PDA

View Full Version : Supplies you need to build an enclosure

James Bang
04-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Someone PM'd me asking what supplies would they need to start building. If he doesn't know, then there must be many more who doesn't. So I'll try to list everything you'll need to complete an enclosure. Please feel free to add anything I missed that have helped you with your build.

1. 3/4" MDF wood - ~$20 a sheet
2. Wood Glue. Titebond seems to be the choice for many
3. Nails. 1 5/8" does fine for me.
4 BAR CLAMPS - at least 3, you can choose the size according to the size of enclosures you build. I recommend 30" or more.
5. Caulk - to fill up any holes that may lead to leaks from those not-so-straight cuts.
6. Silicone - GE window/door clear silicone was recommend by PV audio and I would have to take his word for it. Also used to prevent air-leaks. I just bought 2 tubes of them today.
7. Corner clamps - may come in hand to get those nice 90 degree angles just right.
8. Straight edge rule - I used a yard stick.
9. Caulking Gun.
10. Paint - for the port. Black is a famous color.

Tools/Power
1. Table Saw - for the cuts.
or Circular Saw
2. Drill - cordless or not. Phillips bit for the screws, and drill bit for predrilling (make sure the bit is not as big or bigger than the screws)
3. Jigsaw or Router - for subwoofer cutout (thx Eldorado)
4. Sander - Will work wonders for those off cuts.

Also dont' forget protective gear. googles, dust mask. Breathing in all that mdf dust does not feel good. Hopefully i've covered everything.

SAG3
04-16-2006, 03:40 AM
theres like 4 billion of these same threads

James Bang
04-16-2006, 03:42 AM
no... 4 billion + 1

JAZN
04-16-2006, 03:43 AM
lets shoot down people trying to help others.

SAG3
04-16-2006, 03:43 AM
shoootz

James Bang
04-16-2006, 03:45 AM
lets shoot down people trying to help others.
would the fvck would want to help others in a forum???

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-16-2006, 05:26 AM
would the fvck would want to help others in a forum???

x2 isn't that what forums are for.

hofulstrof
04-16-2006, 05:31 AM
for ppl who are looking to buying bar clamps

these 3/4" pony bar clams are the only way to go
http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vises/pony/images/po50k.jpg
they cost a bit more but are will worth the money.i use these on a daily basis.

pony bar clamps > all

and as for glue. titebond original is a great choice. i also like useing dual.

I have had bad experiences useing lepage origional carpenters glue so i dont suggest useing it.

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-16-2006, 05:38 AM
for ppl who are looking to buying bar clamps

these 3/4" pony bar clams are the only way to go
http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vises/pony/images/po50k.jpg
they cost a bit more but are will worth the money.i use these on a daily basis.

pony bar clamps > all

and as for glue. titebond original is a great choice. i also like useing dual.

I have had bad experiences useing lepage origional carpenters glue so i dont suggest useing it.

I used that kind of clamp for my latest box and it PWNS.

James Bang
04-16-2006, 05:40 AM
x2 isn't that what forums are for.
yah. not sure what's sag3's purpose on this forum.

[QOUTE=hofulstof]for ppl who are looking to buying bar clamps

these 3/4" pony bar clams are the only way to go[/QUOTE]
my last box i've used only one bar clamp and I can see how help it provides, so I went out and bought two more. They bring the pieces of wood together much better than screws can. I haven't had experience w/ those pony clamps, but bar clamps altogether are a great investment if you're looking into building.

James Bang
04-16-2006, 05:41 AM
I used that kind of clamp for my latest box and it PWNS.
sounds like you have plans for more boxes in the future. good stuff.

Eldorado
04-16-2006, 05:45 AM
Someone PM'd me asking what supplies would they need to start building. If he doesn't know, then there must be many more who doesn't. So I'll try to list everything you'll need to complete an enclosure. Please feel free to add anything I missed that have helped you with your build.

