PDA

View Full Version : got my 9835!!! YEEEEEE!!

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I gotta GREAT deal on an alpine 9835, so far its NIICE. the only thing so far is the sub, at first I could barely hear it at all(I thought it wasnt workin at all but then found it some noise was commin from my L5 and noticed the amp turned on) so I searched this forum about that and saw other people had trouble. well i didnt really see a direct answer to the problem but i tried messin with the equalizer and i put the bass all the way up and everything all the way down and im pretty sure im hearing what i heard from my old premier 470mp so i think that clears up that problem. anyways..:D

Black_Jesus
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
put the sub output to 15, when its on 0 its pretty much -15 and when its on 15 its at 0

weird way alpine did it. put it on 15, turn off that **** bass boost :)

Ricky616
04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
put the sub output to 15, when its on 0 its pretty much -15 and when its on 15 its at 0

x2 on the bass boost :D

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 10:15 PM

yea its on 15, wen u say bass boost u mean on the amp? if yeah then thats off. im guessing i had to turn the volume higher. sub really starts hittin around volume 20, i don't go more than a few past that(wats the max btw?). i think before when i have the equalizer at flat i couldnt turn it up that high to hear the subs cuz the reg speakers wuld be too loud for me..also i think boostin the bass on the equalizer made it louder too? another question, wen i customize the equlizer it ends up lookin like a line with a lotta humps haha does the deck sorta curve/smoothe it out? i never seen an equlizer that looks like that. if no one knows wat im talkin about then nevermind haha just wish the manual had pics of the screen at diff times/settings

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
also I was gonna say my guess about me puttin everything low on the equalizer and it sounding like i had it on the pioneer(had the lows at +6, mid at +5 and high at +6) is because the alpine gives more power to the speakers so im not used to them bein that loud? any opinions appreciated

James Bang
04-16-2006, 10:32 PM

I have to disagree on that subwoofer level. I have mine set around 3 and it's perfect. 15 would be tremedous bass. What it could be is your X-over level for the sub. also make sure MX is on.

btw. welcome to the club.

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
I have to disagree on that subwoofer level. I have mine set around 3 and it's perfect. 15 would be tremedous bass. What it could be is your X-over level for the sub. also make sure MX is on.

hmm havin mine at 15 is the closest to what i was hearing before, at 3 i doubt id hear anything at all. like i said i put the left side all the way up on the equalizer and everything else i culd customize i put all the way down and i think it sounds how it did before(not saying that sounds good, just wana replicate my old sound so i know theres not a problem with the deck/sub connection or wat not). culd u explain to me wat MX exactly is? i read it in the manual but wondering wat it actually does. i think i had it set on 3 at one point but vocals sounded distorted, any preferred setting? haha and thanks ive been wantin in to the club for a long time

MikeyB
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Dude tune everything on your headunit how you want it with the subwoofer turned off on it. Then after everything is how you want it, turn the sub on and set your gain. Read the gain setting tutorial.

Fosgate Forever
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
MX basicaly is a bass loud button should be at the low left corner

PhatTonyDeMarco
04-16-2006, 10:51 PM
hmm havin mine at 15 is the closest to what i was hearing before, at 3 i doubt id hear anything at all. like i said i put the left side all the way up on the equalizer and everything else i culd customize i put all the way down and i think it sounds how it did before(not saying that sounds good, just wana replicate my old sound so i know theres not a problem with the deck/sub connection or wat not). culd u explain to me wat MX exactly is? i read it in the manual but wondering wat it actually does. i think i had it set on 3 at one point but vocals sounded distorted, any preferred setting? haha and thanks ive been wantin in to the club for a long time
Since you changed head units, you now have a different preout voltage. So set your gain again, becasue it is no longer in sync with your new unit. I dont know if that will solve your problem 100% since I have no expereice with that head unit, but it will help..

