PDA

View Full Version : eliminating loudness of exhaust

rick22
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
i finally got around to installing my 2.5in exhaust on my lude and all i can say is **** this is sooo loud. atleast its deep but i know im going to get really tired of the noise it puts out. i guess thats what i get for having a straight through exhaust with no cat or resonator. i just was wondering if anyone knows of some ways to quiet it down without using things like a reonator or cat. like are there universal silencers and if so can someone shoot up a link. thanks alot i really appreciate it.

Lunchbocks
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
well, a resonator is probly the best bet but you dont wanna do that... i'm assuming you wouldnt want to choose a different muffler with additional baffling or noise cancelling characteristics either?

what type of muffler are you using now? outlet diameter mainly. i know i've seen silencers that can be used, if i spot something somewhere i'll let you know

FoxPro5
04-21-2006, 12:18 AM
A really loud stereo system ;) That was my solution....because I'm running 2.5" from the block straight through with no cats....but it really isn't that loud....deep, bassy more like.

I also tore out my interior and added ~100 ft^2 of sound deadening and carpet padding down to keep the stereo sounds in and the exhaust noise out. Well worth the $150 and a day's worth of labor!!

rick22
04-21-2006, 12:19 AM
the muffler is a dual tip magnaflow and the tips diameter is 3". thanks alot i really appreciate your help.

rick22
04-21-2006, 12:22 AM
A really loud stereo system That was my solution....because I'm running 2.5" from the block straight through with no cats....but it really isn't that loud....deep, bassy more like.

yeah the only problem is that now my mom is extremly pissed because i go to work early in the morning and come home late at night so shes mad that the neighbors are gonna get mad. so im not worried so much on what it sounds like on the inside but more on the outside.

FoxPro5
04-21-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah the only problem is that now my mom is extremly pissed because i go to work early in the morning and come home late at night so shes mad that the neighbors are gonna get mad. so im not worried so much on what it sounds like on the inside but more on the outside.

Looks like you will be pushing that thing down the block in the morning and coasting in at night with the engine off :D

Look at a silencer or a resonator if you don't have one.

rick22
04-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Looks like you will be pushing that thing down the block in the morning and coasting in at night with the engine off
haha thats exactly what she said

JeffyZ33
04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
If you don't like the sound/loudness IN the car.... imagine what everyone around you thinks.

bri487
04-21-2006, 04:37 PM
if you were worried about loudness, then why did you do anything to it to begin with?

rick22
04-21-2006, 04:55 PM
If you don't like the sound/loudness IN the car.... imagine what everyone around you thinks.

what are you talking about i never said anything about how it sounds on the inside. and im trying to fix it so i wont bother people.

JeffyZ33
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
"but i know im going to get really tired of the noise it puts out"

I assumed this is referring to the noise inside the car, but if you mean tired of it as in tired of other people hearing you, then I'm sorry I just comprehended wrong.

rick22
04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
if you were worried about loudness, then why did you do anything to it to begin with?
because i was running extremly rich so i needed to start freeing up some air and i have an h22a which needs a 2.5" exhaust for best results of eliminating backpressure.

bri487
04-22-2006, 03:41 AM
because i was running extremly rich so i needed to start freeing up some air and i have an h22a which needs a 2.5" exhaust for best results of eliminating backpressure.

why not just return it to stock. you cant really have the best of both worlds anyway.

rick22
04-22-2006, 05:25 PM
like i said i was running extremly rich so i needed to lean the car out also sense i swapped motors from a h23 non-vtec to an h22a vtec the exhaust i had was ment for the h23 and not for a vtec h22a. also the ideal exhaust for an h22a is a 2.5" exhaust. plus i do race and am looking to do either auto cross or stay with drag racing but in order for me to stay in a lower level i cant do much such as nitrous or forced induction. so i am stuck with only doing small mods which im trying to get the best bang out of.

concept11253
05-09-2006, 07:36 PM
You should have done research before you bought your exhaust. There is alot of information for 'ludes on exhausts and other modifications. I would have gone with an Apex'i WS2 or a Greddy SP2 or maybe even an Evo2. Those exhausts are nice and quiet at idle, but at WOT they have a nice roar. Other options are your stock muffler or a silencer, but you will lose what ever you gained if you put a silencer in.

rick22
05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
wow. i did maybe over a years worth of research for my car. first off a jdm h22a motor needs (for best results) a 2.5 inch exhaust. all teh exhausts u mentioned are no where near that. also you do not lose everything if you add a silencer that is by far a wrong statement. lastly all the exhausts you named are not quiet they are actually loud and have a horribly annoying sound to them as yet again like i said doing alot of research i found this out.

