likely not.

but you will proll hack up some nasty **** durring the course of the installation.

and you will prolly get some nasy fiberglass rash on your hands\arms\neck if you dont put some baby powder on there before you start sanding.

tanky321
04-24-2006, 07:06 AM
My father worked with fiberglass for like 20+ years, he never wore a mask, and hes still kickin. I wouldnt recomend it though.:crap:

Psyence
04-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Bah, Horse Shiz.

Ive fiberglassed lots, and a paper mask, and gloves are fine.

Too many hypocondriacs here that hear of people working in fiberglass plants for years getting health problems.

If you're fiberglassing 1 time every 2 years, you'll be fine as can be.

swimfreak26
04-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Wear a respirator, end of story.

Gloves, your choice, but unless you want to itch like hell while sanding, and get glass splinters while working, I'd wear them.

Chevyaudio
04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I always where Latex gloves, eye protection(usually some visor style sunglasses), some sort of mask...sometimes a respirator, but those things make my face hot and that uncomforatble.

Worlddre
04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
as for the respirator i vote yes better safe then sorry

and ive never worn gloves while sanding and ive never itched but that could be because im a gangsta

ilaydit
04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
as for the respirator i vote yes better safe then sorry

and ive never worn gloves while sanding and ive never itched but that could be because im a gangsta
:up2somet: ya, thats probably it. My grandpa ownes a bodyshop, and Ive been in and around it my whole life, I took autobody in vocational, and work in a shop now. I VOTE YES, to a mask, gloves are your choice. I even wear a mask and glasses (I wear contacts though) when I sand down any kind on body filler or paint.

mobeious
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
i work at a shop and we glass pretty much everyday i wear gloves just cause its a ***** to get off ur hands i dont wear any mask unless im like in a closed trunk fiberglassing i do wear eye protection when sanding with a wheel do to chunk of glass being shot in my eye in previous project and iv never itched from glass