PDA

View Full Version : Car vibration question?

GRANDV
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
When driving at speeds of 65mph, my vehicle starts to vibrate. The steering wheel shakes like crazy. I had new brakes & rotors installed this month. So, I am trying to find out what could be causing this. Are there any other things I should be looking for to this problem? Thanks for any and all replies.

pcolasfinest
04-20-2006, 12:57 PM
could be out of alignement, or you could have a wheel out of balance, have those checked

deadboi77
04-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Could be a few things..might want to take it to a shop n get it checked out.

Puppet Master
04-20-2006, 09:42 PM
my mom's buick did the same thing. She had a belt broken in her wheel. I didn't even know there were belts in wheels.

oudhuis
04-20-2006, 09:44 PM
its gotta be because they arent balanced. my sis car did that. while she was going down the road when i drove next to her the wheel was shaking like a motha trucker. she took it in got it balanced. and it was good to go.:crazy:

deadboi77
04-20-2006, 09:48 PM
my mom's buick did the same thing. She had a belt broken in her wheel. I didn't even know there were belts in wheels.
Thats a damm good possibilty aswell

Lunchbocks
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
could be anything from uneven tire pressure causing uneven wear (which would then cause unsteadiness), mismatched tires, loose inner or outer tie rod ends, tires out of balance or out of round wheels, could have a wobbly rack and pinion.

gonna need to have that checked out

JeffyZ33
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
My best guess would be to say a wheel/tire is out of balance. Balancing is cheap and if you havent had your tires rotated in a while it would be a good idea to get it done while the wheels are off of the car.

And a earlier post, I believe you mean there is a belt in the TIRE broken, not the wheel.

photocrazy8
04-21-2006, 03:18 PM
get a full alignmet done

JeffyZ33
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I'd try getting your tires balanced first, as it'll be much cheaper than a full alignment and is most likely the problem. Make sure before you take the car in you wash off any dirt/mud/muck buildup on the tires and wheels so you don't balance the mud on them... because when it falls off you will have a horribly inbalanced wheel.

I can lift a vehicle, balance all 4 tires, rotate them, and put them back on a vehicle torqued to specs in 10-15 minutes. A full alignment takes A LOT longer. Longer = more money.

bri487
04-21-2006, 03:33 PM
balance yo ****.

kickerlivinloud
05-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Check for build-up on your wheels. I had the problem earlyer this year, took it off, and cleaned it out, worlds of difference. They may be balance but the buildup throws it off, easy, and cheap problem to fix...

Jon

Safe-N-Sound215
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
my car had the same problem when at highway speeds. It was the worst when braking from highway speeds. It was still under warranty so they tried everything for me and tried to balance the tires 3 times with no luck. it wound up being the tires themselves. got four new ones and i haven't had a problem since

:patrioti:

bri487
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
my car had the same problem when at highway speeds. It was the worst when braking from highway speeds. It was still under warranty so they tried everything for me and tried to balance the tires 3 times with no luck. it wound up being the tires themselves. got four new ones and i haven't had a problem since

:patrioti:

some tires you just cant balance. they are bad to the point where nothing helps, especially when you get into bigger tires, like 33"+. i just gave up on mine (35"). they have a little wobble but not too bad, you wont ever get them perfect anyway.

theCybe
05-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Mine does too, but it's the tierods. There was a recall on the next model year, which is the exact same parts, but none for my year. I had them checked, and yep - need to be fixed.

Problem is audi bars aren't as cheap as honda ones. :)

fakename
05-01-2006, 08:22 PM
my steering wheel shook like crazy going 50+..found out i had a loose tire about to come off.

bri487
05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
my steering wheel shook like crazy going 50+..found out i had a loose tire about to come off.

i lost a tire in a shifter kart once, way scarier than in a car.

86yota
05-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Couldnt it also be a bad strut..

hofulstrof
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Check for build-up on your wheels. I had the problem earlyer this year, took it off, and cleaned it out, worlds of difference. They may be balance but the buildup throws it off, easy, and cheap problem to fix...

Jon
x2. i have this problem all the time because i drive on gravel roads. my car is a fwd and its only the back wheels that get build up in them.

get_r_done_fire
05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
If you look at the tire tread on that tire and it has like a curve in the tread it broke a belt but if not then it needs an alignment.:)

rdzm50
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
time to get your wheels balanced...