PDA

View Full Version : who has experience with port area?

nissanrider06
04-17-2006, 01:51 AM
has anyone tested multiple port areas on one box and to see the differance in spl it made? i was wondering cause one one guys results he didnt notice a differance reallin in 20 in of port to 40 inches of port for a pair of 12's

joeldirt
04-17-2006, 01:59 AM
has anyone tested multiple port areas on one box and to see the differance in spl it made? i was wondering cause one one guys results he didnt notice a differance reallin in 20 in of port to 40 inches of port for a pair of 12's

I haven't tried different port dimensions from the same box... however I have tried changing the internal dimensions of the box volume to give it a different tuning freq... By making a panel that can be mounted inside the box deeper and deeper to take away from the box volume or pull it bwack out and re mount it to give it more. I typically use four inch round ports. It's easy and I think round ports are more apealing then slot.

nissanrider06
04-17-2006, 02:03 AM
and what have u found? thats kinda what im about to test within the weeks, i have a 3.9 cube box with 25 inches of port and a 3.6 cube box with 43 inches of prt

joeldirt
04-17-2006, 02:08 AM
and what have u found? thats kinda what im about to test within the weeks, i have a 3.9 cube box with 25 inches of port and a 3.6 cube box with 43 inches of prt

To be honest... It only depends on what floats your boat. I never had an SPL meter... I never really shot for high numbers any how. I like to have some sound quality with my music so I experimented just to see what sounded best... I would only suggest that experiment to really give you the best idea of what you like the best with a paticular set up... Then build the real box to those exact specs that you found worked best. Good luck with that.

swimfreak26
04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Port area will make a difference in port velocity, which makes a difference in port noise. As you move a larger volume of air you need more room for it to move, to put it in as simple of terms as possible.

As a general rule of thumb, you want ~12-15 square inches of port area for each cubic foot.