PDA

View Full Version : what's the range?

danteBirosel
04-19-2006, 12:27 AM
what's the accurate range on the viper 791xv?

i was googling around and came upon this message in:

http://www.nextag.com/viper-791xv/search-html

Great product with minor drawbacks
Review From: Andrew Nowak, 04/12/2006
Got this installed 2 weeks ago. Did a lot of research and found this to be my top choice. The range may be 1/4 mile for outdoors in the open, but when you're indoors with concrete walls, it's not even close to 1/4 mile or even a 1/32 mile. I'm a little disappointed in that. What's the point in having a remote that tells you when your car alarm is goin off when you can't even recieve the message?? I would have got the Compustar if I had to do it over again. 1.5 miles I think it said is the range. That'd be nice. Anyway, I also got 2 sirens installed (which I highly recommend cuz they kill your ears), a508D proximity sensor (works well w/ my convertible), and the time/tempautomatic remote start. Don't get me wrong though, it is a really nice feature to tell you when someone trips off your alarm and when you remote start your car. With my old system you just had to guess if your car had started or visually see it. Now I just see on my remote. And the beeping woke me up a few times to tell me the warning went off. I didn't bother getting up though. The one bad thing about this is that if the warm away siren goes off (just some beeps), then they set off the FULL alarm, it won't even tell you. So if I see the warn signal in the middle of the night, it will wake me up after beeping a few times, then I lean over and clear it. In that time, the theif could have smashed my window and already took my stuff w/o any further alarm notice. I've read this problem from other reviews, and now I realize how bad it really is. I still give this alarm a good rating b/c it does work well for its purpose, just not as highly as I expected it to (maybe I expected too much?)

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-19-2006, 12:31 AM
1/4 mile depends on the signal.... @ my school there are areas that are within the 1/4 mile but there is alot of interference... It's similar to cellphones, some places you just dont get signal thats all.