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Dude tune everything on your headunit how you want it with the subwoofer turned off on it. Then after everything is how you want it, turn the sub on and set your gain. Read the gain setting tutorial.
yeah ive seen the tutorial just never got around to setting it so i left it between half and 3/4 gains. im real far from an audiophile, right now i just want the same sound(bass wise) i had from my pioneer deck(both for preference and to make sure my hu is in good working condition and the connections are fine). i think it sounds the way i want it now, and over time ill mess around with the highs/mids and everything else besides the sub because as of now i don't have very high expectations with SQ comin from my old setup and being new to car audio in general

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 10:56 PM
MX basicaly is a bass loud button should be at the low left corner
ohh yeah i know where it is and how to set it from 1-3. does it effect gains? since you said its a bass loud button

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Since you changed head units, you now have a different preout voltage. So set your gain again, becasue it is no longer in sync with your new unit. I dont know if that will solve your problem 100% since I have no expereice with that head unit, but it will help..
ohh i see what mikey was sayin now, dint know changin hu's wuld correspond to gains on my amp. as far as i know, i think the alpine has more voltage over my old pioneer so i dont get why i'd hear less bass? but lik i said im open to the idea that its because i didnt set the equalizer before cuz lik i said earlier with the bass all the way up and everything else(that i can move in the equalizer) set all the way down i think i hear wat i was hearin from my pioneer(which was a lotta car shaking bass with mids/highs not keepin up)

PhatTonyDeMarco
04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
yeah ive seen the tutorial just never got around to setting it so i left it between half and 3/4 gains. im real far from an audiophile, right now i just want the same sound(bass wise) i had from my pioneer deck(both for preference and to make sure my hu is in good working condition and the connections are fine). i think it sounds the way i want it now, and over time ill mess around with the highs/mids and everything else besides the sub because as of now i don't have very high expectations with SQ comin from my old setup and being new to car audio in general
Setting your gain correctly has nothing to do with being an audiophile... It has to do with taking care of your equipment.

Get a DMM (if you dont have one) and do it the right way.

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Setting your gain correctly has nothing to do with being an audiophile... It has to do with taking care of your equipment.

Get a DMM (if you dont have one) and do it the right way.
oh i agree with u, i was sayin im not an audiophile so i probably won't be spendin too much time with all the other settings besides the sub/bass, not yet anyways. but yeah ima get to settin the gains

lil azn 06
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Set your gain, trust me. before i set my gain on my 9855 the sub volume was incredibly low, like unaudibly low. Now that its set correctly the bass is loud even with the alpine knob for the sub at 0. You HU should also have 2 sub settings, one being low sub volume and one being loud.

Sorry man, but you really cant say anything about your sub volume being low until you do this gain fix. Then youll know whether its bumping louder or its something else thats the problem.

thai_creeper
04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Set your gain, trust me. before i set my gain on my 9855 the sub volume was incredibly low, like unaudibly low. Now that its set correctly the bass is loud even with the alpine knob for the sub at 0. You HU should also have 2 sub settings, one being low sub volume and one being loud.

Sorry man, but you really cant say anything about your sub volume being low until you do this gain fix. Then youll know whether its bumping louder or its something else thats the problem.
i see wat ur sayin, but the thing is i figure havin my gains at 1/2-3/4 because i havent set it yet would get me a decent amount of bass, theres not much left of an increase on the knob to go haha, mind tellin me wat ur equalizer settings look like? im interested because u said ur bass is loud at 0 setting, im guessing on ur alpine. i know that theres a lotta other factors like wat sub/amp u have and 100+ other things but jsut curious about ur equalizer. also anyone have any clue wat the diff is if u have the sub set on regular or reversed(180 degree) setting? im guessing thats for people who have the sub pointed towards the front of the car but wondering wat the hu wuld do differently in that setting

Black_Jesus
04-17-2006, 12:43 AM

btw. welcome to the club.wtf, are you TRYING to make his sytem sound like ****?

do NOT use the MX button. use the 5 band equalizer. doing MX u will get distortion a lot sooner, you will have more bass at a lower volume, but is it really worth it? unless your a bass head.