bri487
05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
wow. i did maybe over a years worth of research for my car. first off a jdm h22a motor needs (for best results) a 2.5 inch exhaust. all teh exhausts u mentioned are no where near that. also you do not lose everything if you add a silencer that is by far a wrong statement. lastly all the exhausts you named are not quiet they are actually loud and have a horribly annoying sound to them as yet again like i said doing alot of research i found this out.

if you did so much research, then why are you having issues with your setup. also, if you know about the silencers and know enough to tell us which ones are loud, wouldnt you know which ones arent?

concept11253
05-09-2006, 09:14 PM
if you did so much research, then why are you having issues with your setup. also, if you know about the silencers and know enough to tell us which ones are loud, wouldnt you know which ones arent?

Exactly what I am thinking...

Just to let you know, 2.5" is a standard size for exhaust pipes on cars... No secret there. The reason you lose most of your power with the silencer is because you just re-restricted any airflow you gained by adding your aftermarket exhaust. Also the Apex'i WS2 and Greddy SP2 are the among the quietest aftermarket exhausts that can be bought... Go look around. As for sound, that is your own opinion. I am assuming you are looking for a ricey sounding exhaust if your not looking for a bassy sound?

rick22
05-09-2006, 09:32 PM

i have no issues other than loudness i did the best possible route by gaining performance from an exhaust. i could care less about looks and sound when it comes to performance. but when all said and done and i had it i wanted an option to quiet it down on demand so when i wasnt racing it wouldnt be unberable. i dont know about silencers as in loudness but i do know about their restrictive properties.

rick22
05-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Exactly what I am thinking...

Just to let you know, 2.5" is a standard size for exhaust pipes on cars... No secret there. The reason you lose most of your power with the silencer is because you just re-restricted any airflow you gained by adding your aftermarket exhaust. Also the Apex'i WS2 and Greddy SP2 are the among the quietest aftermarket exhausts that can be bought... Go look around. As for sound, that is your own opinion. I am assuming you are looking for a ricey sounding exhaust if your not looking for a bassy sound?

first off 2.5 is not a standard size and is not a good option for lets say a b16 motor. also never said it was a secret just stating a fact because all the exhausts you mentioned are 60 and 70mm which is know where near a straight 2.5. both those exhausts are among the ricyest sounding exhaust out. both have a horrible clingy bee sound. also i have heard both in person so i think i would know. as for your statement on quietest ever hear of an rsr exhaust that would be more in the range of a quiet exhaust.

rick22
05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
wow if you knew anything about me or about my car you would know im completely against rice

concept11253
05-09-2006, 09:58 PM
first off 2.5 is not a standard size and is not a good option for lets say a b16 motor. also never said it was a secret just stating a fact because all the exhausts you mentioned are 60 and 70mm which is know where near a straight 2.5. both those exhausts are among the ricyest sounding exhaust out. both have a horrible clingy bee sound. also i have heard both in person so i think i would know. as for your statement on quietest ever hear of an rsr exhaust that would be more in the range of a quiet exhaust.

Ok I give up, there is no point to arguing with you, seeing how I don't have the problem your having... Where is that special olympics picture. I think this thread calls for one.

rick22
05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
dude whats the deal man. you came in hear bumping an old thread trying to say i dont know what im doing when in reality i know a hell of a lot more than you think. secondly your giving me these generic riced out exhausts which gives me the feeling that you dont know what youre talking about. you may be a world record holder for knowing the most about cars but from the things your saying it doesnt look that way. and if you knew what my needs were in an exhaust you would know that none of those could work.

Astyl
05-09-2006, 11:08 PM
it figures this guy would drive a honda, he was bashing me in my other thread about me wanting a loud exhaust, and he drives a honda with a ricer exhaust? jesus

how bigs your 4 banger? 1.6 - 1.8 - 2.0? atleast i got a 3.8 on my side

rick22
05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
i wasnt bashing you at all i was just stating the obvious that no one needs an obnoxiously loud exhaust then i was explaining to you how to get it louder since that was your mind set. also in this situation u would be considered a ricer considering you trying to get a horribly loud exhaust while im trying to quiet it down while maintaing performance also the fact that everyone in your thread was against you reinsates that.

rick22
05-09-2006, 11:20 PM
oh and its a 2.2 but that alone has no relevence considering that there are many other variables to consider.

