PDA

View Full Version : Lowes Is Awesome!!!

terry6405
04-13-2006, 09:45 PM
i just thought i would pass this on to everyone on here because it was really convienent for me.....

i ordered a piece of mdf from lowes today at about noon and asked if they could cut it for me and he said it was free for 2 cuts and 25 cents after that, so i gave him my cut sheet over the phone and he said he was gonna work on it.

anyway i called just now and he said it was a total of 5 cuts, so its gonna be $22 after tax when i pick it up tomarro for perfectly cut pieces for my box, isnt that awesome? sorry if you already knew that already but i just think its the greatest think since sliced bread....only its wood....

im never touching a circular saw again......

Untouchable11
04-13-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm going to doubt that they are perfect cuts, unless I'm thinking of a different Lowe's....

SAG3
04-13-2006, 09:48 PM
perfect cuts......... ahahahahhahahahhahahhahha

bimma85
04-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm going to doubt that they are perfect cuts, unless I'm thinking of a different Lowe's....
guy at my lowes gave me excellent cuts. I didnt try to rush him or anything though, just stood aroud and bullshitted for a while and he did a cut every now and then :). Can't wait til my uncle wood shop is ready to go though :D.

Untouchable11
04-13-2006, 09:52 PM
The only cuts that I got at Lowe's were very very crooked :(... The guy looked like he had never seen a saw in his life...

terry6405
04-13-2006, 09:54 PM
well it they have a table saw, i dont see a problem

ill post what happens tomarro, and ill be sure to make a stink if they are not straight

terry6405
04-13-2006, 09:59 PM
its kinda funny though, whenever i post something on here, no matter what it is, people ***** all over it, actually, the same people.......

where ng and his 2 bits? hes always got something to add, lets see if im right......

JAZN
04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I thought I read the title wrong, I thought it said "Lowes Is Awesome!!!"
No wait, it does. :p:

With Lowes/HD, it's either hit or miss. They only guarantee the cuts within 1/4", so they can mess up within that parameter all they want (however some people have gotten way worse mistakes from them). I hope your wood comes out right. When I had my wood cut, all the important pieces were correct but the trim pieces were not all right.

Pyro_By_Nature
04-13-2006, 10:36 PM
They don't have a table saw.They use a panel saw, which can make some accurate cuts, buuuuuuuuut most of the employees there don't have the slightest clue on using them.If you get someone who actually takes pride in their job, ok.You might get some good cuts.

Perfect cuts though? ROFLMFAO!11ONE!!1!!ONE!!1!

When I've had to get wood cut there, they were off and crooked as hell.One side would be 1" shorter than the other.Table saw or circular saw + me = FTW!

I haven't seen any of your other threads, but maybe people **** on them because they're stupid?

regal8r
04-13-2006, 10:39 PM
HD charges a dollar per cut AND they cant even really cut right... :crap:

Prowler573
04-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Hope it works out for you, terry :thumbsup:

If it does? Ooooooowhatta deal, right?

If it doesn't (as you cannot remove the human component from the equation thus there will be the possibility of error) then take the most jagged piece and beat the guy within an inch of his life ;)

JAZN
04-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Thats a rather expensive HD. Mine is first 2 cuts free, any after that are 25cents, and over 10 cuts IIRC they start charging by the hour some exorbitant amount.

Lil Poot
04-13-2006, 10:43 PM
i wouldnt trust anyone at a place like that to make cuts for something that has to be AIRTIGHT.

Jameseypoo
04-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Lowe's cut mine and did a great job.

James Bang
04-13-2006, 11:24 PM
I live between 2 HDs and they both have different prices for cuts. One give TEN! cuts for free, the other is 4 I think. + 25 cents thereafter.

Storm90
04-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I work at Lowe's and i can pretty much tell you those cuts are off by a little bit. The people who are cutting the wood don't really care too much.

Expy2K
04-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Dude I love lowes they always have that table with tools that are 50% off because they are missing something..

