PDA

View Full Version : I think they screwed up my custom made enclosure

kingsxman
04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
When I had the local shop put in my new system (old one was stolen) they made me a custom sealed enclosure for my 2-10" JL 10w6v2's. Long story short it never really sounded very good. Way too boomy. Tonight I decided to try my old 2-10" sealed enclosure that came with my old original 10w6v2's. When I took the subs out of the custom enclosure I see that they have the whole thing as one large enclosure: not 2 seperate enclosures... No wonder its too boomy!

My question is: isnt it common practice to make an enclosure for both speakers? I thought it was. I paid $200 for this (well...insurance did) and I'm not real thrilled. The enclosure that was stolen was another custom 2-10 sealed that I had made from Mr. Marv. That thing was incredible...and I only paid $150 for that.

They did an awesome job with the rest of my setup (and the enclosure LOOKS really good and is custom made for my Grand Prix. Just seems like he screwed up the most important part. Did he?

bjfish11
04-14-2006, 09:15 PM
You dont HAVE to put the subs in seperate chambers. Pros as, if you do, and blow one you can still run one at the proper airspace. Thats about the only difference.

hofulstrof
04-14-2006, 09:17 PM
no not really. there is nothing wrong with subs sharing an enclosure like that. but there advantages to have them speraated.
1 it adds braceing (which is always a good thing
2 if one sub were to blow (for what ever reason) the other one wont be affected

Savstyle
04-14-2006, 09:20 PM
you paid 200 bux for a sealed enclosure?:eyebrow:

James Bang
04-14-2006, 10:09 PM
you paid 200 bux for a sealed enclosure?:eyebrow:
I was thinking the same thing. maybe I should've charged more than a $100 for a 12" ported box.

anyways... the only reason why I think that it may sound boomy is because the newer enclosure has a different volume than the other... maybe it's much bigger or small than your last.

kingsxman
04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I wasnt too happy about paying $200..but like I said it was an insurance replacment...so I didnt sweat it. Its good to know that its not that unusual that it doenst have seperate chambers because the rest of the install was so good. The enclosure actually looks really nice...

Its interesting that it supposedly is made for the 10w6v2's. It IS bigger than my Mr. Marv box. And the Marv box stomped all over this one....

So you dont think seperating the speakers, i.e. taking it half apart and adding chambers, will help the sound?

Pyro_By_Nature
04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
The enclosure is probably too small (or even too big), qtc is probably through the roof.And no it's not because there is no divider, that's optional.Just poorly designed.Probably designed for the people who just want boom boom, not accurately reproduced music.

hofulstrof
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
yes the enclosue is to big. you can add solid object like 2x4's or pices of mdf ro recuce the volume of your box.

PV Audio
04-15-2006, 12:12 AM
^^^ Don't do that. Just build another enclosure. Fixing a finished enclosure will probably be more detrimental than beneficial. That's kind of like writing an important document in pen and then once finished you go to edit something and knock the bottle of ink all over the paper.

imaspaceguy90
04-15-2006, 12:15 AM
^^^ Don't do that. Just build another enclosure. Fixing a finished enclosure will probably be more detrimental than beneficial. That's kind of like writing an important document in pen and then once finished you go to edit something and knock the bottle of ink all over the paper.
x2

kingsxman
04-15-2006, 08:38 AM
I'll probably just have Marv build me another enclosure...or try one myself. I wont go fixing tihs one.... Bummer because this one looked great and "fit" my car perfectly. I'm guessing the dude put more effort into making it "look" right then he did the sound of it. I just cant get over it because this shop is a great shop and this dude's been doing this for a long time....

goofy.

bjfish11
04-15-2006, 10:41 AM
take it back and tell them. Also, how many cubic feet is this one? How bout the previous one?

kingsxman
04-15-2006, 02:12 PM
How can I tell cubic feet? Its kind of sloped.

Kevokrook77
04-15-2006, 02:18 PM
How can I tell cubic feet?

If the box is square, just measure the dimensions of the box, making sure to account for the thickness of the wood (3/4"). If it is an odd shape (which it sounds like it is), you could either guesstimate with your measurements or fill it up with packing peanuts or something, pour those out into a square box, and do your measurements from there.

Of course, you could just ask the guys at the shop.

Pyro_By_Nature
04-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Internal L X W X H / 1728

If it's slanted in the back, take the average of that to use as your depth.

hofulstrof
04-15-2006, 04:10 PM
just post all the out side measurements of the box

kingsxman
04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
box that didnt sound good:
14 (h) x 12.5 (d) x 35.5 (w)
with a depth measurement of 7" at the top. So the front of the box where the speakers are mounted was a 90 degree angle from the bottom. (right angle). The slope was so it would match exaclty the slope of my seat and it could be pushed back to the seat. Looked real good.

Box that sounds better: sub zero prefab box:
12 (h) x 13 (d) x 30 (w)
with a dept at the top of 7 inches once again. This one does NOT have a right angle to the front but a slope in the back and front.

all are 3/4 thick mdf.