Astyl
05-09-2006, 11:24 PM
my car comes stock with 2.25 inch exhaust, many people on my dedicated car forum have upgraded to 2.5 inch piping and found gains in power, its actually needed for mine... why the hell would a N/A 2.2 liter need 2.5 inches

rick22
05-09-2006, 11:27 PM
if you really do care ill explain it to you but if your just trying to be cocky then forget about it

atoz350
05-10-2006, 01:23 AM
First of all, your 2.2 liter does not need 2.5" piping. A 2.25" pipe would work even better and give you a good low end response. Are you racing on a circle track or is this a daily driver? I'm assuming its a daily driver that you are making the mistake of turning into a racer. Please don't do that...you'll end up hating the car in the end. Also, resonators are straight-through just like your muffler is. Add one to quiet your exhaust without sacrificing power. Look for one without louvered baffles to get the best performance. If its performance you are after, you need to tackle the exhaust a bit more upstream than piping and a muffler. By the time it reaches your muffler, exhaust gas is too cold anyway to make a difference. Get some headers and switch back to your stock muffler. You'll like the output and sound much better.

bri487
05-10-2006, 02:14 AM
to keep exhaust from getting loud, don't rice out your car :D

to keep from being gay dont rice out your car.

rick22
05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
First of all, your 2.2 liter does not need 2.5" piping. A 2.25" pipe would work even better and give you a good low end response. Are you racing on a circle track or is this a daily driver? I'm assuming its a daily driver that you are making the mistake of turning into a racer. Please don't do that...you'll end up hating the car in the end. Also, resonators are straight-through just like your muffler is. Add one to quiet your exhaust without sacrificing power. Look for one without louvered baffles to get the best performance. If its performance you are after, you need to tackle the exhaust a bit more upstream than piping and a muffler. By the time it reaches your muffler, exhaust gas is too cold anyway to make a difference. Get some headers and switch back to your stock muffler. You'll like the output and sound much better.
yea in most cases a you are right about a 2.2 only needing 2.25 but because of the other variables of the motor the 2.5 is the best solution which is what many performance books and online research has said. as for racing im not getting into it heavily i am doing more for just weekend events. also i did end up going with the resonator a while ago and am happy with the outcome. i was just hesitant on doing it because of all the work i had just done on the fiting of the pipes for my exhaust as it wasnt just a bolt on i had to make it fit. and as for the header it is already basically the best i can have unless im looking at spending close to a grand for something like a rmf.

heyman421
05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
If you're looking to quiet your engine noise without losing any power, and while getting more airflow into your engine, I think garret or Turbonetics make mufflers that are right up your alley :)

Astyl
05-12-2006, 12:11 AM
yea in most cases a you are right about a 2.2 only needing 2.25 but because of the other variables of the motor the 2.5 is the best solution

What other variables. It is a N/A 2.2 Liter, i dont care if its Vtec or not, displacement is displacement.. 2.2 liters does not need that large of a exhaust, i know corvettes that come with 2.5 inch exhaust and theyre V8s with three / four times the displacement

rick22
05-12-2006, 08:52 PM
who said anything about vtec. you really no nothing about cars so for tonights homework i want you to google and learn more about cars and if you dont want to do that at least search about the motor i have so you know alittle more about it sense whatever i say you dont believe.

bikejunkie223
05-12-2006, 10:29 PM
You should have done some more research and bought a more quiet exhaust like the Apexi World Sport2 I knew when I did my catback that I didn't want it loud so that automatically eliminated 3 of my pre-research favorites (Spoon, HKS Hi-power, Apexi N1) I think you should sell your exhaust and buy one that more accurately meets your needs

rick22
05-12-2006, 10:34 PM
wow thanks but again i fixed the problem. secondly i am going for performance and need the most i can get while being in a low class. so i was just mainly seeing if there were any universal silencers out there to use while not racing but it was more important to have the exhaust the way it is. the sound was just a side thing that i would have like to get down. and again i did research for performance not for sound that was just something that i would have to deal with to get what i wanted out of the system.

gansan
05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
add more resonators...

rick22
05-12-2006, 10:44 PM
i know thats what i did i added a perforated core 18 inch resonator and that toned it down perfectly. i was just hesitent on putting one on after all the pipe work i just did to the car. but am now pleased and havent lost any power if any its not substantial.

bikejunkie223
05-12-2006, 10:48 PM
cool beans bro

Storm90
05-13-2006, 02:45 AM
my car comes stock with 2.25 inch exhaust, many people on my dedicated car forum have upgraded to 2.5 inch piping and found gains in power, its actually needed for mine... why the hell would a N/A 2.2 liter need 2.5 inches

I have the same engine as you and i've done that. You get a lil gain but not much at all its more for sound. And its not needed for our cars. Oh and btw which forum you post on? I go to clubgp.com.