PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Alpine experts

Rallybred
04-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Pretty sure I am going to get far enough over 150db that my laptop (carputer) dies soon, so I am wanting to add a head unit for comps. What is the best Alpine head unit that:

Does not have a flip out screen (carputer has one with inputs)
Can interface with my PXA -701 (ai-net and optical out)
Can function while paused (burp mode)
Has remote
No internal amp (of course)

I am an old school type guy and would love to have a rare, or discontinued unit, but it must have optical out.
Love the F1 line, if I could find one used.

Thanks.

p.s. My laptop does dvd, gps, mp3, tv, fm etc. and my Pxa-701 does all the processing, so I guess signal quality is top priority and extra features last.

req
04-15-2006, 11:08 AM
the only alpine HU that does not have a flipscreen that could controll it (id imagine its a pain in the *** without the controlls from the C701) is the DVA-9965R.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a579.det.DVA-9965R_DVD--CD--MP3--WMA-TUNER.htm

and its got that gay glide touch crap... good luck with that :bawling:

however, it does not have an amp inside (wee) and it looks real nice. im not sure about the pause for burp stuff. i know pioneer has offerings that can do that as owner of the SPL van i am helping to build uses one and it works great.

Rallybred
04-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Forgot to mention, I have the controller for PXA-H701, just assumed you would know (since laptop IS my current head unit).

Thanks for the link will check it out, don't really like the sound of "glidetouch" either, but my Pxa controller has a big beautiful backlit master volume.

Remember, Signal<functionality

What about those sick older units (pre F1) with copper cases and stuff, none had optical out? I can leave my current processor controller in (rux something) if need be so don't really need ai-net I guess, just optical.

msimon
04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Forgot to mention, I have the controller for PXA-H701, just assumed you would know (since laptop IS my current head unit).

Thanks for the link will check it out, don't really like the sound of "glidetouch" either, but my Pxa controller has a big beautiful backlit master volume.

Remember, Signal<functionality

What about those sick older units (pre F1) with copper cases and stuff, none had optical out? I can leave my current processor controller in (rux something) if need be so don't really need ai-net I guess, just optical.

The 7939, 7949, and 7969 all have a copper chassis, ai-net, and a toslink output.

Rallybred
04-15-2006, 12:54 PM
The 7939, 7949, and 7969 all have a copper chassis, ai-net, and a toslink output.

Beautiful, gonna read up on those...any idea if they are "burpable" or handle spl well? What would be the compatible changer for that.

There are probably more units out there that meet these requirements, would pay more for best signal (burr or whatever).

Chime in with your favorites, someone probably has one on a shelf in the closet:) .

Thanks.

msimon
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Beautiful, gonna read up on those...any idea if they are "burpable" or handle spl well? What would be the compatible changer for that.

There are probably more units out there that meet these requirements, would pay more for best signal (burr or whatever).

Chime in with your favorites, someone probably has one on a shelf in the closet:) .

Thanks.

The 7949 is supposed to have problems playing stratched CDs and CD-r's so I do not think that it would do to well in a SPL environment. The 7939 and 7969 are supposed to be better at playing stratched CDs, but they are older units.

Why would you worry about burr brown DACs if you are using the optical out? When you use the optical out, you completely bypass the digital-to-analog conversion inside the headunit, and rely on the h701's DACs.

Fosgate Forever
04-15-2006, 01:03 PM
7995 is a good unit thart might fit your needs too

msimon
04-15-2006, 01:14 PM
7995 is a good unit thart might fit your needs too

I do not think that unit has a digital output.

Rallybred
04-15-2006, 01:24 PM
The 7949 is supposed to have problems playing stratched CDs and CD-r's so I do not think that it would do to well in a SPL environment. The 7939 and 7969 are supposed to be better at playing stratched CDs, but they are older units.

Why would you worry about burr brown DACs if you are using the optical out? When you use the optical out, you completely bypass the digital-to-analog conversion inside the headunit, and rely on the h701's DACs.

Just the kind of answers I was looking for:) , not a newb just been out of the audio scene for a long time (15 years). You are right, thanks for that, scratch the burr comment.

And thanks for the info on skipping cd's and such, helping narrow it down fast.

So with your help, I can narrow it down to just needing optical out and good anti-skip memory (and remote).

Thanks.

Rallybred
04-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Don't want to build a podium for my daily driver, if I did, I could set my laptop on it. When testing, a few times with the laptop remote, did not want to go back to pause after burp and I don't really like to get in while burping.

sl600
04-16-2006, 07:08 PM
how about the cda-7990 :yumyum: ????
its an F1 unit how much you are willig to buy for a brand new one, not used not refer just brand new :)

Slaugh
04-17-2006, 07:06 AM
well im pretty sure 7969 is newer than 7949... i could be wrong thou?

msimon
04-17-2006, 11:59 AM
well im pretty sure 7969 is newer than 7949... i could be wrong thou?

Yes, it is. I meant "older units" in that they are still 6-7 years old, so they do not have the anti-skip protection of today's units, and cannot read strached cds like today's units either.

Another unit you could look into is the DVA-9860. It is a single DIN DVD player, but it does not have an indash screen and can control the functions of the H701 without the seperate controller.

Rallybred
04-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Gonna do a little reseach on these, hopefully by the weekend. F1 would be awesome, but since laptop is daily and tuner is just for comps, I am sure new F1 is out of my range ($500 or so).

Rallybred
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Yes, it is. I meant "older units" in that they are still 6-7 years old, so they do not have the anti-skip protection of today's units, and cannot read strached cds like today's units either.

Another unit you could look into is the DVA-9860. It is a single DIN DVD player, but it does not have an indash screen and can control the functions of the H701 without the seperate controller.

Internal amp (yuk)

ngsm13
04-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Internal amp (yuk)

You don't have to use it ;)

nG