PDA

View Full Version : Changing internal "volume" of an already made enclosure.

kingsxman
04-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm just curious if its possible at all to change the internal volume of an already made sub enclosure. I've already posted on my issue (see the "I think they screwed up my custom made enclosure" thread). Its been established that the enclosure made by the install shop is too big for my subs. Is there anyway to lower the internal volume of the box without completely disassembling it?

Someone suggested acoustic foam might work. Possible?

dkguitarist
04-19-2006, 11:44 AM
polyfill.

khail19
04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
polyfill.

Polyfill will effectively increase the enclosure size, not decrease it. All you need to do is fill in the space with something solid and non-porous. I'd just cut a few 2x4 blocks and glue them inside the enclosure to take up the space.

Chevyaudio
04-19-2006, 11:48 AM
polyfill.

indeed to much polyfill will decrease the affective size of the enclosure, but If you just add a pound or a pound and a half of polyfill, it can actually make the enclosure act larger than it is. But you could also add a few 2x4 strips into the inside of the enclosure to decrease volume.

Dammnit, you beat me.

dkguitarist
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
indeed to much polyfill will decrease the affective size of the enclosure, but If you just add a pound or a pound and a half of polyfill, it can actually make the enclosure act larger than it is. But you could also add a few 2x4 strips into the inside of the enclosure to decrease volume.

Dammnit, you beat me.
my bad. i thought he was wanting to increase the size.

to decrease it, just add some bracing.

my tiredness and lack of sleep is catching up to me quickly now.

tRiGgEr
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm just curious if its possible at all to change the internal volume of an already made sub enclosure. I've already posted on my issue (see the "I think they screwed up my custom made enclosure" thread). Its been established that the enclosure made by the install shop is too big for my subs. Is there anyway to lower the internal volume of the box without completely disassembling it?

Someone suggested acoustic foam might work. Possible?

Anything solid. Have any MDF laying around? Just calculate the volume needed to displace and add enough wood in there. Screw it down the the far back corner of the box.