James Bang, with the level on 15 is the only way ull get 4v out of the subwoofer preout breh, 15 is at like say 0dB level, and 0 is like -15dB (numbers are probably off, but you should know what i mean, judging from your equipment) it is not a bass boost! all your doing is making your amp work harder.

and yes i could be the xover, definately check that :)

edit: and if u dont wanna believe me, believe this guy ;) http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=650329&postcount=115

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 01:02 AM
wtf, are you TRYING to make his sytem sound like ****?

do NOT use the MX button. use the 5 band equalizer. doing MX u will get distortion a lot sooner, you will have more bass at a lower volume, but is it really worth it? unless your a bass head.

James Bang, with the level on 15 is the only way ull get 4v out of the subwoofer preout breh, 15 is at like say 0dB level, and 0 is like -15dB (numbers are probably off, but you should know what i mean, judging from your equipment) it is not a bass boost! all your doing is making your amp work harder.

and yes i could be the xover, definately check that :)
yeah thats wat i was thinkin about the MX, thot no one on this site wuld be usin it (still appreciate the input tho james). i didnt know it could be the crossover settings, i think everythings just on factory settings, i was tryina mess around with it and got pretty lost to tell u the truth. didn't think that would affect the sub output too much(on factory settings) though but i'll play around with it wen i have time

Fosgate Forever
04-17-2006, 01:08 AM
well i use the MX button and i have absolutly no distortion what so ever in my system

Black_Jesus
04-17-2006, 01:13 AM
at low volumes it doesnt distort. gives you very uneven sound tho.

ngsm13
04-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Keep th EQ flat.

Do you have an amplifier on your speakers? Or just your sub?

You should really set your gains with the volume around 30-32 if you have an entirely amplified system. I usually set my gains at that volume b/c it is near full pre-out voltage... and with the sub-out on 12...

I love my 9835.

nG

danteBirosel
04-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Keep th EQ flat.

You should really set your gains with the volume around 30-32 if you have an entirely amplified system. I usually set my gains at that volume b/c it is near full pre-out voltage... and with the sub-out on 12...

I love my 9835.

nG

great information. expect me to PM you in a few days for more info, because im waiting on my dash kit from ebay for my new car.

-dante

Cris
04-17-2006, 01:21 AM

I could not disagree more. If 15 is "tremendous bass" for you, then your gains are set too high. If you want your HU maxing out at .5 volts, go ahead and set your sub level to 3. You won't get 4v out of your sub preout unless its setting is at 15, period.

The mx button makes everything sound like ****. It's just a button that messes with your EQ to turn certain frequences up that are pescieved to be "good". The only proper way to use an EQ is to leave it either flat or nearly flat. No one frequency is more important than others.

ngsm13
04-17-2006, 01:21 AM
great information. expect me to PM you in a few days for more info, because im waiting on my dash kit from ebay for my new car.

-dante

Werd yo.

nG

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Keep th EQ flat.

I love my 9835.

nG
only have an amp for my sub, speakers going to the HU, thanks for all the input everyone

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 01:41 AM
The only proper way to use an EQ is to leave it either flat or nearly flat. No one frequency is more important than others.
that sounds right, i was thinkin if ur equipment lacks in something maybe thats wen u wuld increase that frequency to make up for it?

ngsm13
04-17-2006, 01:47 AM
MX ***** BALLS...

NEVER use it... period.

It's like bass boost or the LOUD feature... it's artificial ****... causes distortion easily...

nG

James Bang
04-17-2006, 01:50 AM
wtf, are you TRYING to make his sytem sound like ****?

