PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Preout Question

Phlipbak
04-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I want an Eclipse CD-8445, but my amp (ED NINe.1) excepts only up to 7v preouts and this thing has 8v preouts, will it be ok? What will it do?

msimon
04-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I want an Eclipse CD-8445, but my amp (ED NINe.1) excepts only up to 7v preouts and this thing has 8v preouts, will it be ok? What will it do?

As long as you do not turn the volume up all the way and blast 0db sinewaves you will be fine.

Phlipbak
04-14-2006, 12:56 PM
mmm...well c i might do that lol... any other eclipse headunit i could get that has maybe a lil less?

msimon
04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
mmm...well c i might do that lol... any other eclipse headunit i could get that has maybe a lil less?

Is really that hard to not turn up the volume all the way? I have an Eclipse 8053 which puts out around ~8.5 volts unclipped at full volume and I am using it with amplifiers that only accept 5 volts. As long as I do not turn it up past 70 out of 80, the amp will not clip. Another option, is just to use attentuation. I do not know if the 8445 can do this, but on the 8053 you can adjust the level of each individual output. This way you can turn down the level of the sub out, to ensure that the HU will only put out 7 volts at full volume.

Another eclipse unit might work, but what features do you want?

Phlipbak
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I need preouts enough for my front stage comps and their ED NINe.2 theyr running off of, and I need a sub preout for my two ascendant audio arsenals and their ED NINe.1. I need a good LOOKING HU as well, and I need it to be a CD player...well duh lol, umm I need it to be single din, and I need it to play MP3 cds and all that jazz, and I would like outputs to be somewhere from 4-7 volts.. thats about it, so what can get me that?

FoxPro5
04-14-2006, 01:16 PM
You'll be fine with that 8v Eclipse. My amps accept 7v and at 70/80 on my 8053 it's pumping out 14v or so with the BLA. Like msimon said, unless you listen to the deck in the 75-80/80 range your amps will never see that voltage anyway...besides that's with a sine wave not dynamic music.

msimon
04-14-2006, 01:31 PM
I need preouts enough for my front stage comps and their ED NINe.2 theyr running off of, and I need a sub preout for my two ascendant audio arsenals and their ED NINe.1. I need a good LOOKING HU as well, and I need it to be a CD player...well duh lol, umm I need it to be single din, and I need it to play MP3 cds and all that jazz, and I would like outputs to be somewhere from 4-7 volts.. thats about it, so what can get me that?

Well with those requirements any number of lower end or older eclipse HUs would work. It all depends on what you want as far as processing.

99StangGt
04-14-2006, 01:45 PM
No problem. My old 8454 was 8v was using it with an Eclipse amp that the gain was 5v. Used it like that for 2 years.

pwnt by pat
04-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Ecipse 8v preouts have been used on Soundstream 2v inputs without any problems. Have fun

Colin+M
04-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Do your ears and equipment a favor and don't run your h/u at full volume:)

Good luck to a fellow Alabamian

mattldm
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I have a question on this subject.

I just bought a CD8445 (8V preouts) and I will be using it with an Elemental Designs Nine.4 amp which says 7V max for the inputs. I asked someone at ED and they said as long as I kept the gains on the amp at the minimum setting it would be fine. So does this mean that I wont be able to adjust the gains on the amp at all?

FoxPro5
05-09-2006, 04:04 PM
So does this mean that I wont be able to adjust the gains on the amp at all?

No it does not mean that. Again, the 8v decks put out 8v MAX unclipped voltage when the deck volume as at or near 80/80 while playing a sine wave. Under normal listening to dynamice music it probably puts out like 1-2 volts.

So just adjust the gains accordingly using your ear and/or with a multimeter and you will be good to go. :D

khail19
05-09-2006, 04:07 PM
You can turn up the gains, but only as much as you need. Since I've had my 8053, my comp amp gain has been at minimum, and I listen to it around 55-60 on the volume. So try it first with the gains down all the way, turn the HU up until it's as loud as you'll ever listen to it. I doubt you will get all the way to max volume. If you do, then adjust the gain up a bit and do it again. Keeping the amp gains low will also keep more noise out of your system.

MadAudio
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
read the sig :)

mattldm
05-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.

With my current deck (Eclipse 5341R - 2.7V preouts) I have the gains set just above 1/2 on both amp channels. (Front - DLS MS-5 comps, rear bridged to 10" 11Kv.2) I have the volume/gain set so 60/80 is about as loud as I can stand. I'm guessing that with the new headunit the gains on the amp will be considerably lower for the same amount of volume at 60/80.

With my old/current deck I notice that there is little difference in the volume incrase from 0-38 but from 38-50 the volume jumps A LOT. then from 50-60 the difference is again smaller. It seems to have a small window where the output increases non in a linear way. Anyone else notice this with newer eclipse decks or is it just my old deck?

Thx

Hundreth
05-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.

With my current deck (Eclipse 5341R - 2.7V preouts) I have the gains set just above 1/2 on both amp channels. (Front - DLS MS-5 comps, rear bridged to 10" 11Kv.2) I have the volume/gain set so 60/80 is about as loud as I can stand. I'm guessing that with the new headunit the gains on the amp will be considerably lower for the same amount of volume at 60/80.

With my old/current deck I notice that there is little difference in the volume incrase from 0-38 but from 38-50 the volume jumps A LOT. then from 50-60 the difference is again smaller. It seems to have a small window where the output increases non in a linear way. Anyone else notice this with newer eclipse decks or is it just my old deck?

Thx

I notice the same, I think it has something to do with making it work better with the remote. It is definately weird though and i really don't like the way Eclipse made the whole volume thing work. It increments by 2 until volume 50, and then you can increment by 1. Its all still slow as hell with that **** remote.

khail19
05-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Same with me, I've never used the remote though. I set the gains so I'm usually around 60, but when I want really loud it's still safe at 65 or so.

mattldm
05-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Received and installed the CD8445 tonight and adjusted the gains by ear for now. Funny thing with the 8V preouts I had to turn the subwoofer channel gain down quite a bit, but I ended up leaving the front channels gain about the same as it was with the old deck. I have maximum volume I can listen to at about 55 now instead of 60 on the old deck (of course it depends on the CD)

the Eclipse came with a huge manual with tons of pages of the most basic information about how to turn the thing on and off, but very little, to no, useful information about how the PEQ, Q settings, frequency selector, etc. actually work. Its tells you push this and it will do that - but it doesnt tell you what it means! :furious:

Oh well, even with just basic adjustments the sound is great! very clear, dynamic, and detailed. So far I am impressed, I just need to figure out how to adjust everything.

BTW - the amber matches my toyota amber to a T, and the blue/amber setting looks great with the blue knobs and amber buttons. :D

I tried to take some pics with my new Nikon Dig. camera but I could not figure out the night settings. I need to read the novel like manual I guess!? :rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/mattldm/stereo/Blue-Amber.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/mattldm/stereo/DSCN0092.jpg