PDA

View Full Version : does tranny fluid affect engine performance?

noob with an RS
04-22-2006, 05:40 PM
hey my buddy just got a brand new Infiniti G35 and his brother-in-law said that he should change out the transmission fluid because the factory transmission fluid is thin. he said that using better transmission fluid could give up to a 5-horsepower gain. is this true??

Slo_Ride
04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
no infinty probably uses synthetic fluids. but he does need to change it in accordance to his owners manual.

noob with an RS
04-22-2006, 05:56 PM
but if infiniti didn't put synthetic in, would u say that changing it to synthetic could yield some performance gains? the thing is my friends bro-in-law is very experienced in rebuilding engines.. but he specializes in mainly toyotas and hondas.. but i wouldnt doubt him.. so assuming infiniti didn't put synthetic in, would u say that changing it to synthetic could yield some performance gains??

Slo_Ride
04-22-2006, 06:00 PM
if it did, the performance gains would be unnoticable ( like sending 550 watts instead of 500 watts to a sub) But synthetic fluids can greatly enhance the life span of an engine , transmission, and rear end. I use synthetics in everthing I own. I'll put it this way it won't hurt.

rick22
04-22-2006, 06:27 PM
first off leave the fluid thats in there in it. infinity wouldnt use a lesser quality product on their car considering they are the ones that will need to fix it if it goes bad since it will be under warrenty. secondly he wont gain any power but what he may notice is smoother shifts but tranny fluid wont gain power its basically like saying putting different kinds of oil in a car will give it more power. all the oil does is keep things running smoothly and keeping things lubricated.

noob with an RS
04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
alright, thanks guys

RandyJ
04-22-2006, 10:32 PM
first off leave the fluid thats in there in it. infinity wouldnt use a lesser quality product on their car considering they are the ones that will need to fix it if it goes bad since it will be under warrenty. secondly he wont gain any power but what he may notice is smoother shifts but tranny fluid wont gain power its basically like saying putting different kinds of oil in a car will give it more power. all the oil does is keep things running smoothly and keeping things lubricated.

Well, that can be a touchy subject.:crap:

The final factor here is, he will not notice it. Even if the gain was infact there, dt loss would probably cut it down to 3HP, and if you can notice 3hp on a commuter vehicle then, well, wow.

JL12W7INAGS300
04-23-2006, 01:42 AM
that is a sweet ride, the tranny oil is the last thing i would be worried about if i just got that car.

southstylestang
04-23-2006, 01:46 AM
that is a sweet ride, the tranny oil is the last thing i would be worried about if i just got that car.

and the transmission could be the first thing your replacing or having rebuilt. :eyebrow:

RandyJ
04-23-2006, 01:48 PM
and the transmission could be the first thing your replacing or having rebuilt. :eyebrow:
:)