PDA

View Full Version : how to replace starter!?!?

Twistid
04-22-2006, 01:39 PM
ok i went and baught a new starter, but i dont even know where the starter is in the car? someone told me to jack it up and look for it but i cant find it at all, it would be connected to the belt system right? like where the belt drives the alternator and engine and whatnot it should be connected to that by a big gear?

iv tried lookin for the chelton's manual thing but i cant find it, any help? 89 buick century? iv googled but i couldent find a how to or FAQ or anything... :crying:

Prowler573
04-22-2006, 03:20 PM
ok i went and baught a new starter, but i dont even know where the starter is in the car? someone told me to jack it up and look for it but i cant find it at all, it would be connected to the belt system right? like where the belt drives the alternator and engine and whatnot it should be connected to that by a big gear?

iv tried lookin for the chelton's manual thing but i cant find it, any help? 89 buick century? iv googled but i couldent find a how to or FAQ or anything... :crying:

The starter will be found sitting just off the back of the motor (generally) situated in such a way that the bendix (the gear that kicks out and 'starts' your car) may make contact with the flywheel (which is in between the engine and the tranny)

No, it will not be connected to any of the belts under your hood.

Twistid
04-23-2006, 10:49 AM
any other help?

imaspaceguy90
04-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Send me a pic of the starter di could prolly help

Twistid
04-23-2006, 11:31 AM
its a big metal cylender with a smaller one attached to it .. i cant find my digi cam cord right now

prochobo
04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
In my car, you follow the positive battery lead which leads to the starter. In yours, it may or may not, but that's a start(er) :P.

Twistid
04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
ok i found it, it was right infront of us the whoel time but theres tubing going across it and some bolts, and its kinda tricky gettin to it, but im headin up to pep boys now to get some car brace jack thingy's so the jack dosent go out and crush me to death lol

azbass
04-23-2006, 12:06 PM
http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/892/hammer5gm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Prowler573
04-23-2006, 12:06 PM
ok i found it, it was right infront of us the whoel time but theres tubing going across it and some bolts, and its kinda tricky gettin to it, but im headin up to pep boys now to get some car brace jack thingy's so the jack dosent go out and crush me to death lol
:handclap:
If you're going to be working underneath the car jack stands are always a good idea. :thumbsup:

Twistid
04-23-2006, 03:17 PM
ok we got it jacked up fine , but we noticed there is some sort of i guess protection bar going underneath it thats welded to the frame, then there are ac hoses going infront of it and its completly blocked from the rear, how in the world is this thing supposed to come out? the designers must have made it a joke or something , the only way i can see to pull it out is to take out the ac hoses then try to wiggle it out somehow but then putting the new unit in just wouldent work at the angle ... i think that makes sence, man im thinkin im just gonna pay a mechanic to put it in for me

heyman421
04-27-2006, 12:11 AM
... i think that makes sence, man im thinkin im just gonna pay a mechanic to put it in for me

Hehe, they usually ARE a pita on fwd cars, cause they like to cram in the transmission right under/above the a/c condensor, and all sorts of coolant plumbing.

I guess nobody remembered to mention changing a starter usually takes a foot or so of ratchet extensions, and usually a buddy to tell you when you've got the wrench on or near the bolts, since you'll def. be in ackward positions trying to reach.

There's usually 3 LOOOONG bolts on the starter, and then they just pop out pretty easy.