PDA

View Full Version : Port direction?

mikeyboc
04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I am going to build a 5 cu box at 32 hz for 2 re sx 12's, and noticed that in the posted box plans, all the ports are on one side of the box and in the same direction as the subs fire. The box is going in a Tahoe, and I was wondering if there would be a better design or if it did not make that much of a difference. I think it would look better to have the slot port in between the two subs, but did not know what impact (if any?) this would have. Might it be better to have the ports oriented in a different direction?

jujumantb
04-18-2006, 10:58 PM
the actual location of the port on the same plane as the subs doesnt matter, many people put it in the middle. You should try to keep the port on the same plane as the subs though, it minimizes cancellation, though isnt absolutely necessary

mikeyboc
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM
I was actually hoping to have the port along the bottom of the box and the subs mounted above it, all pointed in the same direction. I don't know how this is gonig to work out, if at all.

Vincent9515
04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Why wouldn't it work? It would just run along the bottom and bend upwards once it reaches the back. Just imagine standing one of Moe Lester's boxes on the side.

The only issue I see is keeping the 1:8 port ratio. It would look best spanning across the entire bottom, but that's going to require a lot of port area.

mikeyboc
04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
That is just what I would like to do, but do not even know where to begin. Is there anyone who can help design the box. Like I said, it is for 2 re sx12's in about 5 cu tuned to 30-32 hz (unless someone has a better recomendation).

Vincent9515
04-19-2006, 01:19 AM
I don't have anything to draw it out with. To run it along the entire bottom, plan on giving up a lot of airspace to tune it that low.

If it's 24" wide, it will need to be 3" tall to stay below the 1:8 ratio. That's 72"^2 of port. It will need to be over 30" long to be tuned where you want it. That's like 1.5 cubes.

Maybe run it vertically down the center with separate chambers.

mikeyboc
04-19-2006, 01:06 PM
The length is not a problem, it is going in the back of a Tahoe (about 49" wide), I didn't know if it would effect performance. I think it might look cleaner like that, but did not want to sacrafice anything because it is not extremely important to have it that way. Worse come to worse, I can put the port between the two subs, but would prefer it along the top or bottom. If anyone can help with the design, please let me know!

3onDubs
04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
James Bang just built me a box...check the thread. It's a gangster box, but it didn't fit in my trunk....:wallbash:

It's 5 cubes, dual chamber (2.5 each) with aeroports, tuned to 32 hz. I believe this is what you want...no?

Spooby
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
I was actually hoping to have the port along the bottom of the box and the subs mounted above it, all pointed in the same direction. I don't know how this is gonig to work out, if at all.

Kinda like this one Moe Lester built recently?

http://www.nisaznmonk.com/images/Garth's%20Magnum/magnum2.JPG