1. 3/4" MDF wood - ~$20 a sheet
2. Wood Glue. Titebond seems to be the choice for many
3. Nails. 1 5/8" does fine for me.
4 BAR CLAMPS - at least 3, you can choose the size according to the size of enclosures you build. I recommend 30" or more.
5. Caulk - to fill up any holes that may lead to leaks from those not-so-straight cuts.
6. Silicone - GE window/door clear silicone was recommend by PV audio and I would have to take his word for it. Also used to prevent air-leaks. I just bought 2 tubes of them today.
7. Corner clamps - may come in hand to get those nice 90 degree angles just right.
8. Straight edge rule - I used a yard stick.
9. Caulking Gun.
10. Paint - for the port. Black is a famous color.

Tools/Power
or Circular Saw
2. Drill - cordless or not. Phillips bit for the screws, and drill bit for predrilling (make sure the bit is not as big or bigger than the screws)
3. Sander - Will work wonders for those off cuts.

Also dont' forget protective gear. googles, dust mask. Breathing in all that mdf dust does not feel good. Hopefully i've covered everything.
Jigsaw and or router for the sub hole
Shure you can make an enclosure but it does no good if you dont have a sub cutout :D

j3bus2k3
04-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Jasper Jig optional...

And you forgot the beer bro...you need a cold one, well at least here in FL, while your building.

James Bang
04-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Jigsaw and or router for the sub hole
Shure you can make an enclosure but it does no good if you dont have a sub cutout :D
:banghead: that totally slipped my head. Thx for catching that.

Eldorado
04-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Smarter than the average bear.
Jasper jigs are nice but you can make a home made one for pratically nothing

AlpineUser
04-16-2006, 08:53 AM
i would use screws over nail because the nails might pull out from the bass playing after a while....1.5in drywall screws are perfect and a countersink bit is good to

AlpineUser
04-16-2006, 08:55 AM
he said caulk gun which is fine but the easier way to go is with the squeesable tubes so you can get every crack perfect because caulk guns you dont have much manuverability

dkguitarist
04-16-2006, 10:36 AM
i was wondering about this myself while i was working last night. you read my mind mang. bump for a helpful thread.

AlpineUser
04-16-2006, 11:32 AM
concrete... you forgot concrete... :)

lol that one heavy box lol......i wonder if you make a box out of concrete how would it sound?.....someone needs to try that

dkguitarist
04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
lol that one heavy box lol......i wonder if you make a box out of concrete how would it sound?.....someone needs to try that

i'm thinking a walled off vehicle ;)

James Bang
04-16-2006, 12:21 PM
it has been done in an spl vehicle.

baseballer1100
04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Lets say your going to use a router. What bits would be used? How would you properly use a jasper jig and the bits?

johnson
04-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Supplies you need to build an enclosure:

something that cuts wood, preferably a saw of some sort
wood glue
respirator (not a dusk mask)

Things I use:
Cordless Milwaukee circular saw
$15 brad nailer
Tite bond
straight edge
clamps
$60 plunge router
homemade circle jig

johnson
04-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Lets say your going to use a router. What bits would be used? How would you properly use a jasper jig and the bits?

Using a jasper jig is like using a string and pen when drawing a circle. You stick a pin on one end and just move around until it becomes complete.

You want a spiral upcut bit. www.routerbits.com (http://www.routerbits.com) They use Whiteside bits.

marly
04-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Tools/Power
or Circular Saw
3. Jigsaw or Router - for subwoofer cutout (thx Eldorado)
4. Sander - Will work wonders for those off cuts.

How about a Biscuit Jointer? I have one and you get a stronger joint by using biscuits. I wonder if you can get around using screws or nails by using one?

marly

Eldorado
04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
A biscuit jointer would work.
No harm in trying.

300watts
04-17-2006, 08:54 PM
How about a Biscuit Jointer? I have one and you get a stronger joint by using biscuits. I wonder if you can get around using screws or nails by using one?

marly

Biscuits would make stronger joints. But if you already have a router you can make dado joints which would be even stronger. (Pretty easy to do with a router table.) Personally, I never use screws when assembling an enclosure, just brad nails and thats just to hold it together until the wood glue dries.

-chris

Eldorado
04-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Dovetail would be the best if you had a router.
I dont use screws, brad nailer's are soooo much faster

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
:banghead: that totally slipped my head. Thx for catching that.