I got a Kobalt tool set for super cheap the other day

:)

937DYTBOI
04-14-2006, 12:06 AM
yea thats pretty convienet, i had a guy cut my wood and he didnt know what the hell he was doing, and instead of easing the saw through he was ripping the saw through making terrible ends, so i made him do it again the right way, ****in dumb *** whipe

terry6405
04-14-2006, 12:27 AM
well if they are un acceptable, i wont pay for them, simple as that.

how can they make me?

i had him go over the list like 3 times on the phone and he repeated them back right all 3 times.

i am kinda woried because he sounded like a younger guy, but he sounded kind of excited to do it when itold him it was a sub box, so mabey he has build a box or 2, that would be nice. and hopefully he just understood that they needed to be air tight

im totally bringing a measuring tape and checking all the cuts all the way through

937DYTBOI
04-14-2006, 12:29 AM
maybe he will hate on u cause he doesnt want ur stuff to sound as good as his

Showrides
04-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Well home depot cut an entire box for me once for free.

HOME DEPOT FTW!!!!

I just walked in and we went over to cut the mdf so I could fit it in a durango. I asked, would you mind cutting it into a 1 cubic foot box for me? The guy is like sure we can do that. Then he goes, you building speaker box? Great customer service.

baseballer1100
04-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Wow. this thread couldnt come at a better time. Went to lowes today and got wood though i would let them cut my food since all the cuts were free. I almost **** myself after this. Well the guy was really good and all my cuts are perfect. He did a great job.

kuijo
04-14-2006, 12:41 AM
i had two diffrent HD's cut my wood on two seperate occasions, but never again...

terry6405
04-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Wow. this thread couldnt come at a better time. Went to lowes today and got wood though i would let them cut my food since all the cuts were free. I almost **** myself after this. Well the guy was really good and all my cuts are perfect. He did a great job.

good deal, hope mine are too

baseballer1100
04-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Well i watched the guy and then measured twice for assurance but none the less he did a great job. For free anyway

SAG3
04-14-2006, 08:50 PM
pick up your **** yet?

88Vette
04-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Lowes did me right too!

I went to the HD..dump and they told me their saw was broke........WTF??? :furious:
I asked the guy if he was kidding....he said nope, been broke for a while now!
:verymad:
A home improvement store that can't cut wood because of a broke saw...

I went down the road to Lowes and they hooked me up with the free cuts....

Lowes is my friend.
:)

954runner
04-14-2006, 09:00 PM
i went in to HD one time, bought the wood and asked if they charged for cuts. the guy pitched a fit saying they wouldnt do it... so i was like ok ill cut it at my friends house. then he goes 'hold on, ill see if *so and so* is back there'. it was some old guy. he didnt sound thrilled. but he did it, and they were good cuts. didnt get charged... but they were such b1tches. not gonna ask them again

Hartman
04-14-2006, 10:57 PM
i went in to HD one time, bought the wood and asked if they charged for cuts. the guy pitched a fit saying they wouldnt do it... so i was like ok ill cut it at my friends house. then he goes 'hold on, ill see if *so and so* is back there'. it was some old guy. he didnt sound thrilled. but he did it, and they were good cuts. didnt get charged... but they were such b1tches. not gonna ask them again

they really didn't create this service so lazy ******* like you can come in with a whole sheet of cuts to make. it astounds me how scared some of you are to pick up a **** jigsaw, that way you can be SURE the cuts are straight and your measurements are correct. yet you ***** when you have Cletus down at Home Depot make your cuts on a panel saw that probably has had the same blade for 2 years and the fence hasn't been adjusted for the same amount of time.

WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF.

baseballer1100
04-14-2006, 11:00 PM
they really didn't create this service so lazy ******* like you can come in with a whole sheet of cuts to make. it astounds me how scared some of you are to pick up a **** jigsaw, that way you can be SURE the cuts are straight and your measurements are correct. yet you ***** when you have Cletus down at Home Depot make your cuts on a panel saw that probably has had the same blade for 2 years and the fence hasn't been adjusted for the same amount of time.

Some companys do charge? I think its there for a reason. I could be wrong but isnt there for lazy *******?

PhatTonyDeMarco
04-14-2006, 11:05 PM

I would never use a jigsaw for cuts that long... That would be stupid. And some people dont want to spend $50+ on a circular saw or a table saw because they wouldnt have much use for it other than the one or two times they would be building an enclosure. And the panel saw is there to provide a service, they do not have a maximum cut limit, and they are making money from the cuts, so whats the big deal?