No. I'm not TRYING to make his system sound like ****. I love how mine sounds, so why can't I recommend my personal settings. I use the MX function and get 0 distorting at any volume. If yours do, that's your prob. From what I've read, MX = media xpander, which is suppose to expand compressed files such as mp3s. If that's what it does, which I believe it does, then that's why I use it. Also, I'm still not buying the sub level, though I may be wrong. Yes I get tremendous bass when my level's at 15, but w/ no distortion. The reason why I have it set on 3-4, is so I have headroom, and lots of it, just in case those who pull up next to me w/ a-bahns or whatever tryign to show me up, then I can just gently raise my sub level and let my ported Brahma 15" pound.

ngsm13
04-17-2006, 01:54 AM
No. I'm not TRYING to make his system sound like ****. I love how mine sounds, so why can't I recommend my personal settings. I use the MX function and get 0 distorting at any volume. If yours do, that's your prob. From what I've read, MX = media xpander, which is suppose to expand compressed files such as mp3s. If that's what it does, which I believe it does, then that's why I use it. Also, I'm still not buying the sub level, though I may be wrong. Yes I get tremendous bass when my level's at 15, but w/ no distortion. The reason why I have it set on 3-4, is so I have headroom, and lots of it, just in case those who pull up next to me w/ a-bahns or whatever tryign to show me up, then I can just gently raise my sub level and let my ported Brahma 15" pound.

That's b/c you have the ****** *** MX on...

Turn the MX off.

Set your gains with the volume on 30-32 and the subout on 12. After you set your gains at these settings, adjust you 5band PEQ to taste.

Should result in an overall much better sound than before.

nG

James Bang
04-17-2006, 02:14 AM
^^^lol^^^ like the "reason"

well, I just tinkered w/ my settings while mx is off. Not bad at all w/ mx off. But I didn't adjust my gains, because my amp rack design makes it a hassle. What I can say is that it's smoother.

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 02:21 AM
That's b/c you have the ****** *** MX on...

Turn the MX off.

Set your gains with the volume on 30-32 and the subout on 12. After you set your gains at these settings, adjust you 5band PEQ to taste.

Should result in an overall much better sound than before.

nG
do u suggest anything diff since my speakers are powered by my hu(set volume high and set gains on amp for sub)? haha i didnt even know the max volume on the alpine cuz around 25 theyre alredy too much for my ears(the front stage speakers) at flat equalizer, is 32 the max?

James Bang
04-17-2006, 02:34 AM
do u suggest anything diff since my speakers are powered by my hu(set volume high and set gains on amp for sub)? haha i didnt even know the max volume on the alpine cuz around 25 theyre alredy too much for my ears(the front stage speakers) at flat equalizer, is 32 the max?
35 is the max. If the volume of your interior speakers are too loud at 25, what I would do I adjust the x-over levels lower for your mids & highs.

I would adjust the levels allll the way down, then have the volume at 32, and slowly raise the levels you barely notice your speakers distort then lower the levels a couple of notches.

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 02:45 AM
35 is the max. If the volume of your interior speakers are too loud at 25, what I would do I adjust the x-over levels lower for your mids & highs.

I would adjust the levels allll the way down, then have the volume at 32, and slowly raise the levels you barely notice your speakers distort then lower the levels a couple of notches.
good idea haha dont know why i didnt think to apply wat ngsm said with the hu's xovers.

Decipha
04-17-2006, 02:47 AM
go ahead NG do what you do best... start erasin shiit

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 02:47 AM
you have your way i have mine.... IMO's (in most opinions) wrong

set your bass amp gain at about vol 30
*turn the motha fuka down* (i'd say about 15)
set the gain on the comp amp to attenuate the bass

do not set the gains on the comp amp with the volume at 30 this will reult in possible hearing loss and can possibly damage your comps if amp happens to clip
i think that'd be good in my case too(even tho i dont have comps) since i want a little more bass. keep the opinions/ideas commin;)

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 02:50 AM
you have your way i have mine.... IMO's (in most opinions) wrong

set your bass amp gain at about vol 30
*turn the motha fuka down* (i'd say about 15)
set the gain on the comp amp to attenuate the bass

do not set the gains on the comp amp with the volume at 30 this will reult in possible hearing loss and can possibly damage your comps if amp happens to clip
i think that'd be good in my case too(even tho i dont have comps) since i want a little more bass. keep the opinions/ideas commin;)

EDIT:

^^^discard, no comps, no comp amp... i just read up
lol wuldnt it work in my case kinda, if i put the volume at 30 and set the xovers for the sub where i want it and turn the volume down and do the same with everything else?

