PDA

View Full Version : i feel very very bad fior my friend right now

springy101
04-19-2006, 09:24 PM
a friend of mine just fell for the theater research tr1400 speaker scam. he called me up hella excited tellin me he bought 2,000 dollar speakers for 140 bucks. he said some guys waved him down and asked him if he wanted to buy some extra speakers they had that had been overstocked. i am talking to him over msn messenger right now and just broke the news to him. at first he didnt beleive me and thought i was jealous, but now he has realized he got scammed. i hope lots of people read this and dont fall for what he did. i typed this in google and the whole first page was threads in different forums about people who got scammed. the lesson of today i guess is dont buy speakers out of the back of some guys van.

Savstyle
04-19-2006, 09:27 PM
poor guy that really does ****.

heyman421
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Two guys asked me if i wanted to buy a couple speakers a few months back in a mcdonalds parking lot.

I just walked away, i figured they were stolen.

What's the deal? Never heard of this one.

ilaydit
04-19-2006, 09:37 PM
same thing happened to a guy I used to work with, except there was only 1 speaker tower in his, not two. (heyman421) Its people who travel around telling people they have some extra speakers that are worth a whole lot, and they sell em really cheap. And they just turn out to be some cheap cheap speakers

heyman421
04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=131449 54

I love how they made a website just to post high prices to make them seem real.

It's actually clever, aren't there laws against that somehow?

nVRuckus
04-19-2006, 09:48 PM
a friend of mine just fell for the theater research tr1400 speaker scam. he called me up hella excited tellin me he bought 2,000 dollar speakers for 140 bucks. he said some guys waved him down and asked him if he wanted to buy some extra speakers they had that had been overstocked. i am talking to him over msn messenger right now and just broke the news to him. at first he didnt beleive me and thought i was jealous, but now he has realized he got scammed. i hope lots of people read this and dont fall for what he did. i typed this in google and the whole first page was threads in different forums about people who got scammed. the lesson of today i guess is dont buy speakers out of the back of some guys van.
Oldest scam in the book. in the early 90s it was Cerwin Vega home speakers ;)

TheNoodPoopler
04-19-2006, 11:47 PM
lol 2 guys in a van came up to me couple weeks ago, saying that exact same thing, exept they were askin for $500 lol. My buddy fell for it and bought them, i laughed my *** off at him when he told me. he was hella excited too!!! thats halarious lol. dumb asses

dkguitarist
04-20-2006, 10:21 AM
a year ago, some kids pull up in a van next to me, asking me if i wanted to buy some subs. i was like "wtf?" said he just bought 4 and he needed to sell them bad. (at that time i had my 2 12L7s). i told him i didn't have any money and drove off. i was with my friend and my almost gf.

netherland24
04-20-2006, 10:25 AM

unless they say alpine, infinity, JL, Clarion, kicker, on them . :)

AVSTANG02
04-20-2006, 10:39 AM
So what do the speakers he bought for $140 sound like?

XtrmAudioCncpts
04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
i have bought some nice and very expensive stuff from the back of a van. but i ask to see what they are selling first. its usually all stolen but if it works its cheap and bnib

springy101
04-20-2006, 06:00 PM
So what do the speakers he bought for $140 sound like?
i dont know i havent heard em yet

zachzchw
04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Look at their car speakers.....

NJack2AF
04-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Look at their car speakers.....

LOL ya I just did... they look H-CORE MAN!

thylantyr
04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Add and equalizer and you can polish the sound of cheap speakers.
If you want a challenge, re-engineer the crossover too.

re: white van speakers.
http://www.gr-research.com/dahlton.htm

Prowler573
04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
speakers are worth what people pay for them... That's actually right on target. and about bloody time too...

people pay STUPID amounts for little paper cone woofers, in tiny boxes, called BOSE speakers And more fool them, I say. My parents just bought one of those freggin Wave radios and all I could do was weep after Mom told me she paid $500USD for it. :crap:
It sounds....decent. It does sound considerably better with deeper and cleaner bass than it has any right to knowing it uses 3.5" drivers. But it durn sure didn't sound $500 worth. :crazy:

and noone has a ***** about that? lol Ooohhh yes we do. Quite a few of us.

HincklNutt
04-21-2006, 01:48 AM
that **** happened to my good freind mike last summer, he called me up all pumped up about his new purchase... 3000watts! 5.1! 1000watt sub for only 300...... right of the bat i knew something was wrong... he hooked it up, and only the front left/center channel works, the sub is the saddest thing ive ever seen. its barely audible...

Decipha
04-21-2006, 02:22 AM
a few years ago i bought 2 rf hx2 12's and a bd1500 for $100 out of the back of a minivan...

joetama
04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
**** that site looks good though lol..... It's usually a good rule of thumb that if the deal is TOOOO GOOOD TOOO BEEE TRUEEEE then it prolly isn't true....

ALWAYS, demo speakers before you buy them. Or get them from a place that you can trust.

And try to buy stuff from repitable local businesses. Then there is a window to throw a brick through when the **** doesn't work.....

AVSTANG02
04-21-2006, 04:33 PM
That's actually right on target. and about bloody time too...

And more fool them, I say. My parents just bought one of those freggin Wave radios and all I could do was weep after Mom told me she paid $500USD for it. :crap:
It sounds....decent. It does sound considerably better with deeper and cleaner bass than it has any right to knowing it uses 3.5" drivers. But it durn sure didn't sound $500 worth. :crazy:
Ooohhh yes we do. Quite a few of us.

You kno how that **** works? it's ****** *** bose speakers basically enclosed in a vented box..

At a local store they have a demo stand thing.. It has the same speakers without the vent/port tube whatever and they sound like ASSssss then they have the same speakers with the plastic port/tube/vent thinggy and they sound 10x better..

20cents in materials 20cents in engineering / per each unit sold = $400 price increase to retail market.

noob with an RS
04-21-2006, 04:33 PM
the same type of ppl have tried to sell me some speakers. my mom has bought a set. theyre called digital audio. came with a center channel four satellites and two 8" mids in a box which is i guess another center channel... all for 200 dollar.. but anyway i think itwas worth the two hundred dollars. sounds cool to me.. not audiophilic quality which you would expect from 2000 dollar-speakers (and theyre not really 2000 dollar speakers) but i think they sound like 200 dollars.. i use a pair of satellites and the two 8's for my computer... they sound nice. :)

mtdewelf
04-21-2006, 04:36 PM
gotta say i fell for the speaker outta the truck scam, only paid 100 bucks for a pair of towers with a 10" in each. only ever had one hooked up and i'd of prolly paid that much for just the single tower. pretty sure it was these same things.

joetama
04-21-2006, 05:16 PM
You kno how that **** works? it's ****** *** bose speakers basically enclosed in a vented box..

At a local store they have a demo stand thing.. It has the same speakers without the vent/port tube whatever and they sound like ASSssss then they have the same speakers with the plastic port/tube/vent thinggy and they sound 10x better..

20cents in materials 20cents in engineering / per each unit sold = $400 price increase to retail market.

Advanced wave technology my anus.... I got advanced wave technology that comes out of my ***, it's called a fart.....

IamDeMan
04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Advanced wave technology my anus.... I got advanced wave technology that comes out of my ***, it's called a fart.....
And that **** DROPS!

ramos
04-24-2006, 05:19 PM
actualyl, the wave guide radio is a compact transmisison line :)

It does look that way :)