PDA

View Full Version : HU to battery (alpine 9835)

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Since I'm running my stock speakers from the HU, it's suggested to connect the power to the HU directly to the battery. I need an amp wiring kit to do this? I've searched and found I need 10 guage, question is how do I do this? I didn't install my amp/sub myself, the most I've done is wire/install my HU matching up and connecting the color wires, think this is a lot harder than that? The alpine dealer around here seems like nice people so if I don't think I can do it(scared to cause permanant damage) I might get a quote from them for that, how much do you think that would be? I wanted to get opinions before I go and talk to them about price quotes. Thanks for any help.

(the speakers sound a lot better to me from my prev HU so what do you think the benefits would be from doing this? I was thinking 1) speakers sound even better(more power) and 2) HU won't overheat?)

iceteebone
04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
you don't need to wire the deck to the battery, however i do recommend grounding it to the battery to help prevent induced noise

Prowler573
04-23-2006, 02:17 PM
The V-Drive internal amp in some Alpine units suggests you connect power directly to the battery as allegedly it makes more power than most cars' factory wiring has sufficient gauge cabling for. I do not know whether or not this is true as I do not use Alpine's gear.

Having said that - on the back of your head unit you have two power wires. One is red and that is simply for 12v power, generally connected to a switched source so that the stereo turns on and off with the ignition. Basically it is the remote turn-on for your deck. The other power wire, which will be yellow, is the constant power connection that retains your clock, your radio station presets, keeps your EQ settings and whatnot, etc etc etc.

That cable, the yellow, carries the lion's share of the current drawn and used by the deck. Connect this yellow cable, using a 10awg cable or larger, directly to the positive terminal on your battery (using an inline fuse the same rating as what is in the back of the deck). I do not know if there are any real-world advantages to connecting it in such a fashion but that's what Alpine suggests, at any rate.

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 03:19 PM
you don't need to wire the deck to the battery, however i do recommend grounding it to the battery to help prevent induced noise
Any advantages worth wiring it to the battery? Is there a tutorial I could look at to see how to ground it? Not sure if I'm getting induced noise but I wouldn't mind doing it anyway. Does induced noise come from the HU or external amps(or both)? Not to familiar with it, after doin a search I came up with it being some type of whining noise.

That cable, the yellow, carries the lion's share of the current drawn and used by the deck. Connect this yellow cable, using a 10awg cable or larger, directly to the positive terminal on your battery (using an inline fuse the same rating as what is in the back of the deck). I do not know if there are any real-world advantages to connecting it in such a fashion but that's what Alpine suggests, at any rate.
How would I do that exactly? I'm thinkin cut the yellow (between the alpine and harness or between harness and car?) and twist/cap that with 10 guage wire and connect it to the battery(using something from an amp kit?)? Is there anyway I can mess things up?

Also if it sounds like I'm a little over my head what price range would you pay for something like this (connecting to battery and grounding)? Thanks for the help so far though

slain93gsr
04-23-2006, 04:29 PM
what kind of car is this going in to....i've never used the internal amp in my 9835. so i couldnt tell you if it sounded better with the direct connection or through the factory wiring harness..

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
what kind of car is this going in to....i've never used the internal amp in my 9835. so i couldnt tell you if it sounded better with the direct connection or through the factory wiring harness..I put it in my 98 accord already, just have the power connected through the harness so considering connecting it straight to the battery

connect it straight to the battery... just the POSITIVE, using atleast 12ga (25amp) cable...

you could connect the negative too, but you should be alright just grounding that in the cabin somewhere, although, I'm sure it wouldn't be that much harder to ground that to the battery. :)good info, I don't think you know how much of a a newbie i am with this though, I'm wondering how to connect the small wire from the alpine harness with the 10 guage wire, just twist and tape/cap it (wondering since one's fatter lol)? Or do people solder in these situations. thanks for the replies.

iceteebone
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
you don't need to wire the positive to the battery. my 9835 is doing fine on the stock harness. i just grounded it to the battery so i knew i had a good ground. noise can come from any form of processing or amp or install.

zachzchw
04-23-2006, 05:08 PM
If you have it installed already, and you dont have any problems, why worry about it?
Id leave it how it is.

Prowler573
04-23-2006, 05:10 PM
If you have it installed already, and you dont have any problems, why worry about it?
Id leave it how it is.

Yup.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," is a pretty reliable policy.