MikeyB
04-17-2006, 08:46 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63933

Trust me bro this will help you a lot. The gain is not a volume knob for the amplifier, it is there to match the output on your head unit. Read up on how to set them and you will have a much greater understanding of how this all works.

thai_creeper
04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63933

Trust me bro this will help you a lot. The gain is not a volume knob for the amplifier, it is there to match the output on your head unit. Read up on how to set them and you will have a much greater understanding of how this all works.
yeah ive seen that thread already just havent gotten to settin the gains on my amp for my sub. wen i set my xovers, movin the level(not the frequency) up an down, is that like setting the gains? i think it says dB's or sumtin for movin the level up and down(probably sumtin for alpine owners to answer)

slain93gsr
04-18-2006, 12:15 AM
that is to level match everything once your gains are properly set on your amp or amps

thai_creeper
04-18-2006, 02:27 AM
that is to level match everything once your gains are properly set on your amp or amps
ohh level match? haha should i search about that, also what would it do in my situation(no amps to speakers just amp to sub)

slain93gsr
04-18-2006, 03:11 PM
try -6db on all the fronts/rears/sub and start from there.. add a little deduct a little everything should sound like it blends right in.. the subs shouldnt overpower the fronts etc.

thai_creeper
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
try -6db on all the fronts/rears/sub and start from there.. add a little deduct a little everything should sound like it blends right in.. the subs shouldnt overpower the fronts etc.
gotcha, did that today and it sounds good :D

noob with an RS
04-18-2006, 09:40 PM

i would rather have my sub level set to +15 and adjust the gain accordingly rather than having the sub level at 3 and setting the gain higher... and i would NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER use the MX function since all it is is a preset EQ setting if i'm not mistaken.... and there's no need for a preset EQ when u already have a flexible head unit you can customize yourself:rolleyes: but to each his own, right..?

with all due respect, media xpander is alpine's euphenism for "****** *** EQ settings that noob bandwagon wh0res will use and think is great."
and when an audiobahn wh0re pulls next to me, i don't show him up by cranking the sub output (which is theoretically cranking your gain knob up temporarily).. i show him up by cranking my volume knob higher:rolleyes: so not only does he get a taste of ported idMAXness.. he gets to hear the nice tweets floating around in my cabin :cool:

Makaveli7haDon
04-19-2006, 08:12 AM

sorry to bag on you but u don't know enough about alpine head units to give advice. You must set the sub level to max (+15) to get full voltage to your subs. MX is a bass boost/gimmick (for noobs and bass heads). It will sound good for low powered speakers but will start to distort much sooner when volume is increased. If you don't believe me call alpine tech support.

Makaveli7haDon
04-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Thats your personal preference but the guy was asking how to set his **** up correctly. Your settings might sound good to you but it is not a flat eq.

lil azn 06
04-30-2006, 08:31 PM
okay i guess you was right. I turned off Media Xpander and i love my highs much better but the bass is seriously lacking even at proper gains and with bass knob on 15+. It hurts lol.