Home Depot over here also has some assholes... Everytime I have had them cut my wood, the person I ask ends up walking around looking for someone else to do it because he doesnt feel like it. One guy actually said "I'm not cutting all this ****." I have never tried Lowe's, maybe next time...

Hartman
04-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I would never use a jigsaw for cuts that long... That would be stupid. And some people dont want to spend $50+ on a circular saw or a table saw because they wouldnt have much use for it other than the one or two times they would be building an enclosure. And the panel saw is there to provide a service, they do not have a maximum cut limit, and they are making money from the cuts, so whats the big deal?

Home Depot over here also has some assholes... Everytime I have had them cut my wood, the person I ask ends up walking around looking for someone else to do it because he doesnt feel like it. One guy actually said "I'm not cutting all this ****." I have never tried Lowe's, maybe next time...

and those are certainly the type of people I want to do my cutting. :rolleyes:

baseballer1100
04-14-2006, 11:16 PM
and those are certainly the type of people I want to do my cutting. :rolleyes:

There are some like that not all. And if you dont want them to then dont. Dont come on here and ***** about something. Some people have good experiences and some have bad. Obviously you had a bad one.;)

Lil Poot
04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
gotta agree with the statement of if you want something done right do it yourself. but im one of those people who **** near collects tools, i've got at least 2000 dollars in tools at home, another 700 or so at work, not counting the 2 toolsboxes.

terry6405
04-15-2006, 02:53 AM
well, i got my wood, and like you guys said, it isnt perfect, but its close enought, actually strighter than i cut my last box so.....

box is coming along good though

Leeiswho2b
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I've had mine cut @ Lowes before. Is great for someone who doesn't own their own tools. They made some bad cuts on mine before, but would just replace the piece for me without any hassle. That's why you are paying them for. Would be more accurate than a beginner taking a jigsaw to it, and less expensive than replacing w/ another sheet!

Lakota
04-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I work at Lowes:) , but I work in lawn and garden:(

JAZN
04-16-2006, 03:35 AM
I've had mine cut @ Lowes before. Is great for someone who doesn't own their own tools. They made some bad cuts on mine before, but would just replace the piece for me without any hassle. That's why you are paying them for. Would be more accurate than a beginner taking a jigsaw to it, and less expensive than replacing w/ another sheet!
Exactly. You gotta be pretty damm good with a jigsaw to cut an entire big box and have all the cuts anywhere near as straight as a table saw. It's not an issue of laziness but more of an issue of a lack of resources.

Hartman
04-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Exactly. You gotta be pretty damm good with a jigsaw to cut an entire big box and have all the cuts anywhere near as straight as a table saw. It's not an issue of laziness but more of an issue of a lack of resources.

clamp a t-square down on the piece and guide the jigsaw along the t-square. perfect cuts.

vorgath
04-16-2006, 11:03 AM
I have to agree though, I'm abou to get the stuff to build my first box, and I want to cut as little as possible myself, I don't have access to really good equipment for cutting long straight lines.

954runner
04-16-2006, 11:12 AM

what the **** is your problem?
honestly, please tell me you are kidding me

i dont have a ****ing jigsaw at my house. or a table saw. or a circular saw. and i cant fit a whole ****ing sheet of mdf in my car. ive built/cut 3 out of the 4 boxes i own. the only one i had them cut was that one you *** hole.

when i go to a store and buy something, i expect some service. obviously, my opinion differs from you, where i guess you like being treated like ****.

so seriously, shut the **** up.

SUB_URBAN
04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
clamp a t-square down on the piece and guide the jigsaw along the t-square. perfect cuts.
Do this everytime, and it works like a charm.

ramos
04-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I have two table saws. But I hate dealing with an entire 4 x 8 sheet. So I always have them at least cut it in half for me. Some times even thirds. Makes handleing it a heck of a lot easier. :)

IamDeMan
04-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Exactly. I only have them rip em half so I can get them home. I used to hand them cut sheets before I had a table saw and they were never perfect.