You forgot the elbow greese as well.

DoubleOB
04-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Carpet?

baseballer1100
04-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone know where a tutorial is on how to cut a circle witha router? ahhh i hate being a noob.

marly
04-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Carpet?
Speaking of carpet, where is a good place to get carpet? I've been thinking of building (attempting to) my own ported box.

marly

James Bang
04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Carpet?
reason why I didn't list carpet is because I don't see it as a necessity. A lot of people prefer not to carpet an enclosure like myself. Why cover up your own art. It's like painting a masterpiece and covering it w/ a big splash of black paint. .....IMO

Unless you do one hell of a carpet job.

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-19-2006, 12:26 AM
reason why I didn't list carpet is because I don't see it as a necessity. A lot of people prefer not to carpet an enclosure like myself. Why cover up your own art. It's like painting a masterpiece and covering it w/ a big splash of black paint. .....IMO

I just wanted to try the rabbited edge thing. That edge is a work of art in itself.

Eldorado
04-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Anyone know where a tutorial is on how to cut a circle witha router? ahhh i hate being a noob.
there is one FG tutorial that shows you how to make trim rings.
Prob explains how to do it

Eldorado
04-19-2006, 12:29 AM

Exactly.
Carpeting is another step from the finished product

Vincent9515
04-19-2006, 02:01 AM

You need a circle jig. Parts Express sells the Jasper set. It's fairly expensive, but well worth it if you're going to be building a lot of enclosures. You can probably build your own out of Plexiglas, but I didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Once you get that, mount it to the router and stick a pin into the circle jig and through to a predrilled hole in the box.

The router will need a spiral upcut bit. Home Depot stocks Porter Cable which is a fairly good brand. I usually make three passes through 3/4" MDF to avoid overloading my router and prevent premature bit failure from chips building up. You want to move fairly fast so it doesn't sit in one spot, so set it accordingly.

Eldorado
04-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Those down cutting bits are so nice.
All the sawdust just lands on the floor and not in your eyes

baseballer1100
04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
You need a circle jig. Parts Express sells the Jasper set. It's fairly expensive, but well worth it if you're going to be building a lot of enclosures. You can probably build your own out of Plexiglas, but I didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Once you get that, mount it to the router and stick a pin into the circle jig and through to a predrilled hole in the box.

The router will need a spiral upcut bit. Home Depot stocks Porter Cable which is a fairly good brand. I usually make three passes through 3/4" MDF to avoid overloading my router and prevent premature bit failure from chips building up. You want to move fairly fast so it doesn't sit in one spot, so set it accordingly.
do you cut the hole last if not how do you hold it down and whst not.

PV Audio
04-19-2006, 11:47 PM
For subs, I cut out the hole after the box is assembled. For speakers, I do it before assembly.

Also, for routers, a straight bit is plenty fine for doing cutouts.

James Bang
04-20-2006, 01:57 AM
do you cut the hole last if not how do you hold it down and whst not.
I myself liek to cut the sub cutout before the piece is on the box, in case i mess up. I just lay the piece on top of some leftover pieces of MDF under it (both sides of the circle) then kneel on it and cut... Or if the piece is big enough I use my work bench, or you can clamp it down to two saw horses. then you ride the horses :hihorse:

baseballer1100
04-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I myself liek to cut the sub cutout before the piece is on the box, in case i mess up. I just lay the piece on top of some leftover pieces of MDF under it (both sides of the circle) then kneel on it and cut... Or if the piece is big enough I use my work bench, or you can clamp it down to two saw horses. then you ride the horses :hihorse:

Will the mdf move at all? if you just lay it on there?

James Bang
04-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Will the mdf move at all? if you just lay it on there?
if knelt on w/ a hand holding it in place it'll stay while you're cutting it w/ a jigsaw.

baseballer1100
04-21-2006, 04:38 PM
What if your using a router?

soul05
04-21-2006, 04:46 PM
i would think it would be the same concept

James Bang
04-21-2006, 07:37 PM
What if your using a router?
w/ a router, make sure the piece is clamped down. You can use a workbench or saw horses. :hihorse: