PDA

View Full Version : New Kenwoods? How good are they?

93 saturn sl2
04-17-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm now considering getting this HU. I think that it looks like a pretty nice stereo. What do you guys think of the one that i'm looking at? I like it mostly because it has a USB port, so now I wont have to get a MP3 player and I can just use my thumbstick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KDC-X890-eXcelon-CD-MP3-USB-Receiver-06-NEW_W0QQitemZ9712941307QQcategoryZ39751QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Prowler573
04-17-2006, 12:47 AM
I do not know if anyone here has any experience with that particular model yet. The previous model year's equivalent, the KDC-X889, has garnered high praise from those that use(d) it. I am assuming, though I do not know for certain, that the 890 is basically the same unit with two major differences:
1) Allegedly better Digital-To-Analog converters. The KDC-X890 and the KDC-X990, both this year's models, use Wolfson DACs in place of the Burr-Brown DACs used in the higher-end Kenwood offerings in previous years. I haven't read up in detail on the Wolfson units but I will assume they are better if they are replacing a known quality circuit in the Burr-Brown converters.
2) The USB interface. This is a new feature altogether for Kenwood but in this ever-changing digital world in which we now live, it simply makes sense. Having the thumb drive as you previously stated should make this interface highly useful.

All in all over the last few years Kenwood has really gotten their act together following more than their fair share of persistent quality control issues and the eXcelon line-up illustrates that well. I run a 25th Anniversary XXV-01D and have been very impressed by it. The X890 ought to serve you well. :thumbsup:

MBrock4u
04-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah I agree. Those excelon units are very nice. I love mine. Unfortunantly I haven't listened to any of the newest line from Kenwood. Unless I hear with mine own ears the newest ones should be a winner. The 24 burr brown dac is so clean it would seem to hard to improve a great deal, but you never know until you give it a listen.

supra06
04-17-2006, 08:23 AM
well see on the X890 u dont really have alot of bass controls, from what i hear. i have the x790 and its the best HU i have owned so-far.