thai_creeper
04-30-2006, 09:05 PM
okay i guess you was right. I turned off Media Xpander and i love my highs much better but the bass is seriously lacking even at proper gains and with bass knob on 15+. It hurts lol.
haha yeah i agree with the xpander off, check out your xover settings on the deck, what i did was (mine's on 2 way mode i think so there's sub, rear, and front) i put the sub level all the way up and front and rear all the way down, makes a big difference for me, if anyone objects feel free to comment cuz this stuff is new to me too

thai_creeper
04-30-2006, 11:42 PM
btw, can anyone tell me what the deck does when you go to the sub options and select reversed? i dont think it says in the manual thanks

lil azn 06
05-01-2006, 11:19 PM
btw, can anyone tell me what the deck does when you go to the sub options and select reversed? i dont think it says in the manual thanks

When i switched it to 0 degrees, it sounded louder. Thats all i can really say heh

Y2K SE
05-13-2006, 01:01 AM
btw, can anyone tell me what the deck does when you go to the sub options and select reversed? i dont think it says in the manual thanksI suspect it relates to how the sub is oriented, towards the front of the car or towards the rear.

Y2K SE
05-13-2006, 01:05 AM
While on the subject of the MX setting on Alpine headunits, I've noticed that having MX enabled on mine (a 7894) brings out the highs and brings down the bass a bit, no matter if I'm listening to the radio, a CD, or my MP3 player through the AUX connector. The music sounds flat, dull, and way too "bassy" with it turned off. This is the opposite of the effect several of you say it has.

thai_creeper
05-14-2006, 07:01 PM
yeah it'll be like that at first, you have to play around with the eq and cross over settings til you get the sound you want. mx is sort of like an eq setting they made that (im guessing) they thought would make most songs sound better

Y2K SE
05-15-2006, 05:36 AM
yeah it'll be like that at first, you have to play around with the eq and cross over settings til you get the sound you want. mx is sort of like an eq setting they made that (im guessing) they thought would make most songs sound betterBass and Treble settings are at 0. HPF filter and LPF filter are at 120Hz.

thai_creeper
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Bass and Treble settings are at 0. HPF filter and LPF filter are at 120Hz.
Well if you think it's too much bass increase the trebble, and vice versa. Not sure what other people put their high pass filter at but I just set mine at 100 or a little lower I think and it sounds good to me

Y2K SE
05-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Well if you think it's too much bass increase the trebble, and vice versa. Not sure what other people put their high pass filter at but I just set mine at 100 or a little lower I think and it sounds good to meIt's not that there's too much bass. It sounds like I'm listening to a mono AM signal. There's just no life to the music.

thai_creeper
05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
It's not that there's too much bass. It sounds like I'm listening to a mono AM signal. There's just no life to the music.
lol all I can say is play with it more, if you still prefer mx just use that, no rules saying you cant ;)

SlammeD_SiR
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
reverse (phase) which on ur deck is 0 or 180

aperantly its like a time correction makes ur sub blend in better wit ur high mids, just switch it to which one u think sounds better too u ull kno when it the right way

and i had the problem with my highs getting to loud at low volumes i had to put the x over down cuz it got to loud n i like loud so i keept on pumping harder n i would always make my deck cut out

iceteebone
05-17-2006, 12:55 PM
i'm gonna add to the idiocy but i have yet to figure out how to adjust the sub level on my 9835?

SlammeD_SiR
05-17-2006, 06:43 PM
i'm gonna add to the idiocy but i have yet to figure out how to adjust the sub level on my 9835?

3 ways
1.x-over
2eq
3 sub level when u click ur knob in
**** around with 1 and 3 then number 2 to adjust minor ****

thai_creeper
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
just press the volume knob

iceteebone
05-17-2006, 06:51 PM
ahh i see. never thought about pushing the volume knob

SlammeD_SiR
05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
me either i found it by accedent

bizzy07
05-18-2006, 12:40 AM
alpine decks have bass types too if you press and hold the "center" button i dont know it this will help anything im just adding it

LVZ2PND
05-19-2006, 07:47 PM
what is with the cartoons

LVZ2PND
05-19-2006, 07:48 PM
is that good one?

LVZ2PND
i got my alpine cva 1005 :)

LVZ2PND
that is the most awesome bra EVER!