IgnoreMe
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
what the **** is your problem?
honestly, please tell me you are kidding me

i dont have a ****ing jigsaw at my house. or a table saw. or a circular saw. and i cant fit a whole ****ing sheet of mdf in my car. ive built/cut 3 out of the 4 boxes i own. the only one i had them cut was that one you *** hole.

when i go to a store and buy something, i expect some service. obviously, my opinion differs from you, where i guess you like being treated like ****.

so seriously, shut the **** up.
he is right for the most part though. i used to work at lowes and the policy is that we didnt do project cuts. meaning, cutting the sheet down to perfect little peices so you can build a shelf, a stand, cabinets, or in this case, a subwoofer box. did i do project cuts? yes cause im a nice guy, and when i found out some people were making sub boxes, i took extra time to get them right, because like he said, the blades and the fence havent been adjusted at my lowes since it opened, and never when i worked there. its difficult for us to cut it right on perfect when we have ****** equipment, and then get yelled at cause the cut was off an 1/8th of an inch. but in all seriousness we were only there to cut the peices down to size to carry. now i must say that this dudes temper needs adjustment cause you dont need to throw a hissy fit like that just cause someone wanted a sub box cut a lowes.

IgnoreMe
04-17-2006, 01:45 PM
i wouldnt trust anyone at a place like that to make cuts for something that has to be AIRTIGHT.
you ever heard of caulking?....

Crown_amps
04-17-2006, 03:52 PM
i just thought i would pass this on to everyone on here because it was really convienent for me.....

i ordered a piece of mdf from lowes today at about noon and asked if they could cut it for me and he said it was free for 2 cuts and 25 cents after that, so i gave him my cut sheet over the phone and he said he was gonna work on it.

anyway i called just now and he said it was a total of 5 cuts, so its gonna be $22 after tax when i pick it up tomarro for perfectly cut pieces for my box, isnt that awesome? sorry if you already knew that already but i just think its the greatest think since sliced bread....only its wood....

im never touching a circular saw again......

a local lumber store charged me a dollar per cut and the total was like 30 bucks...AFTER I BOUGHT 30 bucks worth of mdf :furious:

glad you got a good deal man i got the worst deal possible other than a kick in the nuts and lighting my hair on fire then charging me for it.:crap:

Fast1one
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
clamp a t-square down on the piece and guide the jigsaw along the t-square. perfect cuts.Listen to this guy :cool: Im going to try Lowes for once just for shits and giggles, but if im unsatisfied, ill do it myself :) I dont have a ton of time on my hands, so if Lowes can save me the trouble by cutting it for me AND do it right, all will be gravy.

1loudsuv
04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
ganahl lumber is about 27$ a sheet and they dont charge me for cuts... but they usually do a pretty good job at cutting my wood. just this last time i went it was some guy i had never seen before. and he messed up two cuts by 1/4 of an inch.. oh well at least the rest of the cuts where perfect. im getting a table saw soon :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/100_1349.jpg

wlmrs
04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I 've been working at hd for 4 1/2 yrs now and i've never *ucked a cut up,not once.It really depends on who's helping you and if they use that stupid tape measure that's attached to the panel saw.I only use that if the customer doesn't care if it's accurate or not.Most of the time i use my own tape.;)

krouchchocolate
04-17-2006, 05:15 PM
i usually just use my own tape measure and move the wood to where i want the wood to be cut. All they do is just move the saw down for me. Now i get perfect cuts when i do it my way =)

hoss
07-21-2006, 12:45 AM
:chicken:

Insomniac119
07-21-2006, 02:10 AM
I've done that before, I only need 3 cuts IIRC. One was an eighth too big, but it worked out ok.

Colt9699
07-21-2006, 02:51 AM
i am going to Lowes tomorrow and gonna get a sheet of mdf and have them cut it for me, i imagine they cant be any worse at it than me. and I dont have the tool at my disposle to do it.

Insomniac119
07-21-2006, 03:05 AM
i am going to Lowes tomorrow and gonna get a sheet of mdf and have them cut it for me, i imagine they cant be any worse at it than me. and I dont have the tool at my disposle to do it.

tru dat.

I'm forced to use 4x4's to hold the MDF off the ground, a clamped down ruler one and some odd inches away from the actual cut, and a circular saw.

Ghetto table saw FTW!

JAZN
07-21-2006, 07:21 AM
lmao :chicken:

hoss
07-21-2006, 08:10 AM
lmao :chicken:
see how much fun this is :)