PDA

View Full Version : port rounding

soul05
04-19-2006, 01:28 AM
i was wondering what the point of rounding the edges for ports are...
thank you.

Vincent9515
04-19-2006, 01:51 AM
When a speaker plays a frequency near tuning, the air in the port resonates. The air moves out of the port which compresses the air outside the box. The air is then pulled back into the box since the air in the box now is at a lower pressure.

To allow for this optimal air movement, the port ends should be flared to prevent turbulence which causes cancellation, unwanted noise, and output loss.

joetama
04-19-2006, 01:59 AM
When a speaker plays a frequency near tuning, the air in the port resonates. The air moves out of the port which compresses the air outside the box. The air is then pulled back into the box since the air in the box now is at a lower pressure.

To allow for this optimal air movement, the port ends should be flared to prevent turbulence which causes cancellation, unwanted noise, and output loss.

I was going to give a smart *** answer like "cause it looks perdtyyy"......

Vincent9515
04-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Well...it does look pretty.

soul05
04-19-2006, 02:46 AM
what if i round the ports and not 45 the angles. ive seen some pictures where members round and 45, but 45ing would be rather difficult for me since i only have a circular saw.

so even if i dont 45 the corners...just rounding the ports will help?

Vincent9515
04-19-2006, 03:53 AM
Yes it will still help.

Most circular saws should have an angle setting. Set it to 45 and cut off an edge. Just clamp down a straight board by the saw's edge so it slides against that. This will help keep it straight since they're kind of hard to hold straight when it's at an angle.

If you don't want to, it's not a big deal.