PDA

View Full Version : Hatch lock is in the way

vorgath
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Well looks like I won't be able to make my box the easy way, i.e. totally rectangular, a simple box. I wand to keep the woofer in the center, and one port of each side of it, however the hatch power lock is in the middle, and unless I can stretch ouut the box somehow sideways, the lock will prevent me from mounting the woofer in the middle.

joeldirt
04-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Well looks like I won't be able to make my box the easy way, i.e. totally rectangular, a simple box. I wand to keep the woofer in the center, and one port of each side of it, however the hatch power lock is in the middle, and unless I can stretch ouut the box somehow sideways, the lock will prevent me from mounting the woofer in the middle.

whatcha gona do about that?

actually you could "stretch your box" in a sense. If you really need to do that let me know I'll tell you how. (Simple Simple)

vorgath
04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
My car's a 91, but this is similar
http://i7.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/ce/d9/62_12.JPG

vorgath
04-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah looks like I'll have to make the bottom of it maybe 28 inches wide, go up 10 inches or so, and then stretch out the sides some more, which means cutting into the plastic panels on one side, even though I don't mind.

vorgath
04-15-2006, 08:59 PM
A few more pics to give ya'll some idea what I'm talking about:

http://www.installshowcase.com/new_page_19.htm

scroll down

joeldirt
04-15-2006, 09:35 PM
A few more pics to give ya'll some idea what I'm talking about:

http://www.installshowcase.com/new_page_19.htm

scroll down

couldnt you have the sub facing toward the front of the car rather then back? In this situation, I would go fiberglassed ring top with ring and port mount rings upward towards the front of the car. Would be kind of cool.

vorgath
04-15-2006, 10:09 PM
hmmmm you mean like a slanted box ?

vorgath
04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Another problem is though, that one usually recommends the sub facing either up or back, for that car, because of the hatch preventing it from acting like a "standard" trunk located enclosure

req
04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
looks like fiberglass would be your best friend.

i definatly wouldnt make a box out of wood in that car.

joeldirt
04-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Another problem is though, that one usually recommends the sub facing either up or back, for that car, because of the hatch preventing it from acting like a "standard" trunk located enclosure

I believe Q-logic makes thier sealed enclosure pretty much how I am talking about only you would make yours a whole lot better

vorgath
04-16-2006, 02:46 AM
But how would I be able to tell how big to make it ? Except for making it and what ? Pumping liquid into it and measure the volume ?

Fiberglass, hmmmm maybe, but I already got enough of a project fiberglassing a hood scoop/ram air assembly lol

Got any pics of what exactly you mean ?

Another thing I was wondering about was, which way to fire the sub, straight up, or angled somewhat forward ? Got duty today and this comp won't let me view the Camaro forum.

vorgath
04-16-2006, 11:11 AM
I guess I may have to build the box more close to this design:

http://www.iroc-ss.com/subwoofer.htm

The "standard" box for Camaro's, since I'm going with a single 10, but in a ported box.

joeldirt
04-16-2006, 08:07 PM
But how would I be able to tell how big to make it ? Except for making it and what ? Pumping liquid into it and measure the volume ?

Fiberglass, hmmmm maybe, but I already got enough of a project fiberglassing a hood scoop/ram air assembly lol

Got any pics of what exactly you mean ?

Another thing I was wondering about was, which way to fire the sub, straight up, or angled somewhat forward ? Got duty today and this comp won't let me view the Camaro forum.

your on duty? what are you in the Marines?

req
04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
I guess I may have to build the box more close to this design:

http://www.iroc-ss.com/subwoofer.htm

The "standard" box for Camaro's, since I'm going with a single 10, but in a ported box.

fiberglass for the win!

screw making that rediclious box. make it outta glassss.

vorgath
04-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Navy

nope, I'll do as much as I can out of MDF, only problem I have now is deciding which way to fire the **** sub

joeldirt
04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Navy

nope, I'll do as much as I can out of MDF, only problem I have now is deciding which way to fire the **** sub

I'm sorry.... any how. the box could be made mostly out of MDF, nut the upper portion of it can have the sub slanted slightly forward. and two ports fireing up. (would sound great in a camaro/ firebird) Glass with this option is again imo the way to go for both looks and functionability. agian though jmo

vorgath
04-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Well I'll most likely go mostly with MDF, but on top and other places I'll use some fiberglass and bondo, to even it out and get that nice smooth flowing look to it

vorgath
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Looks like I'll be going mostly with fiberglass after all