Lakota
04-16-2006, 01:51 AM
the box that didn't sound good is approx 3.6 cubes, the other one is approx 2.7 cubes.

bonesninja
04-16-2006, 01:56 AM
way too big for a sealed box for those subs.......for sealed on those 10"s you should be like 27.5w x 12"h x 10.25"d that would give you a box to JL specs.

hofulstrof
04-16-2006, 05:15 AM
the box that didn't sound good is approx 3.6 cubes, the other one is approx 2.7 cubes.
check your math.... the smaller one is about 1.4 and the larger is 2.3

kingsxman
04-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Well, here's a link to what their web page with driver enclosure requirements. .. I'm not sure which one I should be looking at.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6

PV Audio
04-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Bro, just have someone on here make you a box. That way, you can't get fuked over by get-rich shops who spend about an hour to make an enclosure that isn't even custom.

kingsxman
04-17-2006, 01:28 AM
PV, Thats a possibility. I also might just try to make one myself. However I dont have alot of the tools that are probably required. Nor the time...

I KNOW the Mr. Marv boxes are good.

Buckshot
04-17-2006, 01:58 AM
PV, Thats a possibility. I also might just try to make one myself. However I dont have alot of the tools that are probably required. Nor the time...

I KNOW the Mr. Marv boxes are good.

I can whip you out a sealed box for 2 tens in no time flat, but being that I don't have the vehicle it could only be so "custom". If your interested shoot me a PM and we'll have a chat.

bjfish11
04-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I have an 02 grand prix, what kind of custom box are you looking for? Where do you want it to fit at?

saywhat?
04-17-2006, 09:47 AM
BJ for teh win.

kingsxman
04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Very plain. It doesnt even have to be custom. My old mr Marv cab was just a rectangular box. I just want it to sound good.

I may look at just doing it myself if I can get the tools needed.

saywhat?
04-17-2006, 10:03 AM
if u dont want to buy tools, i suggest going with bj. hes a very good business man. i have sold plenty of plans to him, and its always been a pleasure. ive seen plenty of deals go smoothly through him on the forum as well, with him selling the boxes he makes. from what igather, its very nice prices as well.

bjfish11
04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
thanks grant. Im getting ready to go get pics of the box i just put in for the mt's. I will post back up in a few minutes.

tRiGgEr
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
IMO 2.3 is to large for the subs. This is probably the cause of the "boomynes" you explained.

1.5 sealed for the two 10W6v2's

PV Audio
04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
BJ is a very good guy, I've had business with him as well.

Vincent9515
04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Even though $200 is above average, I don't think too many shops are getting rich from building basic boxes.

If I had an established shop with good product sales, I'm not going to spend 4hrs to sell a box for $100.

kingsxman
04-18-2006, 01:27 AM
I'm sure the dude spent a bit of time on it. Slope exactly matches rear seat slant so it fits nicely in. Perfectly carpeted. Just wrong size.

I actually talked to the guy today. Said I ended up taking his box out and putting my prefab box in because the one he built, while looking awesome, was way too boomy. I also said that the cu feet were wrong on it and it should have been less. He just looked at me with a dazed kind of look...kind of like he was amazed that I actually knew a bit about it..and kind of made small talk. At one point said that "outside measurements dont matter...its the volume that matters". Yes..and yours was off!

No love on a replacment from him...but I didnt expect it. He did a few other things on the install to take care of me that I'm just gonna eat it. But I'm glad I brought it up to him.

Spkrman
04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Even though $200 is above average, I don't think too many shops are getting rich from building basic boxes.

If I had an established shop with good product sales, I'm not going to spend 4hrs to sell a box for $100.

Yep... when you factor in the LABOR costs on building a box... it adds up fast. GOOD carpentry work isn't cheap, someone who can churn out boxes in no time is extremely expensive, and some grunt who screws up and works slower comes out just as expensive.

Not to mention the facilities to be able to make the box at the shop... you can't cut wood next to the car, you need a woodshop. The costs add up, and unless your doing alot of custom work its just not worth it. This is why nearly all shops just use prefab boxes or order out the random custom box.

Not to mention, very very few shops have a grasp of how to properly design a box... mostly because they are driven to sell more equipment, as they probably aren't making diddly on the box. The average guy doesn't understand that the box even matters, nor do they care... they want 6 12's in their corsica. I can tell you one thing though, I'm making a dent on that misconception in the south chi area :naughty:

A GOOD custom install shop will charge an arm and a leg for a box... but there are cheaper options :naughty:

kingsxman
04-18-2006, 02:26 PM
EXACTLY Spkrman!!! Thats why my original Mr. Marv box was so great. Only $150 shipped and sounded incredible. If any of you arent familiar with Marv...he's pretty well known for his enclosures over on elitecaraudio.com. Plus a great guy.

3onDubs
04-18-2006, 02:29 PM
There's a guy named BJ? That *****...his parents must have had a laugh or two.

bjfish11
04-18-2006, 11:01 PM
There's a guy named BJ? That *****...his parents must have had a laugh or two.
Thanks ****. My name is BJ, but thats not my real name fukin tard. Every heard anyone named AJ or DJ or PJ or CJ. Its initials you idiot.

PV Audio
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
...BJ isn't a strange name, I know two in my grade. There's a senior named Dyke Hearson.