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Id leave it how it is.
Yeah thats what I was thinking too, just worried cuz I read somewhere that it might prevent overheating/damaging the HU? Also figured doing this might make the speakers sound even better, if that's the case then I'd do it to get the full use outta it. Any opinions on those two reasons?

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
that is the opposite to what you should have done...

why ground to the battery when there are DOZENS of places you could ground it behind the dash :eyebrow: :crazy: :rolleyes:
Question, if I did wire it to the battery directly, I couldnt leave the ground alone through the harness? or would I need more "ground" lol cuz I'm using bigger wire and havin it straight from the battery

Fosgate_sux
04-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I would almost guarantee that you will notice no difference wiring the head unit directly to the battery.

Savstyle
04-23-2006, 06:47 PM
If your deck isnt dimming when [playing music full blast then dont worry about it, i have the v-drive in my deck and it would cut off around 20 or so. I added 10 gauge wire from the battery dimming gone. I didnt help the sq, didnt help overheating(never got hot anyway).

So if your deck isnt dimming or shutting off, dont worry about it.:)

cam5860
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I have the alpine 9833 and I started out wiring it to the factory harness and it sounded okay. So I just decided to wire it to the battery with 10 guage wire and let me tell you there's a huge difference in the power output.

If your running your speakers off the headunit you need to wire it to the battery it makes a big difference. If your going to be using a 4 channel amp to power your speakers then it will be fine to wire it to the stock harness.

If you want to see the difference wire it to the harness first and then wire it straight to the battery. If you can't tell the difference in the power output I'll kiss your ***.

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I have the alpine 9833 and I started out wiring it to the factory harness and it sounded okay. So I just decided to wire it to the battery with 10 guage wire and let me tell you there's a huge difference in the power output.

If your running your speakers off the headunit you need to wire it to the battery it makes a big difference. If your going to be using a 4 channel amp to power your speakers then it will be fine to wire it to the stock harness.

If you want to see the difference wire it to the harness first and then wire it straight to the battery. If you can't tell the difference in the power output I'll kiss your ***.
LOL right when I was gonna say oh well i'll just leave it(no dimming probs). i would try both ways out but i don't have the tools/wiring/knowledge to do so, so right now its either get it done if it doesnt cost too much or wait til I have time to research to make sure i know exactly what im doing and do it myself

zachzchw
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
What do you mean you dont have the knowledge?
If you put the deck in by yourself, you can wire it to the battery yourself. Its just taking a wire through the dash to the battery.

Still, I wouldnt do it.
I call BS on the extra power thing.

cam5860
04-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Look at it like this if you had a small 4 channel amp putting out 26 rms x 4 would you run 16 guage power wire to it or 10 gauge power to it.

Samething here the 9833 and 9835 have the v drive amp built in it's draws a lot of current believe it or not for a headunit.

It won't hurt anything running it to the stock harness. Mine did not overheat or anything. It's just hurting your performance basically your starving it for power.

phantom240
04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
im probably going to end up doing this in my 1991 nissan 240sx.. the deck dims really bad and if im not mistaken, the factory wiring throughout the car is like either 16 or 18 gauge wire... the original system drew an incredibly small amount of power, because each speaker had an amp for it...and the stock speakers were clarion 4x6's with a nominal power rating of like 5w... bangin!:(

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
What do you mean you dont have the knowledge?
If you put the deck in by yourself, you can wire it to the battery yourself. Its just taking a wire through the dash to the battery.

Still, I wouldnt do it.
I call BS on the extra power thing.I don't have any experience with a solder(dont have one), all I did puttin in the deck is match up the colors, strip, twist, and cap..also I'm still not clear about where to connect the 10 guage to the power wire, for example:

DECK]-------{HARNESS}-------[car

where would I cut, between the deck and the harness? would I buy a small amp install kit for connecting it to the battery?

thanks for all the help so far everyone

zachzchw
04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Nope, you wouldnt need an entire amp install kit.
Go to autozone/walmart or wherever, they sell small rolls of wire in 10 gauge.

thai_creeper
04-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Nope, you wouldnt need an entire amp install kit.
Go to autozone/walmart or wherever, they sell small rolls of wire in 10 gauge.
gotcha, wut about the little part to connect to the battery? do they sell those seperate from amp kits too?

iceteebone
04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
that is the opposite to what you should have done...

why ground to the battery when there are DOZENS of places you could ground it behind the dash :eyebrow: :crazy: :rolleyes:

why should i have ran the power to the battery? it's getting plenty of "juice" through the harness. the best ground in the car is at the battery so why not ground there? why drill a hole in my fire wall, sand it down, get a bolt and tighten it down, when all i gotta do is feed the wire through where i ran my power wire. it was a 10 minute procedure. also there wasn't "DOZENS" of places behind my dash cause it was nothing but plastic behind the deck.

