PDA

View Full Version : box top

soul05
04-20-2006, 11:58 PM
If im making a box, and the last piece is the top...how can i ensure that itll be sealed with the rest of the box...because i wouldnt know how to silicone inside the port...should i just lather it up with lots of wood glue or what?

dunno if theres already a topic on this because my search feature is broken for some reason.

Vincent9515
04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
You can put a line of glue near the center of the MDF and put the caulk on the inner edge all the way around. When the top is put on, it should form a seal while also being held by the glue.

joeldirt
04-21-2006, 01:03 AM
If im making a box, and the last piece is the top...how can i ensure that itll be sealed with the rest of the box...because i wouldnt know how to silicone inside the port...should i just lather it up with lots of wood glue or what?

dunno if theres already a topic on this because my search feature is broken for some reason. ?... you know another option for you is to build a lip/ flange that is attatched to the inside of the top.... (kind of like a rectangular ring) that slides into the box with the top.... kind of like a cookie jar lid going on the jar... a good lathering of glue will be more then enough... If it is a ported enclosure though it will take away from the internal volume of the box so you would have to account for that... (Not hard) and if it is in a sealed box... no problem.

in your case you can also run a dado groove that is layed out to fit perfectly over the slot port area, and a 3/4"x3/8" deep rabet joint arround the exterior rim of the top so it sets down into the enclosure super snug tite. with plenty of glue...

hofulstrof
04-21-2006, 01:10 AM
how about useing a tape measure and some screws? you shouldnt really need silicone

soul05
04-21-2006, 01:52 AM
well..i cut all the wood with a circular saw, so some arent very..straight
its my first time making a box so i guess ive got much to learn.

hofulstrof
04-21-2006, 01:54 AM
how did you attach the rest of the box togther, with glue and screws?

Decipha
04-21-2006, 02:02 AM
just glue n screw then call it a day :)

soul05
04-21-2006, 02:08 AM
i used liquid nails, screws and caulk