BodegaBay
04-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Creeper: Here is the Crutchfield archived link (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rD2FdAg9nas/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=500CDA9835#Tab) to the 9835. Read the bottom paragraphs regarding wiring instructions if you intend to use the H/U's internal amp. If you are using outboard amps and disable the 9835's internal amp, then you should be fine with the factory harness.

thai_creeper
04-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Creeper: Here is the Crutchfield archived link (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rD2FdAg9nas/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=500CDA9835#Tab) to the 9835. Read the bottom paragraphs regarding wiring instructions if you intend to use the H/U's internal amp. If you are using outboard amps and disable the 9835's internal amp, then you should be fine with the factory harness.thanks for the info, runnin the internal amp so thats why im interested in all this

why would you bother running the negative to the battery, when the best place to connect the power cable in the whole car, IS AT THE BATTERY ASWELL!!!

why didn't you use the original wiring for the ground connection? hmm?

freakin moron...that answers my question earlier whether i should leave the ground in the harness or put it elsewhere if connecting the HU straight to the battery(from your post im assuming leave the ground in the harness)

iceteebone
04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
why would you bother running the negative to the battery, when the best place to connect the power cable in the whole car, IS AT THE BATTERY ASWELL!!!

why didn't you use the original wiring for the ground connection? hmm?

freakin moron...

because there was a ground loop you asshat. also there are so many other devices grounded along with the factory harness ground. it's just as easy to ground it to the battery as the chasis. what would be the purpose of running the power to the battery? the headunit hardly draws any current so the factory power is sufficient

iceteebone
04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks for the info, runnin the internal amp so thats why im interested in all this

that answers my question earlier whether i should leave the ground in the harness or put it elsewhere if connecting the HU straight to the battery(from your post im assuming leave the ground in the harness)

don't listen to him. your better off making sure the ground is good the first time so you don't get a ground loop

BodegaBay
04-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I agree with Ice on this one. You shouldn't use the factory harness for ground, use a bare metal/chassis spot in the dash.

zachzchw
04-24-2006, 05:13 PM
the headunit, when using the internal amplifier, will draw 15 or more amps.... the stock wiring is probably good for 5 - 7.5amps, so how can you make a stupid statement like that?

clearly you don't even know what you're talking about... lol

What percentage of people do you think take the time to connect their power wire to the battery? I would bet not many people do it.

And yet, you dont hear numerous complaints of any trouble, do you?

Neither do I.

BodegaBay
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Thats not what he's saying though, so how can you agree with him!!!! he's saying to use a cable running back to the battery for ground, but use the stock positive wire!!!

Ok, ok I didn't read him correctly, dont' get bent out of shape. Sorry, I meant to say that one shouldn't use the factory harness for ground. I don't think I'd go to the extreme of routing a separate ground wire to the battery's negative post -- a short ground to the vehicle's chassis would be preferable.

The power wire can come from the factory harness (if the 9835's internal V-drive amp is NOT used) or direct 10ga. to the battery (if the 9835's internal amp IS used).

Y2K SE
05-13-2006, 01:12 AM
When I installed my Alpine 7894, I took it as a sign that a dedicated power wire from it to the battery was really a good idea when I saw that it had a 20amp fuse on the back, while the fuse on the car for the factory headunit and interior lights was a 15amp.

SlammeD_SiR
05-15-2006, 08:10 PM
soo to do this i connect the yellow wire to the batt

oh aand to answer the question where u connect it, the obvious answer is to the decks wireing harness, not the car harness

my deck sounded better than my old one, but if they are telling me i can improve that nemore, its worth a shot :) i would try it and i wouldnt goto alpine to do this, its pretty simple to do at home, just find the hole to send wire trew ur firewall if u got an amp installed for u sub u just follow that wire

ohh another question, to save the time can i use 12 gauge speakerwire or is it not the same??? i need 10 guage ??

profoundwill
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Question!! What if I I was just going to run the rearfill off the HU and use a amp for the front comps. Do you guys think I need to run the power and ground wire to the battery??